Temple Prep

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Korihor

Temple Prep

Post by Korihor » Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:44 pm

Background:
My friend in this ward is approx 40 yrs old and unendowed. He has been wanting to go to the temple for a while and it look likes the final plans are being put in place. He's married to a nevermo. He was active as a youth and then left church in young adulthood and came back a few years ago. She's supportive of his religion and him of hers, but it's been a challenge for him to get a recommend because - tithing.

Anyway, I really don't know what temple prep he's received already, but I imagine at least something.

I debating with myself to say something and offer a better explanation of what to expect. I've copied him on a few of my emails to the BP, so he knows of my lack of belief but we've remained friends.

I think he'll be just fine regardless. I don't want to better explain things to deter him, but simply to make it a better experience since he'll only have ward members and no family at it. Which is also making me consider dusting off my recommend and joining him.

Thoughts?
Reading can severely damage your ignorance.

Corsair

Re: Temple Prep

Post by Corsair » Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:56 pm

That's a tough call. I would offer to answer any questions he might have, but it's probably best to let him know that you can help explain the crazy if needed. He's jumping into a high pressure social situation that he may not comprehend.

MalcolmVillager

Post by MalcolmVillager » Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:26 pm

Yeah tough one there. I will only go to the temple for special situations now. I have a TR for another year and do not consider myself any less worthy than anyone else although depending on leadership rulette, I probably have a less than 50% chance of having a BP or SP tell.me that with full disclosures on belief and actions. I also feel no draw to go.

I would probably go if invited and explain that I have a very nontraditional view of the temple if the friend cares to discuss before or after.

I have only seen the new movie once but it was excruciatingly slow and dramatic. I don't see millenials enjoying that show. I will only go for special things, of which I have none on the horizon luckily.

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:57 pm

I wouldn't worry too much. His chances of staying totally active for more than 5 years is slim. His wife will have issues with tithing. She will want to go do things on Sundays, and he will correctly decide his love for his wife is more important than hanging out with a bunch of crazy Mormons for three hours on Sunday.
~2bizE