MormonLeaks releases audio of bishop speaking with YW after firearm discharges in building

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
stealthbishop

MormonLeaks releases audio of bishop speaking with YW after firearm discharges in building

Post by stealthbishop » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:12 am

MormonLeaks posts audio of a bishop in Provo telling YW to not say anything on social media about a firearm discharge in or outside the building.

Here is the link:
https://mormonleaks.io/newsroom/2018/09 ... in-church/

This is the church's position on firearms being brought into meetinghouses and temples:
https://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/ ... of-worship

It sounds like this bishop is saying that someone brought in a gun and it discharged accidentally and nobody was hurt. The gun was brought in by the individual because of threats to one of the ward members apparently. The bishop is telling the YW not to say anything about it or post about it on social media because they won't be able to control the story. He also makes a creepy comment to one of the YW at the end saying her name was the same one as a girl he first dated so there is good name association :roll: .

This bishop is naive if he thinks this wouldn't get out. We don't live in that world any longer. Doesn't he know about Jesus's prophecy of the last days:

"Therefore whatsoever ye have spoken in darkness shall be heard in the light; and that which ye have spoken in the ear in closets shall be proclaimed upon the housetops" (Luke 12:3).
"Take second best
Put me to the test
Things on your chest
You need to confess"

-Depeche Mode

Just This Guy

Re: MormonLeaks releases audio of bishop speaking with YW after firearm discharges in building

Post by Just This Guy » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:41 pm

Nothing like showing they have nothing to hide by hiding the fact they have nothing to hide...
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

Archimedes

Re: MormonLeaks releases audio of bishop speaking with YW after firearm discharges in building

Post by Archimedes » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:58 pm

I'm pretty sure guns are banned from church buildings even if you have a concealed carry permit. This is why, you dont want untrained people bringing loose, loaded pistols into a house of worship. I think its in the Handbook even.
"She never loved you; she loved the church, her one true love. She used you to marry the church by proxy."

-- unknown reddit poster

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:59 am

In my ward, we have a Teacher stand outside the chapel doors with a loaded weapon, just in case.../s
~2bizE

Mormorrisey

Post by Mormorrisey » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:05 am

They just can't help themselves, can they? And yet they trumpet how transparent they are. Well, actually the exact phrase that both Cook and Ballard used recently was "we are as transparent as we know how to be." Which apparently, is very little.

I'm not often glad I'm me rather than someone else, but imagine having Eric Hawkins' job right now? What a disaster.
"And I don't need you...or, your homespun philosophies."
"And when you try to break my spirit, it won't work, because there's nothing left to break."

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:56 am

2bizE wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:59 am
In my ward, we have a Teacher stand outside the chapel doors with a loaded weapon, just in case.../s
We have Nephites in full battle armor, just like the Logan Temple did when the feds came looking for polygamists.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:07 am

This is just a continuation of the policy for all Young Men about not having improper discharges of their own external hand held items. The church doesn't want to talk publicly about those things either.

Not Buying It

Post by Not Buying It » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:31 am

I think it's going to take leaders in the Church a while to catch up with the times and realize they can't just say crap without running the risk of it being recorded and distributed. Too many of them grew up in a world where you could say stuff and there wasn't a convenient way of recording it. So this bishop comes bumbling along and thinks he can tell the young women not to talk about this incident - and someone records it and it's all over the Bloggernacle now (along with his creepy "first crush" comment to one of the young women). Sam Young's stake president thinks he can confiscate the phones from Sam and his wife and all will be secret, and someone else record part of the meeting and releases it to the world.

People can record anything now with a handy device everyone carries around, and many of them aren't intimidated by BS authority claims. But LDS leadership live in some weird Twilight Zone time capsule where this doesn't happen.

I think we are going to see a lot more cases of leaders being recorded before they finally catch on.
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph

lostinmiddlemormonism

Post by lostinmiddlemormonism » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:22 pm

Not Buying It wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:31 am
I think it's going to take leaders in the Church a while to catch up with the times and realize they can't just say crap without running the risk of it being recorded and distributed. Too many of them grew up in a world where you could say stuff and there wasn't a convenient way of recording it. So this bishop comes bumbling along and thinks he can tell the young women not to talk about this incident - and someone records it and it's all over the Bloggernacle now (along with his creepy "first crush" comment to one of the young women). Sam Young's stake president thinks he can confiscate the phones from Sam and his wife and all will be secret, and someone else record part of the meeting and releases it to the world.

People can record anything now with a handy device everyone carries around, and many of them aren't intimidated by BS authority claims. But LDS leadership live in some weird Twilight Zone time capsule where this doesn't happen.

I think we are going to see a lot more cases of leaders being recorded before they finally catch on.
...but....but....but religious freedom, don't ya know.

Anon70

Post by Anon70 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:20 am

Archimedes wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:58 pm
I'm pretty sure guns are banned from church buildings even if you have a concealed carry permit. This is why, you dont want untrained people bringing loose, loaded pistols into a house of worship. I think its in the Handbook even.
This actually made me scared today. I’ve frequently worried about sending my kids to high school-who knows where the next mass shooting will occur? But church? It’s never occurred to me to be afraid of sending my kids there because of potential gun violence. He was very lucky no one was harmed. So often we hear of a gun going off accidentally in a home and killing someone. That could have been the case there Sunday. :/