Shining a Light on Abuse

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
IT_Veteran

Shining a Light on Abuse

Post by IT_Veteran » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:55 am

Frustrating morning today. Woke up to a brand new post on MormonLeaks detailing the church's efforts to cover up sexual abuse in August-October 2012. Some of them were less definitive than others. Not wanting to send a missionary home because his SP has a duty to report though? That's just awful. So I wrote another article, this time about abuse in the church and why it's time for change.

https://medium.com/@srpeters18/shining- ... b1f0ccf184

Mormorrisey

Re: Shining a Light on Abuse

Post by Mormorrisey » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:51 am

I'd love to say I'm shocked by these new leaks, but I'm not. I've seen it firsthand how the church attempts to cover it up, yet in 100% of the cases I'm aware of, I have also seen how victims say "bag this" and go to the cops anyways. That's the only way to avoid the coverup, and it's so important to report it - in that way, the "make sure you tell" policy is the only way to avoid this kind of nonsense.

Protecting the organization at all costs is not only a Mormon disease, either - and that's a societal challenge. Kudos to Mormonleaks and you, IT vet, for shining a light on this. It's got to stop.

Imagine ex'ing Sam after these leaks. Again, what a PR nightmare, and a most deserving one.
"And I don't need you...or, your homespun philosophies."
"And when you try to break my spirit, it won't work, because there's nothing left to break."

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:54 am

Ugh! That is just horrible!!! I saw this floating around FB earlier today. Thanks for your article. I didn't have the strength to actually pull it up on MormonLeaks. These past couple of weeks have just been really taxing in the postmo/progmo and NOM communities.

I gotta say too, I have mad respect for the person who leaked these! I hope these go viral. And if they do...

I wonder what stupid stunt COB will try in order to knock it off the top page of search engines
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

IT_Veteran

Post by IT_Veteran » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:59 am

Mormorrisey wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:51 am
Imagine ex'ing Sam after these leaks. Again, what a PR nightmare, and a most deserving one.
I thought about this today. I don't know the guys over at MormonLeaks, but I wondered if they decided to wait until today because it was after Sam's excommunication letter was likely dropped in the mail.

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:09 pm

Good article ITV!

Dude! Can you imagine the witch hunt PPIs going on over at K&M today? The feeling in that office must be really intense right now.

https://media2.giphy.com/media/pzS0V5kJV1Zf2/giphy.gif
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

IT_Veteran

Post by IT_Veteran » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:46 pm

RubinHighlander wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:09 pm
Good article ITV!

Dude! Can you imagine the witch hunt PPIs going on over at K&M today? The feeling in that office must be really intense right now.

https://media2.giphy.com/media/pzS0V5kJV1Zf2/giphy.gif
Thanks!

I have a sneaking suspicion that the individual that grabbed this particular document left the firm before handing this over - long ago. If he/she is an attorney, they'd be looking at disbarment for divulging it, so it's either someone without that particular weight over their head, or they're already no longer with the firm.

Or someone breached their information system.