The SP Counselor and E Sec came by

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Thoughtful

The SP Counselor and E Sec came by

Post by Thoughtful » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:17 pm

To see my 17yo son. They are concerned that he didn't register for seminary.

Why is my 17yo on the stake visit circuit you ask?

Could it be that he's a white, male, prospective elder?

Spouseman doesn't think so.

This is the second stake visit for him in 2 wks. I haven't attended church since February, and haven't had a single ward visit in that time. So weird how that P thing makes such a difference in your relative value.

I didn't let them in. I had Spouseman send them a nicely worded bugger off text after they left. 17yo said he wants to remove his name.

moksha

Re: The SP Counselor and E Sec came by

Post by moksha » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:49 am

When it was time for us to select course offerings for our junior year in high school, I received a full court press from students, with whom I never associated otherwise, to register for a seminary class. I had not taken seminary during my 9th and 10th-grade years and somehow that came to the attention of the LDS seminary teachers who urged the students in their classes to coax and cajole all such students not taking seminary to enroll. I ended up enrolling but was disappointed in how ineffective the class was in teaching the stories of the New Testament. Looking back at that experience, I think using other students to pressure anyone into enrolling for seminary classes was underhanded. Had this occurred outside the Jell-O belt, perhaps some ethical shenanigans would have been eventually been called on that practice.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:55 am

Thoughtful wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:17 pm

I would say yes^^^ Could you imagine them doing this for a 17 year old girl? I can't.
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:30 am

MoPag wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:55 am
Thoughtful wrote:

I would say yes^^^ Could you imagine them doing this for a 17 year old girl? I can't.
And if they did, it would be the seminary teacher, not two stake leaders.

Mormorrisey

Post by Mormorrisey » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:35 am

Thoughtful wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:30 am
MoPag wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:55 am
Thoughtful wrote:

And if they did, it would be the seminary teacher, not two stake leaders.
Bing! Bing! Bing! We have two winners here. That's EXACTLY how it would have went down. Pretty sad.
"And I don't need you...or, your homespun philosophies."
"And when you try to break my spirit, it won't work, because there's nothing left to break."

profit_seizer

Post by profit_seizer » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:11 pm

Two things that stick out to me as someone's who's traded a life of active Mormonhood for a life of active political organizing: 1) The church is obviously aware of good organizing principles and 2) dogmatism prevents them from implementing them like reasonable human beings. The organizing principle here is clearly to identify and develop potential "leadership", which they're doing by recognizing that your child is a potential missionary, nearly ready to be of age, and focusing efforts on him. But that weird-ass dogmatism keeps them knocking that front door (and of course the patriarchy keeps them going after "prospective elders" but not "prospective Laurels" in the same way) without ever taking an interest in your or your child's concerns or well-being.

I don't have a lot of hope for changing the church from the inside, though I dearly wish it would change—but at the rate they keep going, from HQ and on the ground, it's not really going to be growing in the future (of course the data bear that out, but sheeeeeeesh).
"The history of human thought recalls the swinging of a pendulum which takes centuries to swing. After a long period of slumber comes a moment of awakening." —Peter Kropotkin

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:08 pm

profit_seizer wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:11 pm
Two things that stick out to me as someone's who's traded a life of active Mormonhood for a life of active political organizing: 1) The church is obviously aware of good organizing principles and 2) dogmatism prevents them from implementing them like reasonable human beings. The organizing principle here is clearly to identify and develop potential "leadership", which they're doing by recognizing that your child is a potential missionary, nearly ready to be of age, and focusing efforts on him. But that weird-ass dogmatism keeps them knocking that front door (and of course the patriarchy keeps them going after "prospective elders" but not "prospective Laurels" in the same way) without ever taking an interest in your or your child's concerns or well-being.

I don't have a lot of hope for changing the church from the inside, though I dearly wish it would change—but at the rate they keep going, from HQ and on the ground, it's not really going to be growing in the future (of course the data bear that out, but sheeeeeeesh).

That's just it, Spouseman got a reply to his text that "we're just trying to get to know him and support him". And yet their d-bag children can't be bothered to glance out of their cliques for the last 4 years... if they really cared, they would be there all along, not when the numbers start to matter. My retort would be that it's creepy for 45 year old men to show such interest in a teenage boy....

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:52 am

Yesterday we were leaving the soccer field after my daughter's game and ran into SP counselor. His daughter's game was about to start on the field we were leaving.

He jumped on the chance to access my son and would not stop talking. He missed the first half of his child's game because trying to convince my son he is a friend and a cool guy is apparently more important than his 5yo. When I said, "our girls have gone to the truck, we need to go," he ignored me and oriented his body away from me and more toward my son.

This is grooming behavior. Gotta save that prospective elder!

achilles

Post by achilles » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:08 am

Thoughtful wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:08 pm
My retort would be that it's creepy for 45 year old men to show such interest in a teenage boy....
PLEASE send this text. I will give you $5.
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.”

― Carl Sagan

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:12 am

achilles wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:08 am
Thoughtful wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:08 pm
My retort would be that it's creepy for 45 year old men to show such interest in a teenage boy....
PLEASE send this text. I will give you $5.

I would have, but I'm not sure I am more than a blip on his radar. After all, I don't have the P thing that you need to be relevant.

moksha

Post by moksha » Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:28 am

moksha wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:49 am
When it was time for us to select course offerings for our junior year in high school, I received a full court press from students, with whom I never associated otherwise, to register for a seminary class. I had not taken seminary during my 9th and 10th-grade years and somehow that came to the attention of the LDS seminary teachers who urged the students in their classes to coax and cajole all such students not taking seminary to enroll. I ended up enrolling but was disappointed in how ineffective the class was in teaching the stories of the New Testament. Looking back at that experience, I think using other students to pressure anyone into enrolling for seminary classes was underhanded. Had this occurred outside the Jell-O belt, perhaps some ethical shenanigans would have been eventually been called on that practice.
You do realize that you are describing a time when David O. McKay was still the Church President? Surely times have changed and such an anecdote is no longer relevant except for the mention of Jell-O.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Brent

Post by Brent » Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:34 am

1. Keep loving and supporting your son.
2. He's not enjoying the attention.
3. LDS kids lose the opportunity to take 8 elective courses because of seminary. That's a full semester.
4. Be wary of chance encounters, they might not be so chance.
5. If he doesn't plan on attending an LDS school seminary only takes away a chance to explore another class.

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:48 pm

Brent wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:34 am
1. Keep loving and supporting your son.
2. He's not enjoying the attention.
3. LDS kids lose the opportunity to take 8 elective courses because of seminary. That's a full semester.
4. Be wary of chance encounters, they might not be so chance.
5. If he doesn't plan on attending an LDS school seminary only takes away a chance to explore another class.
We are not in Utah so no released time. However, it's not healthy for teenagers to have 6am classes. He doesn't need to lose sleep. He has no intention of church schools and as a postmo, he would not qualify to attend one (he wants to remove his name from the records).

This is about more than seminary, it's about strengthening the priesthood in our stake, IMO. They want him for an elder in 8 months.

Brent

Post by Brent » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:38 pm

Back in the day they called it "age appropriate priesthood" and by 18 there weren't a lot...

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:07 am

Update: now they've invited Spouseman and I out to Mexican food. Spouseman texted back that he can go but I have plans, so should he go stag or bring a date.

They, being incapable of laughing at a double entendre, suggested he bring his sister.

IT_Veteran

Post by IT_Veteran » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:51 pm

:lol: :lol:

Somehow, I'm not the least bit surprised that it went right over their heads.

On a more serious note, why are they meeting? Still trying to get the hooks into your kiddo for seminary? Or for the grand penishood? It's interesting that they are completely unwilling to take no for an answer on this.

Brent

Post by Brent » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:59 pm

I am a bad person.

He should take a male "friend"...a partner as it were..

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:00 pm

IT_Veteran wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:51 pm
:lol: :lol:

Somehow, I'm not the least bit surprised that it went right over their heads.

On a more serious note, why are they meeting? Still trying to get the hooks into your kiddo for seminary? Or for the grand penishood? It's interesting that they are completely unwilling to take no for an answer on this.
Probably all of the above.