I am taking my own action to support Sam

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
IT_Veteran

I am taking my own action to support Sam

Post by IT_Veteran » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:30 am

This is what I posted to various social media forums last night. After sleeping on it, I’m still feeling sick with disgust and anger at the church’s official response to this.
Okay everybody, I’ve been fuming all evening at the church’s official response. I’ve posted about it, I have argued with clueless TBM’s all evening. I’d considered earlier in the day that this might be the hill I die on, figuratively speaking.

I’ve refrained from resigning out of respect for my wife and her not being ready for that step yet.

If not a single apostle has the courage to meet with Sam in the next 14 days, I’m submitting my resignation on that last day. I’ve spoken with my wife about it and she understands.

When that day comes, I hope they receive a flood of resignations that helps to wake them up. Personally, I don’t think they’re listening and they’ll be as happy to be done with me as I am with them. However, it has symbolic meaning for me. If they’re not willing to protect my kids, your kids, and everyone else trying to know Christ, they don’t deserve us. I will not be counted among their membership from that day forward.

I encourage anyone ready and willing to submit their resignations to do the same on that day.
If anyone here would like to join me in this, I appreciate your support. If you’re not in a place to do so, I completely understand that as well.

Angel

Re: I am taking my own action to support Sam

Post by Angel » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:36 am

I was privileged to meet Sam a week ago, and shared our own family's story with him... our court case is coming up - the high priest is guilty (he video taped what he did, so there is no doubt of guilt) it is just a matter of how many years he will serve at this point.

I credit Sam Young with pressuring the church into making the changes it has made.
Without Sam, there would be no windows in classrooms.
Without Sam, the two-deep in classrooms policy would not be there.
Without Sam, an awareness of all of the abuse cases would continue to go unacknowledged.

I am soooo thankful for Sam - and McKenna - for having the courage to stand up and speak out for what is happening behind closed doors.

I have a little fb battle going as well on it - it is amazing how much victim-blaming is going on. People support the abusers because they are "high priests" and you know, perfect and called by G-d, and trustworthy...

PPI's need to stop. Not just an option those poor kids are too embarrassed to ask for (what kid is going to request another adult when the established "faithful" policy is go it alone?) Two-deep needs to become policy. period.

This thing is absolutely sickening to me as well.
“You have learned something...That always feels at first as if you have lost something.” George Bernard Shaw
When it is dark enough, you can see the stars. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:56 am

As parents we can guarantee the things Sam is fighting for.

Simply put, don't allow your kids to have ANY interviews. There might be social consequences and ordinations held back, but if enough parents simply refuse to have their kids participate in the interview process then things will change.

Sam is just the giant spark plug for change. The church needs to change but more importantly the mormon parents need to change too.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Deepthinker

Post by Deepthinker » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:54 pm

I fully support what you're doing! I'm just not in a position to join you.

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:10 pm

I think what Sam is fighting for is something we can also do on our own. We just have to tell our bishops that there will be no 1:1 interviews with kids, and no sexual questions. Not even do you live the law of chastity. Let the bishop use his great discernment powers to guess if they are worthy.
~2bizE