Missionaries dropped by

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Thoughtful

Missionaries dropped by

Post by Thoughtful » Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:05 pm

They've been texting and I've been declining their offers.

This afternoon they came by and invited me to come to night sacrament meeting. I didn't invite them in. I asked about their families. I did not agree to do anything.

I asked my friend who is RS secretary if I'm on a list. She said, "(counselor) went to ward council and bishop told everyone that you've asked to not be discussed."

They are discussing my request to not be discussed.

In fact, I requested my family not be discussed due to a sex abuse scandal involving family in my ward and the other ward, to limit gossip and preserve relationships.

I told spouseman that inviting me is the opposite way to reactivate me. I suggested he have them bring gluten free homemade treats.

I told RS secretary if they come back, I might ask then their opinion on William Law allegedly shooting JS or some controversy that would get them searching.

2bizE

Re: Missionaries dropped by

Post by 2bizE » Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:53 pm

Tell me about night sacrament meeting. It brings back bad memories of church before the three hour block. We had to go back to church at 6 pm for sacrament during the Wonderful World of Disney.
As far as the missionaries, tell them you don't want visits and do not want to be listed in their area book.
~2bizE

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:25 pm

2bizE wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:53 pm
Tell me about night sacrament meeting. It brings back bad memories of church before the three hour block. We had to go back to church at 6 pm for sacrament during the Wonderful World of Disney.
As far as the missionaries, tell them you don't want visits and do not want to be listed in their area book.

Evening sacrament meeting for investigators and shift workers. It's ok, I think they are piloting it.

Not Buying It

Post by Not Buying It » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:42 pm

Members of he Church develop an unhealthy and sometimes alarming inability to recognize boundaries. The Church has taught them that everything and anything is its business, so when they are acting on behalf of the Church everything and anything is their business. Ask not to be discussed, and they will discuss you asking not to be discussed.

The Church doesn’t understand boundaries. Never has, never will.
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph

Sheamus Moore

Post by Sheamus Moore » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:26 pm

It’s that booger-effect. You just... can’t,,,, flick’em... free sometimes.

Hermey

Post by Hermey » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:43 am

Sheamus Moore wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:26 pm
It’s that booger-effect. You just... can’t,,,, flick’em... free sometimes.
:shock: :lol:

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:15 pm

I told the wife of the ward mission leader to let her husband know that this kind of contact is not OK with me. I do not want to be on any reactivation lists. I do not want the missionaries dropping by my house, unless they are bringing treats or doing yardwork, and I do not want to be invited to church.

She says she is worried about me, and they (missionaries) are too. Said with wide eyes and a little tear in one corner.

Dravin

Post by Dravin » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:06 pm

Thoughtful wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:15 pm
She says she is worried about me, and they (missionaries) are too. Said with wide eyes and a little tear in one corner.
A fun response is to just mirror the look and share you are worried about them too. The look of confusion can be worth the price of admission.
Hindsight is all well and good... until you trip.