I think I've reached the next stage in my journey

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Tudor_Princess

I think I've reached the next stage in my journey

Post by Tudor_Princess » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:44 pm

Physically we don't go to church that much anyway. DH hates our ward and has never settled there since moving a year ago. Not helped by the fact no one talks to him and I mean no one. I'd say we go once every 3 weeks on average. I'm happy with my less active status. But I've decided I'm now 'non practicing'. We will still go to church for dh's sake as he says he's not quite ready to give up on it completely yet. But I am now open to doing/trying things that would have been a no before. Such as alcohol. I have had coffee a few times but am no fan. I don't think I'll like alcohol either but I want to try it. Rosé wine appeals for some reason. It feels liberating to consider a glass of wine without feeling like I'll be punished for it in some way. Those feelings are still there to a point but I'm ready to push past them and start taking the reins of a new me.

MoPag

Re: I think I've reached the next stage in my journey

Post by MoPag » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:20 am

That's awesome! Rosé has always kind of appealed to me too. I'm also not a fan of coffee unless there is an equal amount of chocolate in it. :)
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

Tudor_Princess

Post by Tudor_Princess » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:41 pm

Have you not tried it yet? We were at an English heritage place today (castle) and they always have wine to taste in tiny sacrament style cups. It was an ideal opportunity to taste a little bit of something without buying a whole bottle in case I didn't like it. But kids and dh were there so I lost my nerve. I'll have to go back another time so I can.see what I like.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:26 pm

All speculation of course:

Wine is best partaken with good food and good friends. Or in a nice bubble bath. (Food and good friends optional). :lol:

Especially RED wine.

Here's what you do. Go to your favorite restaurant and pick out your food first. Then ask the waiter what glass of wine pairs best with it. I prefer a nice red wine with a steak or beef dish.

Drinking wine with food is the best way to get started.

Here's some guidelines:

“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

lostinmiddlemormonism

Post by lostinmiddlemormonism » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:07 pm

I wouldn't recommend starting your alcohol explorations with wine or anything in the wine family. It is probable that you really won't like it. Start with a cider, or a mixed drink. As you are in the U.K., I would highly recommend a nice Pimms and lemonade.

crossmyheart

Post by crossmyheart » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:52 pm

Congratulations on your new level of inactivity. The NOM mantra is "take it slow " and I cannot emphasize that enough.

My NOMish husband occasionally swings the pendulum back towards activity and I have learned to not be as rigid in my inactivity during those times. It has taken him a long time to get comfortable with my loss of belief and even longer for him to begin to see my side.

I enjoy a local Moscato whenever I can find it. But wine is pretty bitter if you are used to sodas, etc. My gateway drug was sangria!

glass shelf

Post by glass shelf » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:23 am

Wine and coffee are acquired tastes and some people definitely acquire them more quickly than others.

If you want to try a rose, I'll recommend the following. Buy a roscato. It's sweet (for wine--don't confuse wine with soda) and sparkling. Perfect enjoyed on a patio on a hot summer day. Toss in a few frozen raspberries for the chill and the taste.

Personally, I think the most fun thing about alcohol is trying new things with friends.

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:54 am

Tudor_Princess wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:41 pm
Have you not tried it yet? We were at an English heritage place today (castle) and they always have wine to taste in tiny sacrament style cups. It was an ideal opportunity to taste a little bit of something without buying a whole bottle in case I didn't like it. But kids and dh were there so I lost my nerve. I'll have to go back another time so I can.see what I like.
No I haven't tried it. It just looks pretty :D

I sipped some white wine I was using in a recipe the other night. It tasted like an old sippy cup that rolled under the couch smells. :lol:

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:25 am

glass shelf wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:23 am
Buy a roscato. It's sweet (for wine--don't confuse wine with soda) and sparkling.
I'm going to try this. Thanks for the tips guys!!

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:10 am

MoPag wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:25 am
glass shelf wrote:
Buy a roscato. It's sweet (for wine--don't confuse wine with soda) and sparkling.
I'm going to try this. Thanks for the tipsy guys!!
Fixed
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:36 am

Red Ryder wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:10 am
MoPag wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:25 am
glass shelf wrote:
I'm going to try this. Thanks for the tipsy guys!!
Fixed
:lol: :lol: :lol: