BYU-I Still Kicking Out Sex Assault Victims

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Not Buying It

BYU-I Still Kicking Out Sex Assault Victims

Post by Not Buying It » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:52 pm

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2018/08/05/ ... ge-upheld/

Amnesty from the Honor Code Office doesn’t mean diddly squat to a victim of sexual assault when her bishop can pull her ecclesiastical endorsement. Now women will be back to being afraid of reporting sexual assault if they have broken the Honor Code, and sexual predators will be back to knowing they probably won’t be reported if a woman has broken the Honor Code in connection with the assault.

I’m furious.
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph

jfro18

Re: BYU-I Still Kicking Out Sex Assault Victims

Post by jfro18 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:30 pm

That story is one that makes my blood boil. This idea that you have to stay silent when you are sexually assaulted because you were drinking is just terrible.

Not to mention that they are given the feeling that they have amnesty from other issues when they report, and then after the fact are punished. It is just awful in every way -- it's a hard article to read through and not get really angry at the church for what they are.

NOMinally Mormon

Post by NOMinally Mormon » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:44 pm

To add insult to injury, the bishop told her the perp was truly sorry and was preparing for an upcoming temple wedding. WTH?

Not Buying It

Post by Not Buying It » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:22 am

NOMinally Mormon wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:44 pm
To add insult to injury, the bishop told her the perp was truly sorry and was preparing for an upcoming temple wedding. WTH?
This is evidence of a cultural problem - a “worthiness” based system where transgression of one of an arbitrary set of rules disqualifies you from full participation. Doesn’t matter that she was sexually assaulted, she transgressed the rules and is unworthy. This kind of mindset is a natural consequence of the Church’s whole approach to who gets to fully participate and who doesn’t.

And her bishop was a total and complete tool.
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph

moksha

Post by moksha » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:56 am

BYU-Idaho was rather clever getting around their pledge to adhere to the Title IX guidelines. The bishop simply put his shoulder to the wheel and pushed compliance aside. Big time hooping and hollering in Rexburg priesthood meeting this Sunday!
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:10 am

NOMinally Mormon wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:44 pm
That is classic LDS church. Embrace the perp and shame and shun the victim.

This whole story made me sick. And yet somehow I'm not surprised this happened.
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:37 am

Is she the same person who popped up on Reddit last week and talked about her story. It sounds like the same person to me.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Archimedes

Post by Archimedes » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:12 pm

Somebody needs to sue the shit out of these idiots.

The 1950s called, they want their sexual assault prosecution guidelines back.
"She never loved you; she loved the church, her one true love. She used you to marry the church by proxy."

-- unknown reddit poster

Cnsl1

Post by Cnsl1 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:40 pm

It's beyond ridiculous.

Now, being accused does not mean he's guilty, but it looks like he did admit to touching her inappropriately knowing that she was intoxicated. Unusual for a college guy? No. Appropriate, moral, or even legal? Hell no. Should it matter what exactly he did? Of course, and it didn't sound like he did as much as some might have, but that's beside the point and it isn't the story.

So, what the heck difference does it make if BYU gives amnesty for victims of sex crimes when a Bishop can revoke their required endorsement as easy as that?!? Talk about your leadership roulette. Do you think the University really thought this one through, or knew exactly what they were doing. Who cares if they give amnesty? It's completely meaningless if a Bishop revokes his ecclesiastical recommendation.

Stinks.

Emower

Post by Emower » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:14 pm

That's my school!

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:43 pm

yeah, mine too. :cry:
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.