Major news outlets have picked up the Sam Young story

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Archimedes

Major news outlets have picked up the Sam Young story

Post by Archimedes » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:24 am

This is all the buzz on the reddit bloggernacle feeds, so I am shamelessly borrowing that information to post here. US News & World Report, and some other major media outlets have picked up the Sam Young story.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states ... interviews

PS They are still calling Mormons "Mormons." The nerve.
"She never loved you; she loved the church, her one true love. She used you to marry the church by proxy."

-- unknown reddit poster

Kishkumen

Re: Major news outlets have picked up the Sam Young story

Post by Kishkumen » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:22 am

Barbara Streisand has a story that might be of interest to RSM.

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:27 am

I've now seen it on New York Times, Newsweek, Raw Story, Deseret News, SLC Tribune, and one other I can't remember (need to double check that).

I assume when he's excommunicated you'll get another round of it as well - a terrible look for the church but they are gambling that the TBMs either won't know about it or will buy the Deseret News spin that this is about questioning leaders and not about protecting kids.

MerrieMiss

Post by MerrieMiss » Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:38 pm

The comments on the Deseret News story are so...disappointing? Definitely to be expected but disappointing all the same. Time and time again I've seen it stated that Sam had great intentions and just went about it wrong. Exactly how does one give constructive criticism or share an idea with church leadership? Any kind of meaningful change happens at the top and anyone with any experience on this knows that nothing ever reaches the top, it just gets kicked back down to the middle management who can and does nothing. Exactly what was Sam supposed to do?

And I am really surprised the church is doing this in light of the recent Catholic church scandal. Maybe they think the focus on the catholic church will be so big that this will go unnoticed? I used to be so proud to be a mormon, and I just get more and more embarrassed to be associated with the church at all. I have no idea what man in his right mind would even accept the call of bishop today.

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:41 pm

Kishkumen wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:22 am
What story is that Kor?
~2bizE

Bremguy

Post by Bremguy » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:51 pm

MerrieMiss wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:38 pm
The comments on the Deseret News story are so...disappointing? Definitely to be expected but disappointing all the same. Time and time again I've seen it stated that Sam had great intentions and just went about it wrong. Exactly how does one give constructive criticism or share an idea with church leadership? Any kind of meaningful change happens at the top and anyone with any experience on this knows that nothing ever reaches the top, it just gets kicked back down to the middle management who can and does nothing. Exactly what was Sam supposed to do?

And I am really surprised the church is doing this in light of the recent Catholic church scandal. Maybe they think the focus on the catholic church will be so big that this will go unnoticed?
I used to be so proud to be a mormon, and I just get more and more embarrassed to be associated with the church at all. I have no idea what man in his right mind would even accept the call of bishop today.
Your comment I highlighted by Bold text is so right on. Even though the Catholic church has a lot of money, like our Church does, it has and undoubledly will get hit with another huge settlement. If memory serves me, the Catholic church in the Seattle area had to sell some property or something. I would not be surprised, if the legal department of the LDS Church, has told the upper levels of church leadership, we can just stonewall or bankrupt those filing charges. It will pass.

But, I do agree with Bro. Sam Young, things need to be changed and fast.

Also, I like your commentary on how feedback or suggestions, only go one way. Down. Even though they may be great ones. But as you mention, any ideas the do come up, just get bounced down. On a local level, I once asked, why can't we use the wall that separates the RS Room from the rest of the church for things like, scouting bulletin boards, primary ? Pictures of various sorts. I will say, I might as well have talked to the wall.
Live Long and Prosper

Kishkumen

Post by Kishkumen » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:38 pm

2bizE wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:41 pm
Kishkumen wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:22 am
What story is that Kor?
The Streisand effect is a phenomenon whereby an attempt to hide, remove, or censor a piece of information has the unintended consequence of publicizing the information more widely, usually facilitated by the Internet. It is an example of psychological reactance, wherein once people are aware that some information is being kept from them, their motivation to access and spread it is increased.[1]

It is named after American entertainer Barbra Streisand, whose 2003 attempt to suppress photographs of her residence in Malibu, California, inadvertently drew further public attention to it. Similar attempts have been made, for example, in cease-and-desist letters to suppress files, websites, and even numbers. Instead of being suppressed, the information receives extensive publicity and media extensions such as videos and spoof songs, often being widely mirrored on the Internet or distributed on file-sharing networks.[2][3]

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:24 pm

MerrieMiss wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:38 pm
Exactly how does one give constructive criticism or share an idea with church leadership? Any kind of meaningful change happens at the top and anyone with any experience on this knows that nothing ever reaches the top, it just gets kicked back down to the middle management who can and does nothing. Exactly what was Sam supposed to do?
You are right. The church never budges an inch due to friendly suggestions from within. It only responds to embarrassment from without. They are fully aware that the worst thing that could happen would be for light to be shined into the nooks and crannies of their good ol' boys club.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."