Konfession Time!

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
AdmiralHoldo

Re: Konfession Time!

Post by AdmiralHoldo » Sun Jan 09, 2022 7:20 am

I show my appreciation by the raising of the LEFT hand. I also take the sacrament with my left. (I'm right handed.) I do this mainly to piss off my husband who is a huge Pharisee.

moksha

Post by moksha » Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:08 am

Just a reminder of Oktoberfest in Utah. No doubt they will have missionaries on hand to grant absolution in the parking lot.

Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:50 am

Spicy McHaggis wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:48 pm
Confession for me: I went to a dispensary today to see about getting some edibles. I don't have a medical marijuana card so it was a no-go today. I plan to get my dispensary recommend ASAP and have it renewed before it expires. If the bishop can't sign that recommend I guess I'll have to visit a doctor.
My confession: the first time I did edibles was with Spicy McHaggis (good luck with the recommend, Spicy! Please return and report).

My other confession: I wish I could enjoy cannabis as much as another dear NOM friend who has had his life pretty much transformed by it. I probably just haven't tried hard enough.

p.s. https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Deep+R ... 14.0629959
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

stealthbishop

Post by stealthbishop » Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:25 am

I really can't believe how my life has changed:

I drink alcohol on a semi-regular basis. Usually when we go out to a sit down restaurant. I also have alcohol in our home. In fact DW and I had Margaritas yesterday. She is taking alcohol very very slowly whereas I have moved quicker. I don't drink much. I don't like the feeling of being super drunk so I really don't overdo it.

We both have tried cannabis and have had negative experiences with edibles. DW had a particularly negative experience with edibles. I am more willing to try it again but instead I will try smoking it soon at some point and see what happens.

Garments are gone for both of us. This has made my life immeasurably better since my highest love language is touch. DW seems to be doing okay with it now.

Church attendance is sporadic. DW is still trying to figure out what is best for her spirituality. She still believes strongly in HF and JC. She rejects prophetic/priesthood authority over her life. She loves the temple but is unwilling to answer the TR questions in a nuanced way without feeling a loss of integrity. She really values communal worship, such as the Sacrament, Prayers and singing Hymns. She does not want to join another religion and start over again. The main struggle for her, as I understand it, is being seen by others in the tribe as less than. She is a total NOM trying to figure out how to make it work and wondering if she can or not. I can take church attendance or leave it. Usually if she feels like going, I go with her but there have been a few times where I didn't feel like it so I didn't go. I have very fluid and flexible beliefs but lean towards agnosticism with usually an openness to new information and usually trying to have an attitude of humility and a celebration of diversity.

We still have prayers at meal time. I'm totally fine with that.

We do not pay tithing anymore.

Both of us value the culture we were raised in and the positive things it brought into our lives but also recognize the harm it has done to our children, ourselves, and others. We are working on figuring out this challenging dialectic and what we want to keep and what we need to reject as individuals and as a couple.

I have to keep reminding myself and my DW that I have been at this A LOT longer than she has. She is in the very early stages and we both need to keep this in mind in order to try to understand one another. We also need to remember, that what her and I need, can be different and we have to support each other in that process. We do that most of the time but we have had our moments in this radically different world we find ourselves in. For her, it is very much like she has left Eden. For me, it's almost like me finding the promised land sometimes!
"Take second best
Put me to the test
Things on your chest
You need to confess"

-Depeche Mode

Spicy McHaggis

Post by Spicy McHaggis » Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:48 am

Wendover it is!

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:13 pm

stealthbishop wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:25 am

(Snip…)
I have to keep reminding myself and my DW that I have been at this A LOT longer than she has. She is in the very early stages and we both need to keep this in mind in order to try to understand one another. We also need to remember, that what her and I need, can be different and we have to support each other in that process. We do that most of the time but we have had our moments in this radically different world we find ourselves in. For her, it is very much like she has left Eden. For me, it's almost like me finding the promised land sometimes!

I Konfess I’m jealous.

Sounds like you two are working through it together. Amazed at the resurrection of Stealth on NOM and the progress you’ve both made. Seriously, if anyone knows the secret to getting your spouse out let me know…
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

stealthbishop

Post by stealthbishop » Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:20 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:13 pm
stealthbishop wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:25 am

(Snip…)

I Konfess I’m jealous.

Sounds like you two are working through it together. Amazed at the resurrection of Stealth on NOM and the progress you’ve both made. Seriously, if anyone knows the secret to getting your spouse out let me know…

RR, if someone had told me a year ago that this would happen, I would have NEVER believed it. I thought I was dealing with her as mostly orthodox for the rest of our lives and I had settled in for that. I had radically accepted that this is the way it was and it wasn't going to change. I figured out that bringing stuff up to her was back firing and making her more entrenched so I reversed course and celebrated her spirituality and did my best to support her. I think it helped. For her what made her shelf break was seeing that the church was harmful to some of her family members. When it hit that close to home, then something snapped. It being harmful to some random person was not enough for her. She was having a good experience so that's what did it (and also me going opposite to trying to tell her any negative stuff about the church). But I still would never have believed it if someone would have told me it was going to play out this way.

I probably hit the lottery of sorts.

And it's good to be back. Clearly, even though there is A LOT of good for me, seeing her really suffer through this has been hard. SHe had to get her own mental health support and I turned back to NOM. It has been good to be back and DW is rebooting her life and it is slowly getting better for her but it's sort of two steps forward and one step back. Very early for her still and such a radical change.
"Take second best
Put me to the test
Things on your chest
You need to confess"

-Depeche Mode

Korihor

Post by Korihor » Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:13 pm

Tattoo

Created adult content and posted on Reddit

Stole sheets from hotel

Frequent beers
Reading can severely damage your ignorance.

sparky

Post by sparky » Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:20 am

I've been on NOM since 2015 but somehow never posted on this thread. So I'll bite!

Let's see, I partake of coffee at every opportunity. I genuinely love it, dark roast or cold brew with a spot of cream are my favorite. I'm always disappointed with the fancy sugary lattes because they dilute the coffee flavor too much. For me coffee is on par with chocolate in terms of flavor complexity and versatility, it's tragic that Mormons miss out on it for no good reason

Bought a tub of chocolate covered espresso beans from Trader Joe's to munch on during slow afternoons at work

I'm training for a long distance race so I go on long runs Sunday mornings

I always take/pass the sacrament with my left hand so I can picture Oaks' offended outrage in my mind's eye

Turned down a calling to teach Gospel Doctrine. Already did that as a complete atheist in my early NOM days (you can see how that went in my post history), I wasn't going to subject myself to that again

Last week was ward conference and I didn't raise my hand to sustain the Q15, even when DW elbowed me cause she thought I wasn't paying attention

And the big one, I finally bought my own colorful, non-authorized patterned underwear. I don't always wear an undershirt, but when I do it's (gasp!) black instead of Worthiness White. DW is not happy about this, but I feel fantastic. I still wear garments when I go to church with her on Sundays to appease her. Slow and steady.

Threw out most of my garments in a non-authorized, unceremonious manner. Threw them all into a garbage bag, hocked a loogie on them, and tossed them in the dumpster. It was very cathartic.

And finally I am eagerly looking forward to not renewing my temple recommend in a few months. This will require yet another difficult/sad (for her) conversation with DW, but I'm not willing to lie about questions 1-4, 7 and 8 at the expense of 9 yet again.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:47 pm

Korihor wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:13 pm
Tattoo

Created adult content and posted on Reddit

Stole sheets from hotel

Frequent beers
I hear Moroni made an appearance in the tattoo?
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

moksha

Post by moksha » Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:53 pm

shadow wrote:
Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:48 pm
Said bag of clothes is no longer in my possession.
Dr. Shades from another board asked the question, "Why waste perfectly good underwear?"
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha