Impractical, uncomfortable, and unsightly

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Red Ryder

Impractical, uncomfortable, and unsightly

Post by Red Ryder » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:44 pm

Did anyone else see this on reddit? It's the research findings from the attitudes of youth in 1934.

End of page 6 into page 7 it says...

Garments are not worn by the youth because they are impractical, uncomfortable, and unsightly. Well it looks like nothing has changed in the last 84 years!

I'm going to start using the excuse "garments are too sacred to be worn in everyday life!"

And don't get me started on card playing. Some family members still believe cards are the devils bible.

"1934 opinions of LDS Youth"
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Zack Tacorin Dos

Re: Impractical, uncomfortable, and unsightly

Post by Zack Tacorin Dos » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:10 pm

Wow! I just read the first couple of pages, and you really can see that little has changed in the last 84 years. The good 'ol boys of the Q15 club just don't seem to get it. It's as if they've created a culture that isolates them from honest feedback. ;)

moksha

Post by moksha » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:06 pm

1. The report seems to indicate a greater willingness to drive dissenters out of the Church in 1934. Perhaps that was due to phenomenally high Mormon birthrates. This attitude was not prevalent in 410 AD when the VisiMormons sacked Rome. This was probably due to a high mortality rate during the siege.

2. Whole speeches by dissenting Apostles at General Conference were left out of publications.

3. There was some crabbing about the Church being more invested in business than the religion. Wonder if today's young Mormons even care, when they can go hang out at the City Creek Mall? Of course, they might prefer the gentile malls due to less surveillance and admonitions from Church Security.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

sparky

Post by sparky » Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:19 am

I still maintain that garments are the single dumbest idea Smith ever had. I can't wrap my mind around how anyone takes them seriously, including myself a few years ago.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:07 pm

sparky wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:19 am
I still maintain that garments are the single dumbest idea Smith ever had. I can't wrap my mind around how anyone takes them seriously, including myself a few years ago.
Especially given the origins started with a frontier sex cult!

I'm considering starting a campaign similar to Ordain Women or Sam Young's stop youth sex interviews campaign where we petition to have garments eliminated for daily wear and only required as part of the religious temple ceremony.

#G's2theT
G2T
Retire the Gee to the Tee!
Garments suck!
My neighbors laugh at my G's
Mormons, the other white undies! (No offense to Pork!)
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

NOMinally Mormon

Post by NOMinally Mormon » Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:14 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:07 pm
sparky wrote:

I'm considering starting a campaign similar to Ordain Women or Sam Young's stop youth sex interviews campaign where we petition to have garments eliminated for daily wear and only required as part of the religious temple ceremony.

#G's2theT
G2T
Garments suck!
I agree, garments are the worst idea ever! At one time I was an active, believing, tithe-paying mormon and the ONLY reason I never went through the temple was that I couldn't bear the the thought of wearing garments.

slk

Post by slk » Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:16 pm

It's going on a year since my wife went to church last but she still wears garments faithfully. I figure things could be a lot worse so I don't say anything.

I'll never forget RR describing how (a relative?) wears the garment hanging out from shorts like it's a badge of honor. When I heard that story I thought, TBMs do this all the time but never really bothered me when I was active. Now I can only cringe.

trophywife26.2

Post by trophywife26.2 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:45 pm

That link is not working for me? Is it just me?
Even if it's something disappointing, it's still better to know the truth. Because people can deal with disappointment. And once they've done that, they can feel that they have really grown. And that can be such a good feeling. -Fred Rogers

Phil Lurkerman

Post by Phil Lurkerman » Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:58 pm

trophywife26.2 wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:45 pm
That link is not working for me? Is it just me?
Check your downloads folder. The link is direct to a pdf that may have downloaded without you noticing.
I was once a cafeteria Mormon on a hunger strike. Have since found a buffet elsewhere.

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:50 pm

I joined the church as a teen and I can't put into words my shock when they told me during the temple prep classes about garments. No one bothered to tell me we had to wear them.

I can't possibly state how much I hated wearing them. They were uncomfortable, hot, and downright ugly. I stopped wearing them years ago, but my TBM wife continues and they are just a constant reminder of the control the church has over its members. And they're just so ugly... there's a difference between egregious immodesty and wanting to wear a tank top in the summer.

Man that was such a shock. Although in hindsight most of what the missionaries told me was a complete lie, so I guess it was all part of the master plan.

Tudor_Princess

Post by Tudor_Princess » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:46 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:07 pm
sparky wrote:

#G's2theT
G2T
Garments suck!
This is a brilliant idea. I stopped wearing them ages ago but I feel genuinely sorry for friends of mine who fear they will be sent straight to hell for merely even thinking about wanting to be cool and are suffering as a result.

We are having an unprecedented heat wave here in the U.K and its meant to get up to 35 degrees this week with humidity so thick you are almost having to wade through the air. I would totally support a campaign to only wear them to the temple. They are completely impractical for every day life. Even dangerous!

I wore a little dress out last night for our anniversary dinner and he told me to buy one a week as he loves them on me so he can see my legs....music to my ears, so much more freedom.

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:09 am

One thing that surprised me was the concern about contraception and birth control. You know it was an issue in the '70's and '80's, but I didn't know it was as big of an issue back in the 30's. Interesting.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

FiveFingerMnemonic

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:07 pm

It is kind of a shock that the good old days as we think of them weren't so good concerning the youth attitude in the 30's.

Not Buying It

Post by Not Buying It » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:25 pm

jfro18 wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:50 pm
I can't possibly state how much I hated wearing them. They were uncomfortable, hot, and downright ugly. I stopped wearing them years ago, but my TBM wife continues and they are just a constant reminder of the control the church has over its members. And they're just so ugly... there's a difference between egregious immodesty and wanting to wear a tank top in the summer.
So all your life as an LDS male you're told not to look at women immodestly dressed, you finally get married in the temple and there is exactly one woman you are allowed to look at immodestly dressed - and she has to wear the freaking ugliest, least sexy underwear in the entire universe. Now I'm not advocating the objectification of women, nor should my wife's underwear choices necessarily be influenced by what I find sexually attractive - but for Pete's sake, some guy 180 years ago makes up some random crap about underwear and as a result I have to see my wife in garments all the time - sometimes the Universe just sucks. Of all the random, ridiculous ideas Joseph Smith pulled out of his butt, why in the name of Phineas T. Barnum did this have to be one of them?

All kidding aside, I hate them. They are a constant reminder of the hold the Church has on me and on my wife. At least we don't buy into the nonsense of earlier generations who never took them off for anything - and I do mean anything. My wife's parents are proud of the fact she and her siblings were "conceived through the covenant". Icky!!!
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph

A New Name

Post by A New Name » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:18 pm

Not Buying It wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:25 pm
Of all the random, ridiculous ideas Joseph Smith pulled out of his butt, why in the name of Phineas T. Barnum did this have to be one of them?
When I wore the one peice garments in the 70's, I was alwasy pulling them out of my butt also!

slavereeno

Post by slavereeno » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:48 pm

A New Name wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:18 pm
When I wore the one peice garments in the 70's, I was alwasy pulling them out of my butt also!
:lol:

When my son took out his endowmints about 3 years ago he was told:

- Never mix garments with regular clothes in the laundry, even in the hamper
- Always fold dirty garments carefully as soon as you take them off, before placing them in their own hamper
- Fold and store them properly as soon as they are clean, do not leave them in the laundry basket
- Only take them off to shower and put them right back on again as soon as you can
- Never, never let them touch the ground, even in their hamper
- Never let any of the garment show
- Do not alter them, roll them up or un-tuck them
- Do not wear garments that are too small, get a bigger size if they do not fit loosely
- Never wear anything under them
- Always wear clothing that covers the garment with room to spare
- Do not walk around the house in them
- Do not let anyone who is not endowed see or handle your garments
- The garment will endow you with physical and spiritual protection
- If you defile the garment you will be held accountable for it
- Never mend the garment
- When garments no longer appear bright white or show signs of wear they are to be replaced and properly disposed of
- Dispose of the garment by removing the marks and reverently destroying them, the remaining cloth is now just cloth and you can do what you like with them, so long as nobody can identify where the marks were placed in the garments.
- Treat them with reverence as sacred emblems of your covenants
- Adam and Eve literally wore the same garment, (does that mean Jesus did too?)

The temple presidency member went on and on for about 30 minutes on this subject. I remember trying not to roll my eyes. :roll: My son knew DW and I were not doing all those things and I worried that he would think less of us. Haha! Also, I wondered if this guy understood what parts of the body these things are touching, how reverent am I supposed to be with the stuff directly touching my stinky bits 24/7?
Last edited by slavereeno on Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Archimedes

Post by Archimedes » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:54 pm

Everyone knows if you don't care for mithrail properly it will not afford you the full Elvish protection.
"She never loved you; she loved the church, her one true love. She used you to marry the church by proxy."

-- unknown reddit poster

IT_Veteran

Post by IT_Veteran » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:36 pm

slavereeno wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:48 pm
A New Name wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:18 pm
:lol:

When my son took out his endowmints about 3 years ago he was told:

- Never mix garments with regular clothes in the laundry, even in the hamper
- Always fold dirty garments carefully as soon as you take them off, before placing them in their own hamper
- Fold and store them properly as soon as they are clean, do not leave them in the laundry basket
- Only take them off to shower and put them right back on again as soon as you can
- Never, never let them touch the ground, even in their hamper
- Never let any of the garment show
- Do not alter them, roll them up or un-tuck them
- Do not wear garments that are too small, get a bigger size if they do not fit loosely
- Never wear anything under them
- Always wear clothing that covers the garment with room to spare
- Do not walk around the house in them
- Do not let anyone who is not endowed see or handle your garments
- The garment will endow you with physical and spiritual protection
- If you defile the garment you will be held accountable for it
- Never mend the garment
- When garments no longer appear bright white or show signs of wear they are to be replaced and properly disposed of
- Dispose of the garment by removing the marks and reverently destroying them, the remaining cloth is now just cloth and you can do what you like with them, so long as nobody can identify where the marks were placed in the garments.
- Treat them with reverence as sacred emblems of your covenants
- Adam and Eve literally wore the same garment, (does that mean Jesus did too?)

The temple presidency member went on and on for about 30 minutes on this subject. I remember trying not to roll my eyes. :roll: My son knew DW and I were not doing all those things and I worried that he would think less of us. Haha! Also, I wondered if this guy understood what parts of the body these things are touching, how reverent am I supposed to be with the stuff directly touching my stinky bits 24/7?
Interesting, I received much of the same guidance when I was 19, as I was preparing to be sealed to my wife (we were married civilly first because, well, we're sinners). Most of those things lasted a couple weeks at best. It was enough of a struggle getting me to put all my normal clothes in the hamper, so if garments made it in the same hamper, at least they weren't on the floor. I never ceased wearing them until this year though. Always had them on whenever feasible.

Got some weird looks and questions about why I had cut and then sewn over the nipples on my military undershirts from some friends.

Sheamus Moore

Post by Sheamus Moore » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:47 pm

809250CB-8FDB-405B-AC2D-47E02E879671.jpeg
809250CB-8FDB-405B-AC2D-47E02E879671.jpeg (88.13 KiB) Viewed 12302 times
Garments: The other fire insurance (as long as you don’t violate any of the rules and regulations for wearing them, of course).