Elder Christofferson Has Read Sam Young's Stories of Abuse

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Hagoth

Re: Elder Christofferson Has Read Sam Young's Stories of Abuse

Post by Hagoth » Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:53 pm

"Elder C’s response was that there has been no increase in the number of people leaving."

Elder Snow sees the biggest period of apostasy since Kirtland. Elder Holland observes that, "we're losing our best an brightest." Elder Christofferson hasn't noticed? My opinion of him just took another nosedive. Minus five points for dishonesty.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

alas

Post by alas » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:25 am

Hagoth wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:53 pm
"Elder C’s response was that there has been no increase in the number of people leaving."

Elder Snow sees the biggest period of apostasy since Kirtland. Elder Holland observes that, "we're losing our best an brightest." Elder Christofferson hasn't noticed? My opinion of him just took another nosedive. Minus five points for dishonesty.
This is the problem with making up lies to protect the church from looking bad. People each make up different lies. So, some try to excuse the bad news, some try to blame the members, and some pretend there is no problem. They need to coordinate the lies before leaving the briefing where they receive news that tells them of the large number of resignations.

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:52 am

alas wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:25 am
Hagoth wrote:

This is the problem with making up lies to protect the church from looking bad. People each make up different lies. So, some try to excuse the bad news, some try to blame the members, and some pretend there is no problem. They need to coordinate the lies before leaving the briefing where they receive news that tells them of the large number of resignations.
They should really fast and pray for inspiration on who to call as "Lie Coordinator." :lol: :lol:
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

Reuben

Post by Reuben » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:55 am

MoPag wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:52 am
alas wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:25 am
Hagoth wrote:

They should really fast and pray for inspiration on who to call as "Lie Coordinator." :lol: :lol:
Who's heading up the Ministry of Truth these days? I think it's also called the Correlation Department.
Learn to doubt the stories you tell about yourselves and your adversaries.

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:45 am

Hagoth wrote:

Actually, they might all be correct from a certain point of view. The answer might simply be that the number of people leaving has stayed the same over the last decade. But perhaps the demographic of those leaving is more "best and brightest" rather than the "lazy and offended". More of those leaving are women who would have been outstanding Relief Society Presidents and Young Women leaders. More of the those leaving are men who woul have been the next generation of leadership starting with Elders Quorum Presidents and Bishops.

The rate of Mormons handing in their resignations has, perhaps, stayed the same. But the ranks of former Mormons are are the most effective men and women who will not be serving in leadership positions, will not be raising children in the LDS church, and will not be paying tithing. Statements from those general authorities might all be correct.

It is no secret that the LDS church has a well staffed statistics department that examines trends. A few rumors have ended up on the apostate boards from ex-LDS children of faithful church employees. I assuredly know from my days as a ward clerk that church HQ gathers many pieces of demographic data that drive their policies and pronouncements. The church knows in detail the rate of baptisms, births, temple attendance, sacrament meeting attendance, and resginations in both great detail and high level aggregation. They simply have no moral or legal obligation to tell us.

I personally met one of the database administrators of the church's data analysis team at a computer symposium. The church is using some of the most capable big data collecton and analysis tools in the industry (Splunk, if you are familiar with it). I would love to get unfettered command line access to it for an afternoon.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:22 pm

Corsair wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:45 am
The rate of Mormons handing in their resignations has, perhaps, stayed the same.
That still doesn't gibe with Bro. Snow's statement about the greatest apostasy since Kirtland. Either Snow or Christofferson doesn't know what he's talking about or isn't being honest, and I find it hard to imagine that a GA would invent that kind of information when it's exactly the kind of thing the church is notorious for sweeping under the rug. From my experience when the truth is bent it is to make the church look stronger, not weaker.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:16 am

Corsair wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:45 am
The rate of Mormons handing in their resignations has, perhaps, stayed the same.
When the department that processes resignations moves their "offices" out of the Church Office Building, to another office space on 200 West, it would seem that they needed to expand due to higher volumes.

Just sayin'... :geek:
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:29 am

Hagoth wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:22 pm
That still doesn't gibe with Bro. Snow's statement about the greatest apostasy since Kirtland. Either Snow or Christofferson doesn't know what he's talking about or isn't being honest, and I find it hard to imagine that a GA would invent that kind of information when it's exactly the kind of thing the church is notorious for sweeping under the rug. From my experience when the truth is bent it is to make the church look stronger, not weaker.
wtfluff wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:16 am
When the department that processes resignations moves their "offices" out of the Church Office Building, to another office space on 200 West, it would seem that they needed to expand due to higher volumes.

Both of you are certainly correct. This is not a sign of a healthy organization. Elder Marlin Jensen's original statement about the greatest apostasy since Kirtland felt more honest and authentic than so much of what we hear from the PR department. It would be enlightening to get a feel for conditions in the resignation department generally.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:01 am

Corsair wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:29 am
Hagoth wrote:
That still doesn't gibe with Bro. Snow's statement...
Elder Marlin Jensen's original statement about the greatest apostasy since Kirtland felt more honest and authentic than so much of what we hear from the PR department. It would be enlightening to get a feel for conditions in the resignation department generally.
Oh yeah, that's who I meant. Yes, it seems like he was being too honest and I bet he got severely kicked in the shins for it before he slipped quietly into emeritus status.

alas

Post by alas » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:04 am

Corsair wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:29 am
Hagoth wrote:
wtfluff wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:16 am

Both of you are certainly correct. This is not a sign of a healthy organization. Elder Marlin Jensen's original statement about the greatest apostasy since Kirtland felt more honest and authentic than so much of what we hear from the PR department. It would be enlightening to get a feel for conditions in the resignation department generally.
Having met with and had a discussion with Marlin Jensen, I trust him to tell the truth. He isn’t into lying for the Lord. The others, I wouldn’t trust them as far as I could throw them.