Everyone in SS class with cog. dis.

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
shadow

Everyone in SS class with cog. dis.

Post by shadow » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:00 pm

I have avoided SS and EQ for a lot of this year, but have been going more lately because my wife wants me there to help in case my 2 year old needs to go to the bathroom since my wife is usually tied up with her primary presidency calling.

The lesson in SS this week was about the gathering of the lost tribes of Israel. At one point, the teacher read a quote from Joseph F. Smith about how most members of the church were actually literal descendants of Ephraim, and that our patriarchal blessings tell us that. People were then discussing whether our patriarchal blessings tell us our literal lineage (spoiler alert: they're all made up) or whether it's just our adopted lineage. At which point when some pointed back to the quote from Pres. Smith about it being a literal lineage, a brother said he didn't understand how that could be because his kids had blessings saying that they were from different tribes.

This really stumped people. The teacher hemmed and hawed for a second until she said that she could give an answer, but that she would just be making it up. No one ever gave a satisfactory answer (another spoiler alert: it's not real). I don't actually think I'd be spoiling anything, but man, people just couldn't bring themselves to the most obvious answer.

I was sitting in the back and actually audibly chuckled to myself. Maybe it would have been more respectful to just sit in the hall.
"Healing is impossible in loneliness; it is the opposite of loneliness. Conviviality is healing. To be healed we must come with all the other creates to the feast of Creation." --Wendell Berry

2bizE

Re: Everyone in SS class with cog. dis.

Post by 2bizE » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:50 pm

I had the same lesson. Perhaps your answer to the question. Would have been, "maybe this was one of the times when Joseph f Smith was talking as a man and not as a prophet?"
~2bizE

shadow

Post by shadow » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:12 pm

I actually didn't stick around for the end. Talk about blessed lineages was not something I really wanted to listen to, not ever, but particularly not this week. It's also too infuriating to have the verses read in the Book of Abraham about blessing Abraham's seed while ignoring the verses a bit earlier in the book about cursing other lineages. But we never actually had a racist doctrine, right? Just a misguided policy? Not exactly the healing balm I was hoping to get from church. (I know. I was at the wrong church for that. I'm actually on the email list for the Universalist Unitarian church that is actually right next door to our LDS chapel, and the response to current event was much, much more apropos.)
"Healing is impossible in loneliness; it is the opposite of loneliness. Conviviality is healing. To be healed we must come with all the other creates to the feast of Creation." --Wendell Berry

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:50 am

shadow wrote:I actually didn't stick around for the end. Talk about blessed lineages was not something I really wanted to listen to, not ever, but particularly not this week. It's also too infuriating to have the verses read in the Book of Abraham about blessing Abraham's seed while ignoring the verses a bit earlier in the book about cursing other lineages.
Blessed lineages never made a lot of sense to me. I suppose it hearkens back to an over-simplified, romantic view of kings and feudalism, but it makes no sense in an religion where the ordinances of salvation are individual and apply to everyone including Jesus Christ who was baptized by John. The idea of "Abraham's seed" seems to cause far more problems than it solves considering that Christians, Muslims, and Jews claim privileges from this genealogy. The rest of the world shrugs as if this makes any difference whatsoever.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:20 am

I'm from Ephraim. So is my Chinese wife. But her sister isn't even from the house of Israel, she's descended from Japheth. That tells me about all I need to know about the reliability of this particular form of fortune telling.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Spicy McHaggis

Post by Spicy McHaggis » Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:07 pm

It seems like the whole 12 Tribes thing is another corner JS painted the church in to.

Perhaps in 1830 enough people still believed in a literal 12 tribes existing the way they did when Jacob (I think) doled it all out to his 12 sons. In today's world does ANYONE still take that literally? That 12 "tribes" are going to come together after 4,000 years? To begin with, there would probably be tens of millions of them, and they're all supposed to descend on Independence, Missouri?

Does anyone who prepares these lesson plans in the COB ever take these things to their conclusions?

I asked an institute teacher if I was a literal descendant of one of the tribes, or if I was part of the so-called 'adoption'. He said I was a literal descendant which I can't quite wrap my head around. Maybe they think anyone who is white is a literal descendant.

The 12 Tribes: one more item pushing down on the shelf.

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:53 pm

As a class activity/homework assignment, I would have suggested that each person in the room get their DNA tested and come back with the results. Spoiler alert: you all have 10% neanderthal DNA! Wait, were those the descendants of Cain? :twisted:
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:36 pm

RubinHighlander wrote:As a class activity/homework assignment, I would have suggested that each person in the room get their DNA tested and come back with the results. Spoiler alert: you all have 10% neanderthal DNA! Wait, were those the descendants of Cain? :twisted:
Hold on, we do not yet have a revelation that Neanderthals are allowed to hold the priesthood.

shadow

Post by shadow » Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:14 pm

RubinHighlander wrote:As a class activity/homework assignment, I would have suggested that each person in the room get their DNA tested and come back with the results. Spoiler alert: you all have 10% neanderthal DNA! Wait, were those the descendants of Cain? :twisted:
That was actually my last straw for sitting through the days lesson. Someone started to try and make and argument that we have DNA from all over so we likely have some Israelite DNA, so we are literal descendants. Just like the First Nations all have hebrew DNA markers, right? From their Lamanite parents?

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:59 am

Spicy McHaggis wrote:Perhaps in 1830 enough people still believed in a literal 12 tribes existing the way they did when Jacob (I think) doled it all out to his 12 sons. In today's world does ANYONE still take that literally? That 12 "tribes" are going to come together after 4,000 years?
Jesus does. Or at least the 3rd Nephi version of him does. He says he's going to visit them in the secret place where God is hiding them.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:05 am

Corsair wrote:Hold on, we do not yet have a revelation that Neanderthals are allowed to hold the priesthood.
Mind blown. If Brigham believed that death on the spot was the appropriate response to someone with even a drop of the "blood of Cain" how would he feel about a significant percentage of Neanderthal blood?

News flash to Brigham: you are 100% African if you do your genealogy thoroughly.

Spicy McHaggis

Post by Spicy McHaggis » Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:31 am

Hagoth wrote:
Corsair wrote:Hold on, we do not yet have a revelation that Neanderthals are allowed to hold the priesthood.
Mind blown. If Brigham believed that death on the spot was the appropriate response to someone with even a drop of the "blood of Cain" how would he feel about a significant percentage of Neanderthal blood?

News flash to Brigham: you are 100% African if you do your genealogy thoroughly.
Perfect! I would love to see the look on Brig's face when someone told him he came from Africa.

oliblish

Post by oliblish » Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:06 am

I think it is actually between 1% and 4% for most Europeans and Asians. From what I understand, as long as you are less than 1/16th (6.25%) Neanderthal DNA you are ok for the Priesthood and Temple.
Stands next to Kolob, called by the Egyptians Oliblish, which is the next grand governing creation near to the celestial or the place where God resides; holding the key of power also, pertaining to other planets; as revealed from God to Abraham

moksha

Post by moksha » Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:45 pm

shadow wrote: People were then discussing whether our patriarchal blessings tell us our literal lineage (spoiler alert: they're all made up) or whether it's just our adopted lineage.
Every person on the message board comes from tribes that were well established before any Bible Stories came into being.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha