From Apostate to the HC

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
A New Name

Re: From Apostate to the HC

Post by A New Name » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:49 pm

FiveFingerMnemonic wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:21 pm
Is it also possible the Stake Pres is attempting to keep a close eye on you? Or perhaps thinking this might spark re-conversion?
Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer!

Random

Post by Random » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:51 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:45 am
PS. Can we just keep this going as the "Mormorrisey HC Experience" mega thread?
I heartily vote yes!

I think this is an incredible opportunity Mormorrisey. I love the unexpected turn of events with your stake prez in the op. It looks like you'll be a force for good as long as you are there (judging by your story about teaching a class). Shaking up is what the people need, imo.
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:32 pm

Bumping for the next installment of Mormorrisey HC awesomeness. Hey, you referenced it in a reply on another thread.

Any updates?
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Mormorrisey

Post by Mormorrisey » Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:48 pm

Man, talk about pressure!

But frankly...nothing really to report. It's been boring. Really, really, really, boring. A couple of hours of my life a couple of days a month that I'll never, ever get back. I can't believe it's been nearly two years, and absolutely nothing to report out of the ordinary. I make some smartass comments here and there, generally contribute nothing of value (kind of like what I do here!), and that's about it. The highlight has been a massive rant against the nonsense in the Miracle of Forgiveness, which I told the group is out of print. Which they didn't believe me, until they Googled it. Right there. I know, I know, they can get it as an e-book from Deseret but the point was made. Why I'm even there is beyond me. I'd love to open up the heads of the three dudes at the front and see what they're thinking, having me there. But you know what? Best calling I've ever had. I go to meetings, help with a couple of activities that are generally fun and not indoctrinate-y, speak a couple of times a year in a very NOM-ish way, and that's about it. Nothing really of consequence.

The only real story I can offer happened at a disciplinary council. We've had a couple over the two years, and generally my friend chooses mercy, which is very good. After all, if you read this thread you know he offered it to me. Well, this one case was interesting. Like, Mellingkie and his story of financial chicanery in Holland kind of interesting. Luckily, my friend still chose mercy more than punishment for the miscreant - unfortunately, for me, in this particular case, mercy wasn't enough. I wanted exoneration for this guy. So I didn't sustain the verdict. And frankly, they didn't know what to do. I actually had to tell them that what I voted didn't matter, and they can still do what they want. (Which, by the way, I'm glad the new handbook does away with the farce that there's a united high council behind these decisions.) They consulted the handbook, found out I was right, and did "what they felt they needed to do."

Afterwards one of the councillors approached me a bit confused, and asked me why I did what I did. Basically I told him that while the guy probably didn't do the most ethical thing, it wasn't egregious enough to punish him for it. Which is what these things were, about punishing the sinner. This took him aback, and he said, "but we love this brother." I said that's clear, which it was, but it's the SYSTEM that's the problem. It's all about shame, control and punishment. I lectured him on Jean Calvin's Geneva (it's so hard to get the historian out of me), which really, if you think about it, Calvinism has nothing on Mormonism when it comes to theocracy, and how this was a medieval system of inquisition that needs to go. Which it does. This just made him more confused, and so we dropped it. But it's pretty clear where I stand, and I guess that's what's important.

Anyways, that's about the highlight of my stories. Sorry to disappoint - but my area is not a hotbed of dissent, it's just a hotbed of people not really giving a crap. And it's definitely personified by people like me!
"And I don't need you...or, your homespun philosophies."
"And when you try to break my spirit, it won't work, because there's nothing left to break."

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:32 pm

Thanks for posting on this again. Posting after two years gives a little bit of perspective. I enjoy you're references to John Calvin. I believe when people get a little power they can really mess things up. But despite Calvin's errors there is still a Presbyterian Church, which I attended for three years, and they still do some good. Even though I quit attending the PC I think I would feel more comfortable there than I do when I go back to the LDS church. When I do go back to the LDS Church I sense there are a few nuanced believers, but the Literalists are definitely in control. We can hope that "Miracle of Forgiveness" will go the way of Brigham's 1877 lecture at the veil. How much longer do you think you'll stay on the HC?
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

Mormorrisey

Post by Mormorrisey » Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:52 pm

deacon blues wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:32 pm
How much longer do you think you'll stay on the HC?
I think it depends on a variety of factors. If I become more vocal, I think they'll have enough - but there's been a lot of changeover in the high council, and a lot of the older literalist group is gone. So for the most part, it's a younger crew and they aren't quite the fundamentalists. So I don't really need to be as vocal, to counteract some of the nonsense that I had to endure for the first couple of months. The other point, is that they simply don't know what to do with me. Since they've determined they don't want to get rid of me, I'm sure they want to find SOMETHING for me to do, and as long as I'm harmless, this is the best thing. I don't teach, I don't really interact with most of the members so my apostate disease is contained somewhat. So as long as that's the case, I think I'll be there for a while.

Of course, all this can change at any moment, so we'll see. But I'm 100% convinced that I won't be on the top ten list for any other calling, so as long as the stars keep aligning properly I'll be here for the long haul.
"And I don't need you...or, your homespun philosophies."
"And when you try to break my spirit, it won't work, because there's nothing left to break."