Emma and Jane

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
dareka

Emma and Jane

Post by dareka » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:06 am

I just saw the trailer for the latest film for Mormons: Emma and Jane. Jane is a black woman who, apparently, becomes a friend of Emma. I'm not familiar with the story, but the trailer says the movie is based on real events. Which usually means there are a few details in the story that are real, with the rest being fictional. Do any of you know anything about this Jane person?

The thing in the trailer that really caught my attention was the actor portraying Joseph Smith. He seemed really creepy to me. I guess they got that bit right, anyway.

I'm seriously hoping my wife won't drag me to see this when it comes out.

wtfluff

Re: Emma and Jane

Post by wtfluff » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:15 am

Oh dear. If this is actually happening, it will be a gas-lighting train-wreck. (For anyone who knows anything about the actual history.)

Jane Elizabeth Manning James
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Archimedes

Post by Archimedes » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:39 am

Well Joe did let her into the Celestial kingdom after all.

As a servant
"She never loved you; she loved the church, her one true love. She used you to marry the church by proxy."

-- unknown reddit poster

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:16 am

What's the point in making a film about this?

Has the church become a multi conglomerate media company run by hobbyist film makers wanting to pursue a forbidden love affair between a prophet's wife and his eternal servant? Or are they just exploring the foundational claims of the alleged creation of the Nauvoo Globetrotters?
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Not Buying It

Post by Not Buying It » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:28 am

Another time, Emma asked James if she would like to be adopted by and sealed to her and Joseph. Not understanding at the time, James said nothing. Emma encouraged her to think about it. Two weeks later, she asked James again, at which time she said "no m'am".[5] James would say later that she did not understand what that meant, or she would have taken the couple up on their offer.[6] This early decision had a significant impact on James' later life as a member of the Latter Day Saint church.
OK, I'm calling BS on this story. Joseph didn't bother much with sealing anybody to him except as a wife he could sleep with. Adoption sealings were more of Brigham's thing, not Joseph's. As far as I am aware he wasn't even sealed to his own children while alive, why would he offer an adoption sealing to someone outside the family? When did Emma ever seem interested in sealing more people into her family? She was way more interested in trying to keep more women out of her family. I admit I'm no expert, but this doesn't mesh with what I know of Joseph's polygamy or Emma's reaction to it.

Joseph used sealings to get sex. Brigham used sealings to build his empire - and to get sex.
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph

dareka

Post by dareka » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:06 am

wtfluff wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:15 am
Oh dear. If this is actually happening, it will be a gas-lighting train-wreck. (For anyone who knows anything about the actual history.)

Jane Elizabeth Manning James
Thanks for the link.

Interesting - if she was sealed as as eternal servant, why would they want to make a film about it and draw attention to it? I wish they'd stop making films altogether.

Brent

Post by Brent » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:06 pm

Based on...could this be the story of forbidden love? The love that dare not speak its name?