Season for giving NOM books.

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
AzCommando

Season for giving NOM books.

Post by AzCommando » Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:27 am

Back on NOM 1.0 there was a thread that discussed books that are considered nomish. I wish that was still available.

That being said, I am asking for help in putting together a "list" of Nomish books that can also be purchased through Deseret Book.

Of course, if a book can be purchased from deseret book then it won't be labeled as anti-Mormon.

It is the Season of Giving and I will be giving books as gifts to family and friends. I just won't be purchasing them from Deseret Book. :shock:

Suggestions?

glass shelf

Re: Season for giving NOM books.

Post by glass shelf » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:10 am

These books don't represent my personal belief system anymore, but I think they're great at shifting away from the heavily shame-based attitudes of Mormonism, and that's healthy for people even if they stay in the church.

Forgiving Ourselves and Weakness is Not Sin by Wendy Ulrich

I know she's written an Ensign article or two if you want to get a sample of her writing. She's definitely in the LDS mindset, but not the same way as Holland. Another way these put weight on my shelf was that I read them when I was a pretty unhappy SAHM with the "I'm a Mormon" ads also all featuring women that didn't fit into the Mormon mold I was trying to fit. Those things made me realize that the church was really talking out of both sides of its mouth about women.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:21 am

glass shelf wrote:Another way these put weight on my shelf was that I read them when I was a pretty unhappy SAHM with the "I'm a Mormon" ads also all featuring women that didn't fit into the Mormon mold I was trying to fit. Those things made me realize that the church was really talking out of both sides of its mouth about women.
It's sooooo obvious to. When I pointed out the hypocrisy I was told I had a hard heart.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Silver Girl

Post by Silver Girl » Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:23 am

Has Deseret published a compilation of the essays? That would be a lovely gift for almost everyone on your list.
Silver Girl is sailing into the future. She is no longer scared.

glass shelf

Post by glass shelf » Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:23 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
glass shelf wrote:Another way these put weight on my shelf was that I read them when I was a pretty unhappy SAHM with the "I'm a Mormon" ads also all featuring women that didn't fit into the Mormon mold I was trying to fit. Those things made me realize that the church was really talking out of both sides of its mouth about women.
It's sooooo obvious to. When I pointed out the hypocrisy I was told I had a hard heart.
It's a hard thing to even acknowledge when you're trying so hard to fit the Mormon mold. Admitting that the church doesn't really value you the same way they do Wendy Ulrich, PhD or the I'm a Mormon commercial stars is brutal. It's even more difficult to rationalize how they're the public face of the church when most of the wards I've lived in wouldn't even accept them very well because they were clearly not following the prophet.

It's such a mind mess. :(

Fifi de la Vergne

Post by Fifi de la Vergne » Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:36 pm

Someone posted recently about being worthy, or being enough and it reminded me of Being Enough by Chieko Okazaki (https://www.amazon.com/Being-Enough-Chi ... ko+okazaki). Chieko was and is one of my heroes -- someone who just "got it." I remember being so inspired and motivated by her enthusiastic talks to the women, feeling like hers was a vision of Christian discipleship I could subscribe to.

Not surprisingly, I learned recently that she ran afoul of some of the apostles when she expressed some criticism about the PoF and the way it was released. It made me love her even more.
Joy is the emotional expression of the courageous Yes to one's own true being.

AzCommando

Post by AzCommando » Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:50 am

Fifi de la Vergne wrote:
Not surprisingly, I learned recently that she ran afoul of some of the apostles when she expressed some criticism about the PoF and the way it was released. It made me love her even more.
Thanks for the suggestion. If I understand correctly then, this is written for women? What is the PoF?

glass shelf

Post by glass shelf » Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:32 am

PoF= Proclamation on the Family