The Straw That Broke the Back

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Just This Guy

The Straw That Broke the Back

Post by Just This Guy » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:38 am

Today, on our way home from an Episcopal service, DW came across an article talking about RMN's speach to African members that they way out of their cycle of poverty is by paying tithing.

https://www.rawstory.com/2018/04/op-mor ... e-poverty/
Note: You may need to disable add blockers

She found this repugnant. On top of everything else that she finds repugnant of the church. That coupled with her new process of trying to find a life system that works for her, she said she finally had enough.

Once home, I sent her a link to quitmormon.com. Five minutes later, while I was working on lunch, she announced that she had submitted her letter and that it was much easier than she expected. To say I was surprised is an understatement. The thing keeping me from resigning long ago is DW and she has been nervous about how her parents will take it. Today she made the leap. Once I had time, I have now submitted my own letter.

So that's it. Now we wait for the confirmation. Feels like both a weight off my shoulders, but nervous what the fallout with our families will be.
Last edited by Just This Guy on Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

Anon70

Re: The Straw That Broke the Back

Post by Anon70 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:17 am

Wow-that is amazing to me. Best wishes to you both.

DPRoberts

Post by DPRoberts » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:33 am

Congrats on leaving together. Best wishes for your new life 's journey wherever it may go.
When an honest man discovers he is mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or cease to be honest. -anon
The belief that there is only one truth, and that oneself is in possession of it, is the root of all evil in the world. -Max Born

Emower

Post by Emower » Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:17 pm

Congrats. I am glad you both have moved on. It must feel amazing.

Brent

Post by Brent » Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:34 pm

I'd just remind you that you don't have to entertain any visits from the "authorities". You're done. Congratulations.

GoodBoy

Post by GoodBoy » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:07 pm

Just This Guy wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:38 am
Feels like both a weight off my shoulders, but nervous what the fallout with our families will be.
I hear ya.

Here's hoping you can move on in life without much baggage.
Always been the good kid, but I wanted to know more, and to find and test truth.

crossmyheart

Post by crossmyheart » Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:41 am

Wow. Congratulations.

That gives me hope.

slavereeno

Post by slavereeno » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:01 pm

Wow, I'm super green with envy right now, but happy for you.

orangganjil

Post by orangganjil » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:25 am

+1 for Episcopalians!

hiding in plain sight

Post by hiding in plain sight » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:30 pm

Amazing news. You never know what will be the straw. But one more example that it can and does happen.

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:50 am

I just checked in with the website this morning and found they had confirmation that it was done. That's it. I'm out. I will say that was surprisingly easy. It took less than 5 minutes to fill out of the form online and just under a week and a half (including the Labor Day Holiday) to completely process it. Much faster than the "up to 8 weeks" that they initially predicted.

How do I feel? not sure, about the same as I did two weeks ago. I can't say that there is some huge emotional burden off my shoulders. Maybe it's because I have been out for so long that I've moved passed it. Maybe I just have not had time for the reality to sink into me. Right now, it feels like taking out the trash. It's a chore and is always annoying when you have to work on it. However, when it's done you do have some sense of relief that your house is now a bit cleaner.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

Dravin

Post by Dravin » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:32 am

Just This Guy wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:50 am
I just checked in with the website this morning and found they had confirmation that it was done. That's it. I'm out. I will say that was surprisingly easy. It took less than 5 minutes to fill out of the form online and just under a week and a half (including the Labor Day Holiday) to completely process it. Much faster than the "up to 8 weeks" that they initially predicted.
I resigned the old fashion way (physical letter to the membership department), they dragged their feet until the full 60 days or what ever it is that they (used?) to wait until they failed to hear back from the Bishop that I'd changed my mind. At one point I was wondering if the letter had been lost in transit or if I messed up the form letter such that they'd ignore it. Sounds like quitmormon.com is quite the streamlining of the process.
How do I feel? not sure, about the same as I did two weeks ago. I can't say that there is some huge emotional burden off my shoulders. Maybe it's because I have been out for so long that I've moved passed it. Maybe I just have not had time for the reality to sink into me. Right now, it feels like taking out the trash. It's a chore and is always annoying when you have to work on it. However, when it's done you do have some sense of relief that your house is now a bit cleaner.
My feelings were mixed, I was out but I didn't leave with my wife so it was part, "Good riddance, glad that's taken care of." mixed with trepidation at her reaction (I was hasty and sent the letter then informed her rather than discussing the move with her first so huge blow up potential).
Hindsight is all well and good... until you trip.

Grace2Daisy

Post by Grace2Daisy » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:16 am

In Hans Mattsson's book, Truth Seeking, he tells of his concerns with the church's direction regarding the church focus on finances. As a 70 he struggled listening to the purpose and direction they were given in SLC.
At times there was something in the tone that Hans had difficulty reconciling with service to Christ; sometimes that seemed a lot like the language he knew from the business world.

For example, the church had run a large publicity campaign in conjunction with the winter Olympics held in Salt Lake City in 2002. Gordon B. Hinckley made a presentation a year later, expressing his disappointment.

"Where is the return on investment?" he thundered. "We have made an investment and there is no visible dividend!" Hans flinched in his seat.

This was the way that the prophet viewed his new members - as a return on investment? On another occasion President Hinckley stated the following: "We need more missionaries in North America. North American's provide a net contribution with their tithing. New members in Africa cost more than they bring in."

Hans wondered how much importance was placed on new members; what was their worth aside from being a statistic; profitable for church finances?
The book is an excellent read. I had no idea the depth of his concern struggles, and how hard it was on his dear wife.
"What is truth?" retorted Pilate. John 18:38

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:15 am

Congrats!
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:44 pm

Today I had the first real instance of it sinking in.

On my way to work, I was listening to the Mormon Stories podcast where John Delin interviews Sam Young about his (then) impending excommunication hearing. Today I finally had a sense of relief that I could finally look at this as an outsider and this was no longer my church.

Overall, it's still highly anticlimactic, but the catharsis it at least starting.