Direct tithing payment question

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Hagoth

Direct tithing payment question

Post by Hagoth » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:31 am

I know this has been discussed a lot in the past and I would appreciate some help here. Not for me, since I don't pay any tithing now, but Mrs. Hagoth does. The thing is that she has been paying less and less of her tithing to the church and more and more to friends in need. She agrees with me that these people need it far more than does the multi-billion dollar corporation.

So she wants to switch to the direct-pay route, but she doesn't want the bishop to see the dollar amount she's paying. I know a lot of people pay their tithing this way but I have also heard rumors that the bishop can now see the amount paid. Is there still a way to block the local leaders from seeing the dollar amount?

Can someone give me a quick primer in how to set this up?

Thanks in advance!
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

FiveFingerMnemonic

Re: Direct tithing payment question

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:48 am

Easy.

Email donations@ldschurch.org
In the email tell them you want to set up your bank billpay to do confidential donations not visible to the local ward and provide them your bank or credit union name.

They will respond with instructions to set up your online billpay on your banks website and have you send a test donation.

They will ask for your member number from your recommend or you can get it from lds tools app or lds.org account.

Once it goes through you should be all set. You can do any type of donation, but be aware that fast offerings go straight to HQ not your local ward.

I have asked the local ward clerk several times if my donations appear and he says they don't. End of year statement from the ward is blank. The church emails you a pdf doc summarizing your donations each month and year end for taxes.

Last edited by FiveFingerMnemonic on Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

slavereeno

Post by slavereeno » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:07 am

Thanks I was needing this information as well.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:19 am

Remember: for donations to be confidential, you need to follow the procedure @FiveFingerMnemonic mentioned, and use the "old-school" billpay method through your bank.

DO NOT use the new(ish) donations(dot)lds(dot)org website. It is my understanding that it is not possible to use the website and remain anonymous.

Of course we all know the best way to remain anonymous is to not give a giant real-estate corporation any money. :twisted:
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:47 am

wtfluff wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:19 am
Of course we all know the best way to remain anonymous is to not give a giant real-estate corporation any money. :twisted:
Yup, this is another baby step toward that. The Hagoth family will now be donating just enough to stock one COB desk with paperclips.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:19 am

No no no. That is not correct information.

Send your donations to:

The Church of Red Ryder of Latter Day Saints
Office of the First Presidency
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

slavereeno

Post by slavereeno » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:34 am

Red Ryder wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:19 am
No no no. That is not correct information.

Send your donations to:

The Church of Red Ryder of Latter Day Saints
Office of the First Presidency
The check is in the mail.

hiding in plain sight

Post by hiding in plain sight » Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:48 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:47 am
wtfluff wrote:
Yup, this is another baby step toward that. The Hagoth family will now be donating just enough to stock one COB desk with paperclips.
Hey Hagoth. The other thing to remember is that if the bishop wants to see what is being paid, he only needs to ask the COB and they will tell him regardless of what process you go through.

I don't know many bishops who would take the time. But it is just another example that the church isn't about the members needs. It is about the corporation's needs.

Sounds like progress.

FiveFingerMnemonic

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:53 pm

hiding in plain sight wrote:
Hagoth wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:47 am
wtfluff wrote:
Hey Hagoth. The other thing to remember is that if the bishop wants to see what is being paid, he only needs to ask the COB and they will tell him regardless of what process you go through.

I don't know many bishops who would take the time. But it is just another example that the church isn't about the members needs. It is about the corporation's needs.

Sounds like progress.
While true, it would take a highly motivated bishop to do so. The ones I have dealt with seem to be swimming well enough to just stay above water with all they have on their plate. And at least the clerks and counselors are still in the dark about your offerings.
Last edited by FiveFingerMnemonic on Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

slavereeno

Post by slavereeno » Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:07 pm

Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:48 pm
Gross.

hiding in plain sight

Post by hiding in plain sight » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:59 pm

slavereeno wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:07 pm
Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:48 pm
Gross.

Here is the story behind this comment. I set up my boss to pay tithing directly to the church a few years ago. They told him that they didn't normally set people up anymore to be anonymous but they would do it upon request. I called them directly to make sure they were still keeping me anonymous and they told me I was grandfathered in. But that if he asked they would tell him.

The funny thing is my old boss is now my new bishop.

Anon70

Post by Anon70 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:47 pm

I just setup online bill pay through my bank this week. I got an email notice that said my donations are anonymous and nothing would be reported to my ward.

oliblish

Post by oliblish » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:15 am

The way I do it is I write out a check to the church for the full 10% of my gross. Then I shred it and burn it in the back yard. If God really needs the money he will figure out a way to cash it.
Stands next to Kolob, called by the Egyptians Oliblish, which is the next grand governing creation near to the celestial or the place where God resides; holding the key of power also, pertaining to other planets; as revealed from God to Abraham

Hermey

Post by Hermey » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:18 am

oliblish wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:15 am
The way I do it is I write out a check to the church for the full 10% of my gross. Then I shred it and burn it in the back yard. If God really needs the money he will figure out a way to cash it.
:lol: Thoughts and prayers! to help him.

slavereeno

Post by slavereeno » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:21 am

oliblish wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:15 am
+1

dogbite

Post by dogbite » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:21 am

Anon70 wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:47 pm
I just setup online bill pay through my bank this week. I got an email notice that said my donations are anonymous and nothing would be reported to my ward.
My understanding is that the stake level can see it if they get wanting to.

moksha

Post by moksha » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:26 am

Send them McDonald's gift cards. If would be fun to see the Presiding Bishopric negotiating with Mayor McCheese and the Hamburglar over converting the gift cards to cash. While these negotiations take place, maybe President Oaks could engage Grimace in both religious liberty discussions and figuring out if more apple turnovers or Books of Mormon have been served.

All this can start with Hagoth.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Anon70

Post by Anon70 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:17 pm

dogbite wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:21 am
Anon70 wrote:
I asked if the bishop or stake Pres could request information/receive info on our donations and they said no. But....who knows what is true? We’ll be paying our “increase” tithing this way and see what happens.

FiveFingerMnemonic

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:26 pm

Anon70 wrote:
dogbite wrote:
Anon70 wrote:
I asked if the bishop or stake Pres could request information/receive info on our donations and they said no. But....who knows what is true? We’ll be paying our “increase” tithing this way and see what happens.
My understanding of the original intent of the billpay confidential method was to allow very large donations to be made in confidence by wealthy donors without local leadership being privvy to them. Seems it has been taken over by those of us who desire the same with small amounts.

Linked

Post by Linked » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:47 pm

FiveFingerMnemonic wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:26 pm
Anon70 wrote:
dogbite wrote:

My understanding of the original intent of the billpay confidential method was to allow very large donations to be made in confidence by wealthy donors without local leadership being privvy to them. Seems it has been taken over by those of us who desire the same with small amounts.
Very small
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut