“Have you been reading the Book of Mormon?”

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
didyoumythme

“Have you been reading the Book of Mormon?”

Post by didyoumythme » Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:35 pm

What is the best way to respond to this question from family or church leaders? There is so much implied by this loaded question. Any issues a person has with the church are because they aren’t reading/praying enough.

Saying “no”just leaves them feeling smug as they tell you to repent.

Any tips on good ways to respond?

My thought was to say something like, “No, I don’t find much value in it, but I have been reading other things that inspire me”.
When an honest man discovers he is mistaken, he will either cease being honest, or cease being mistaken. - Anonymous

Brent

Re: “Have you been reading the Book of Mormon?”

Post by Brent » Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:04 pm

Yeah. And it came to pass that I have saved thousands by getting off Ambien.

Mormorrisey

Post by Mormorrisey » Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:51 pm

Because I've anticipated that question, I have indeed been reading the BOM - just the 1830 version with notes from the excellent JS Papers project website. And I'm comparing it to the "regular" version while I do it. Not only is it fun and and an exercise in critical thinking about the book, it fits in with the mormon mindset. So I can answer yes to those questions, that's the main thing. I probably read more "scriptures" and more about mormonism than 99% of the members of my stake.

Whether or not you WANT to do this is another matter entirely. But that's how I answer that question!
"And I don't need you...or, your homespun philosophies."
"And when you try to break my spirit, it won't work, because there's nothing left to break."

dogbite

Post by dogbite » Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:16 pm

Same as always. --A fine non answer

Not as much as you.

Is there a problem with that?

The Book of Mormon is good. --a non answer, now change the subject, sure is hot lately Or redirect so what is your favorite part? Then wax rhapsodic on the inspired Isaiah parts.

I do as wisdom dictates. --(What it's been dictating lately we'll not go into)

I've been seeking out of the best books words of wisdom. --A nice scriptural reference

Why do you ask?

Will it make a difference if you knew?

Why would that be any of your business?

No, the Book of Mormon is what broke my testimony. --If they really want the truth from me and I feel like giving it to them.
Last edited by dogbite on Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

didyoumythme

Post by didyoumythme » Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:17 pm

Mormorrisey wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:51 pm
Whether or not you WANT to do this is another matter entirely. But that's how I answer that question!
I have considered this approach...one verse a day and I could answer yes! I just can’t get myself to do it anymore now that I consider it fiction. I also like to push back against the way the church tells our stories for us. If we just say yes, then members can go on believing there really aren’t issues with any of it.

But alas...gotta try to maintain those relationships. The cult has such a strong grip on their minds!
When an honest man discovers he is mistaken, he will either cease being honest, or cease being mistaken. - Anonymous

didyoumythme

Post by didyoumythme » Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:21 pm

dogbite wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:16 pm
I've been seeking out of the best books words of wisdom. --A nice scriptural reference
I like this one! Leaves them with no way to condescend.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:45 pm

I don't have any real insight on how to answer "the question", but any non-believer who does actually want to "read" the book of mormon, should look into the "My Book of Mormon Podcast".

If anyone actually asks me if I've been reading the BoM, I can honestly answer that yes, I have "read" the BoM since I found out the truth about LDS-Inc. I have also "read" the Pearl of Great Price, and I"m almost finished with the D&C. (No, my "testimony" has not been restored, though it has been very enlightening.)

DRINK! :D
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

IT_Veteran

Post by IT_Veteran » Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:42 am

When I would get that question I would answer honestly - I’m trying to. I would usually follow up with more truth - that the more I read it, the less I felt it was true. I eventually stopped reading it because I felt like whatever belief I had was completely destroyed by it.

Dravin

Post by Dravin » Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:43 pm

didyoumythme wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:35 pm
What is the best way to respond to this question from family or church leaders? There is so much implied by this loaded question. Any issues a person has with the church are because they aren’t reading/praying enough.

Saying “no”just leaves them feeling smug as they tell you to repent.
There are ways to respond ranging from simple sincerity to smug snarkiness, but really anything but, "Yes, and I have seen the light!" is going to result in that smug call to repentance.
Any tips on good ways to respond?
I'm a snarky sorta guy, if someone or someones were pestering me with the question I'd be inclined to respond with something like: "No, I've been feeding my need for fiction with <insert fiction book>." or "Naw, haven't been in the mood for fiction lately. I've been loving <insert non-fiction book> though."

If I was in a more sincere mood I'd probably just lay out the truth, "No. That's probably for the best though, while for you it is a faith affirming experience for me it's a book full of anachronisms, incongruities with Modern Mormon doctrine, and teaches things I find repugnant."
Hindsight is all well and good... until you trip.

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:01 pm

I am fairly certain I read more than most.

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:31 pm

The Young Men's President in my ward has challenged all of the youth to read the Book of Mormon this summer. I may be railroaded into getting into the Book of Mormon for the first time in more than a decade. It might be a good experiment.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:32 pm

Thoughtful wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:01 pm
I am fairly certain I read more than most.
This triggered another goofy response in my noggin:

"I'm pretty sure I've read the first few chapters of 1st Nephi hundreds, if not thousands of times." (Does that count as "reading the BoM"?)
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Raylan Givens

Post by Raylan Givens » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:44 pm

Just say, "no, I'm good." In a 13 year old matter of fact voice.
They won't know what to say.
"Ah, you know, I think you use the Bible to do whatever the hell you like" - Raylan Givens

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:33 am

I prefer to listen to it.
BOMmusical.png
BOMmusical.png (97.07 KiB) Viewed 11184 times
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:27 am

Check this site out. It will give BOM readers a broader perspective. :) https://skepticsannotatedbible.com/BoM/index.htm
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

GoodBoy

Post by GoodBoy » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:35 am

I say it hurts my testimony to read scriptures because I see the humanness in them... which is true.
Always been the good kid, but I wanted to know more, and to find and test truth.

Mahonri Moriancumer

Post by Mahonri Moriancumer » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:55 pm

What do I tell my TBM wife who insists that we read the BOM daily as a family, even though we just finished it (again). She believes it will make our family stronger, but my only kid who is still at home couldn’t be less interested in reading scriptures together as a family, and especially the BOM, which she just suffered through in seminary this past year too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reuben

Post by Reuben » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:04 pm

Mahonri Moriancumer wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:55 pm
What do I tell my TBM wife who insists that we read the BOM daily as a family, even though we just finished it (again). She believes it will make our family stronger, but my only kid who is still at home couldn’t be less interested in reading scriptures together as a family, and especially the BOM, which she just suffered through in seminary this past year too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Our family is enjoying the NIV translation of the New Testament. It's a different take on the gospel than the kids have heard to the point that it's really a different gospel (salvation by grace), punctuated with too many analogies to circumcision and first-century misogyny. Loads of fun. It helps that it's in modern English instead of 19th-century pidgin biblical English.

(Uchtdorf quotes from the NIV when he quotes from the bible, so Mormons aren't allowed to have objections to it. Also, "as far as it is translated correctly" means Mormons should find more of the word of God in the NIV than in the KJV. It's more correct in every respect, if less poetic-sounding.)
Learn to doubt the stories you tell about yourselves and your adversaries.

Mahonri Moriancumer

Post by Mahonri Moriancumer » Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:30 pm

Reuben wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:04 pm
Our family is enjoying the NIV translation of the New Testament. It's a different take on the gospel than the kids have heard to the point that it's really a different gospel (salvation by grace), punctuated with too many analogies to circumcision and first-century misogyny. Loads of fun. It helps that it's in modern English instead of 19th-century pidgin biblical English.
Is there a NIV translation of the BOM? :lol:

Kalikala

Post by Kalikala » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:35 pm

I just tell people that I’ve never done so much reading in my life. Which is true, even if it’s not ALL scriptures. But in my history research I find myself looking up a lot of things in the scriptures and rereading them as part of my research. So I count it.
"The opposite of Faith is not Doubt, it's Certainty." ~ Anne Lamott

Love More.