Church historical issues in other languages?

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
azflyer

Church historical issues in other languages?

Post by azflyer » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:06 am

I recently had a former missionary companion from South America send me a history channel video that was dubbed in Spanish that essentially claimed Lehi's journey was not possible. I've included a link to the English portion of the video below. I don't really want to debate the video, but what I am interested in is understanding how much of our church's historical 'problems' have been translated into other languages? Is much of this material available in Spanish? Portuguese? Other languages?

I was somewhat surprised that this former missionary companion sent me this video. He very much presents as a TBM and actually comes back to Utah for conference every few years. I wonder if he might be starting the process of going through a faith crisis. Unfortunately, my Spanish skills have deteriorated to the point that I could probably not be much help for him if he is. I barely know what to say to people in English about this topic, let alone in Spanish.

https://youtu.be/-p0KenD1NGE

Fifi de la Vergne

Re: Church historical issues in other languages?

Post by Fifi de la Vergne » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:30 am

I have heard that Hans Mattson, former Area Seventy, just published a book in Swedish that is causing a bit of a stir over there. Apparently it deals extensively with his learning of all the church's problems, including the historical issues, and his subsequent disaffection.
Joy is the emotional expression of the courageous Yes to one's own true being.

alas

Post by alas » Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:03 am

My son was on his mission in Brazil some 14 years ago and then there was really nothing that the church itself had not translated. He knew a bishop who found out from a missionary from Utah that the early church had practiced polygamy. He had been a member some 25 years and read everything in Portugese he could get his hands on about the church and had never once heard that Brigham Young had multiple wives, as in 50 odd. He was disillusioned and horrified and felt betrayed because in all his years of studying Mormonism, no approved church material had ever mentioned it. He asked my son, and my son didn't know how to help, other than to mumble that it is not something that the church likes to talk about because in the US where everybody knows the history of polygamy, it is a very old bad joke. The man could understand not wanting to talk about it, but didn't understand why the church couldn't be honest with its own members who don't speak English about the fact that it did happen. My son felt that his disillusionment about being deceived was going to take him out of the church and didn't know how to help.

So, in areas where no one cares about some weird little US sect, no on bothers to translate the negative stuff and the church keeps unfaithful promoting stuff carefully out of all the information that it translates, so no, there is not much available in other languages. Which is why the church is now doing well in Africa where no factual information is available and doing terrible in Europe where English is everybody's second language.

Margarita

Post by Margarita » Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:13 pm

I just want to say...Woot!! This is all good news to me and I am surprised!!

w2mz

Post by w2mz » Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:20 pm

Manuel over at pesquisas mormonas has done a lot of translation work porting documents and recent events to Spanish. I’ve listened to about every one of his podcasts and they are great.

http://pesquisasmormonas.podbean.com/

http://sainesburyproject.com/pmblog

I highly recommend his site.

Un buen trabajo Manuel!
The church has engineered your eternal family into a commodity that can be purchased with an annual fee. The fact that full tithing payment is a requirement for saving ordinances is the biggest red flag imaginable. Hagoth

Raylan Givens

Post by Raylan Givens » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:50 pm

Not much happening in this front. I think Ryan McKnight and others are thinking of starting something that is more international.

I think Google translate and the connecting of the developing world will change this. Including, all the growth in West Africa.
"Ah, you know, I think you use the Bible to do whatever the hell you like" - Raylan Givens