The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
lostinmiddlemormonism

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

Post by lostinmiddlemormonism » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:16 pm

Don't forget the little d after the hyphen. We don't have the legal rights to use the name the Lord actually revealed. So we do the best that we can. Today, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints released a new style guide discussing appropriate ways to refer to the organization and its members. LDS, Mormon and others are not preferred or acceptable under the new guidelines. You can read about it on deseretnews here: https://www.deseretnews.com/article/900 ... -uses.html

Ironically you can find the new style guide at mormonnewsroom.org. https://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/ ... the-church

Of course, most of the attendees at churches around me simply reply that the are Christians if you ask their religion. The focus on things like helping others, feeding the hungry, sheltering the homeless, comforting and protecting the abused. However, this so called church, with a so called prophet looks out at the world and thinks, "what should I change?" The answer: the branding and marketing strategy.

So I will meet them half way. They request that the first time an author refers to them the should use the full name of the organization and there after use either "the Church" or "the restored gospel of Jesus Christ." So, as you can see above, I utilized the full name. Here after the Cult. If you don't want to be referred to that way, then pull your freaking head out and stop acting like one!

-Lost

Sheamus Moore

Re: The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

Post by Sheamus Moore » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:00 pm

A few takeaways...

A gazillion tithing dollars to be spent on a rebranding campaign of “seismic” proportions.

Anyone caught using the unauthorized abbreviations and nicknames will necessarily and appropriately be shamed.

(The bit about polygamous groups was a bit random)

This has been bugging Nelson since at least 1990.

He seems determined to shake up The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saintsism.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:40 pm

Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

SincereInquirer

Post by SincereInquirer » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:09 pm

Let's make sure to get it right, it is "Even The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints".

Had to log on to say this. Everyone is having a field day with it on r/exmormon.

When I read the DN article and saw RMN prefaced it with "even" I laughed out loud. I am still chuckling internally every time I think about it. :lol:
"I don't need the Mormon church to be true, I just need it to not be verifiably false." - something I read somewhere...(help me give proper citation credit if you know where this came from)

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:28 am

How do we now say “Mormon’s gonna Morm?”

Members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints gonna The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day?”

“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

hiding in plain sight

Post by hiding in plain sight » Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:54 am

Love this from the article:

Ironically, the announcement came via one of the church's official websites, mormonnewsroom.org. That site and others, including possibly the church's main website, lds.org, could receive updated names and shows the enormity of the challenge ahead for the church.

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:40 am

Here's the Buzzfeed article about it.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/jimdalrympleii ... vld9q8kBEr
Some of the church’s most prominent brand ambassadors, such as the Mormon Tabernacle Choir, use the term as well. The choir is often referred to simply as the “MoTab,” and it was unclear Thursday if it would be rebranded as, for example, “The Restored Church of Jesus Christ Tabernacle Choir,” or potentially just the “ReChuJesTab.”
We aren't going to have to change our name to New Order ReChuJes are we? :lol: :lol:
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

CaptainSalty
Site Admin

Post by CaptainSalty » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:04 am

We might have to follow the new style guidelines. Stay tuned...

græy

Post by græy » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:34 am

On a related note...

A few times over the past year and half I have found myself humming the "I belong to the COJCOLDS..." primary song. If my wife happens to be around I change the words a bit and sing, "I belong to the Corporation of the President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints." :lol:

Every time she has told me to stop singing and it puts her in a bad mood the rest of the day.
Well, I'm better than dirt! Ah, well... most kinds of dirt; not that fancy store-bought dirt; that stuff is loaded with nutrients. I can't compete with that stuff. -Moe Sizlack

lostinmiddlemormonism

Post by lostinmiddlemormonism » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:35 am

CaptainSalty wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:04 am
Love the banner...lol

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:41 am

lostinmiddlemormonism wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:35 am
CaptainSalty wrote:
Love the banner...lol
:lol: :lol:

We could say it like: NORCO J COLDS. Or I guess if we are supposed to keep Jesus' name in there we are: NORCO Jesus COLDS. Kind of sounds like some kind of street drug. :lol:
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:44 am

MoPag wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:41 am
CaptainSalty wrote:
Love the banner...lol

We could say it like: NORCO J COLDS. Or I guess if we are supposed to keep Jesus' name in there we are: NORCO Jesus COLDS. Kind of sounds like some kind of street drug. :lol:
Yes, that was quick Salty. I think there is an "EVEN" missing though... (e-NORCO J COLDS ? )

NORCO.jpg
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

Mormorrisey

Post by Mormorrisey » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:05 pm

græy wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:34 am
On a related note...

A few times over the past year and half I have found myself humming the "I belong to the COJCOLDS..." primary song. If my wife happens to be around I change the words a bit and sing, "I belong to the Corporation of the President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints." :lol:

Every time she has told me to stop singing and it puts her in a bad mood the rest of the day.
This is what I plan to say if someone dares to remonstrate that I'm using the forbidden terms "Mormon" or "LDS" - I'm going to say, I'm sorry, I should use the full legal name of the church. So as the members of the Corporation of the President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, we should...

The confusion alone will be worth it.
"And I don't need you...or, your homespun philosophies."
"And when you try to break my spirit, it won't work, because there's nothing left to break."

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:10 pm

Mormorrisey wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:05 pm
græy wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:34 am
On a related note...

This is what I plan to say if someone dares to remonstrate that I'm using the forbidden terms "Mormon" or "LDS" - I'm going to say, I'm sorry, I should use the full legal name of the church. So as the members of the Corporation of the President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, we should...

The confusion alone will be worth it.
It is a bit funny... All the hub-bub this re-branding has caused. Re-branding of a "church" that doesn't actually exist as a legal entity.
Could everyone please use our Registered Trademark™ when talking about our Corporate Sole which masquerades as a "church" but is in fact really a multi-billion dollar real-estate corporation? Please, please please??? Oh, and please don't say "home teaching" or "visiting teaching" either.
Russ Nelson: The CEO of re-branding and bigotry "revelations".

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:14 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:44 am
MoPag wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:41 am

Love the banner...lol

Yes, that was quick Salty. I think there is an "EVEN" missing though... (e-NORCO J COLDS ? )

NORCO.jpg
Then we might get confused with Elder Norco J. Colds, emeritus general authority who hales from the Norway North Stake!

Clearly this is confusing everyone. Are we sure the Lord's Mouth Piece, even President Russell M. Nelson wasn't just getting his impressions mixed up? He may be requesting to stop using the church name rather than Wendy's temple new name Millie during foreplay?

Millie makes sense! Mormon, not so much.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:30 pm

I think this change is stupid. I have no intention of complying my fellow new order Mormons.
~2bizE

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:41 pm

I just noticed the name of our forum changed from New Order Mormon to Norco....
Norco is a trade name of hydrocodone and tylenol...now we will be known for opioid addiction...
~2bizE

Not Buying It

Post by Not Buying It » Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:54 am

This is unverified, so take it with a grain of salt, but according to this user on Reddit Elder Christofferson told a stake conference audience that because we have been calling ourselves Mormons “the Lord is not pleased with us, and we need to repent”. See https://www.reddit.com/r/exmormon/comme ... out_being/.

Let’s assume this it true, and let me correct him. The Lord would be displeased with the leaders of the Church who oversaw the stupid “I’m a Mormon” campaign a few years back, who released that ridiculous “Meet the Mormons” movie and encouraged everyone to go see it multiple times, they are the ones who set up the “Mormon Newsroom” and the “gayandmormon” website and all kinds of other things. He wouldn’t be upset at the members.

You’ve got a lot of damn gall telling the members they need to repent when you’ve been marketing the hell out of the word “Mormon” for the past several years. The members were only following their leaders, who make God seem awfully petty, petulant, and unfairly condemnatory.
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph

Dravin

Post by Dravin » Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:12 pm

Not Buying It wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:54 am
Let’s assume this it true, and let me correct him. The Lord would be displeased with the leaders of the Church who oversaw the stupid “I’m a Mormon” campaign a few years back, who released that ridiculous “Meet the Mormons” movie and encouraged everyone to go see it multiple times, they are the ones who set up the “Mormon Newsroom” and the “gayandmormon” website and all kinds of other things. He wouldn’t be upset at the members.

You’ve got a lot of damn gall telling the members they need to repent when you’ve been marketing the hell out of the word “Mormon” for the past several years. The members were only following their leaders, who make God seem awfully petty, petulant, and unfairly condemnatory.
If Gordon Hinckley was wrong when he said this then those who followed him with respect to his talk were blessed by following and have nothing to repent of. Of course to say he was wrong and that the Lord feels strongly about not being called Mormon is to say that Gordon lead the people astray on this matter, which any believing Mormon will tell you, just isn't possible. Of course if Gordon can't be wrong then there is nothing wrong with "Mormon" and claiming the Lord feels there is would mean Russel is taking the name of the Lord in vain... of course that would also be leading the people astray, which we all know isn't possible.

I'm sure FairMormon has a way out of this. ;)
Hindsight is all well and good... until you trip.

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:38 pm

Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:16 pm
Don't forget the little d after the hyphen. We don't have the legal rights to use the name the Lord actually revealed. So we do the best that we can.
This is an issue that RMN seems to simply ignore. Maybe with the new emphasis on the name we need to all go join the Strangites.