Missionary things

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Bremguy

Missionary things

Post by Bremguy » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:15 pm

Yesterday evening, around 9 in the evening, I had to help my son jump start his car at the Safeway parking lot.

I seen the missionaries out and about tracting or ending their day. What kind of organization would let 2 young guys that age wander around at that time of night ? I certainly would not allow that to happen. What sort of Mission President does that? They should be home, relaxing, just being young men. having some fun. I feel sorry for them. I know myself, I hate when people bother me after 8 in the evening, from then on, is time for me and my wife, and if family is here.

I wish I could do something about that. It just makes my blood boil, knowing there is a MP, living off the church dime while sending out young people late on Sundays. I can imagine that the time is largely wasted and only causes a few people to dislike the church.
Live Long and Prosper

mooseman

Re: Missionary things

Post by mooseman » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:32 pm

I thought they still had a curfew before then? When did they change it?
It's frustrating to see the last resort in a discussion of facts be: I disregard those facts because of my faith. Why even talk about facts if the last resort is to put faith above all facts that are contrary to your faith?

Phil Lurkerman

Post by Phil Lurkerman » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:45 pm

mooseman wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:32 pm
I thought they still had a curfew before then? When did they change it?
It's been 30 years, but I seem to recall 9:00 or 9:30 as the time we were supposed to be in by. We usually quit tracting around 8:30ish because it annoyed people. Can't say I blame them.
I was once a cafeteria Mormon on a hunger strike. Have since found a buffet elsewhere.

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:20 am

There is a lot of social pressure to keep working right up to 9:30. I knocked on a few doors after 9:00 PM and never had anything other than annoyed people turning me down as politely as possible. I was always glad to have an appointment that would end around 9:00 so that travel time would remove any chance of feeling guilty about tracting at that time of night.

I imagine that this situation is starting to change. There are now Facebook missionaries who could reasonably talk to people later at night. I can't imagine that tracting has improved at all in the last 30 years since it was inflicted upon my daily routine. Perhaps I can ask the missionaries in my ward when I next see them.