Well, that didn't take long!

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
TheRunningmom

Well, that didn't take long!

Post by TheRunningmom » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:37 am

My husband and son recently hung out with some friends from church. It has been a long time since they've seen each other. It was our son's idea to get together and things have been going well the past couple of weeks with them. They've been having fun, they've been relaxed and enjoying each other's company.

Until...

Over the weekend my husband received an envelope in the mail with no return address. Inside was a copy of a conference talk. There was no personal message of any kind, just the conference talk.

DH's response: "Awww, they love me! But I'm not going back." :lol:

So I guess now we wait to see if this is the end of it. Maybe this was just a toe in the water to see if we're open to going back.

MoPag

Re: Well, that didn't take long!

Post by MoPag » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:48 am

Too bad there wasn't a return address. You could have mailed them a copy of Oliver's analysis of that talk. :lol:
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:16 pm

TheRunningmom wrote:Over the weekend my husband received an envelope in the mail with no return address. Inside was a copy of a conference talk. There was no personal message of any kind, just the conference talk.
Can you reveal which talk? It might be an amusing way to sharpen our rhetorical knives over the content.

The tactic of the "anonymously mailed conference talk" seems like the guy in an action movie who blindly fires his gun over a wall in a firefight without aiming. It's an ineffective way to waste ammunition. Because he has lost rhetorical ground with this vain attempt to trick you into pondering the words of prophets, seers, and legislators.

TheRunningmom

Post by TheRunningmom » Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:22 pm

MoPag wrote:Too bad there wasn't a return address. You could have mailed them a copy of Oliver's analysis of that talk. :lol:
Tempting! I think we know who it is just because the handwriting is pretty unique, but I'd hate to send it to the wrong anonymous person. :D
Corsair wrote:Can you reveal which talk? It might be an amusing way to sharpen our rhetorical knives over the content.

The tactic of the "anonymously mailed conference talk" seems like the guy in an action movie who blindly fires his gun over a wall in a firefight without aiming. It's an ineffective way to waste ammunition. Because he has lost rhetorical ground with this vain attempt to trick you into pondering the words of prophets, seers, and legislators.
Yeah, it was Ballard's infamous talk: To Whom Shall We Go?

I agree with you, this was not exactly the best way to go about things. People feel stuck in these weird position where they feel like they need to share something but also don't want to be offensive or ruin a friendship, so they do these things anonymously thinking it's a softer way to do it.