Sunstone in trouble?

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Hagoth

Sunstone in trouble?

Post by Hagoth » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:21 pm

I received a mass mailing email (as some of you surely did) from Lindsay Hansen that says,

"Sunstone is facing a financial crisis and we need your immediate help or we will have to close our doors after over 40 years of service to the Mormon Community. As you are aware, Sunstone is funded by your generous tax-deductible donations. Unfortunately, the recent loss of some key donors have resulted in us facing our first budget deficit. But, You Can Save Sunstone with a recurring donation of as little as $5 per month!"

Does anyone know who these key donors were and why they pulled out? Pressure from the church due to the increasingly critical nature of Sunstone symposium?
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Random

Re: Sunstone in trouble?

Post by Random » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:11 pm

bump

I'm also interested in the answer.
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:59 pm

Kirton McKonkie?
LDS church?
Larry H. Miller?
Larry Flint?
~2bizE

trophywife26.2

Post by trophywife26.2 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:20 pm

I don't know who the donor would be, but the timing has me thinking it could be related to someone who doesn't want to be connected to the Courtney Kendrick and Robert Kirby fiasco... since that happened at Sunstone? I'm also curious.
Even if it's something disappointing, it's still better to know the truth. Because people can deal with disappointment. And once they've done that, they can feel that they have really grown. And that can be such a good feeling. -Fred Rogers

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:19 pm

My devout father used to have a subscription to Sunstone in the 1980s. But Sunstone got too edgy for him and he ended his subscription. Lindsay Hansen Park has done a great job to make it big tent Mormonism, but I cannot imagine my father joining in this latest fundraising campaign. I certainly don't know who the new benefactor is.

moksha

Post by moksha » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:50 pm

trophywife26.2 wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:20 pm
I don't know who the donor would be, but the timing has me thinking it could be related to someone who doesn't want to be connected to the Courtney Kendrick and Robert Kirby fiasco... since that happened at Sunstone? I'm also curious.
I'm curious too. It might be worth it to attend Sunstone just to get some of those marijuana brownies. At regular Sunday services, all they give you is a piece of Wonder Bread and a thimble full of water.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

The Beast

Post by The Beast » Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:25 pm

trophywife26.2 wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:20 pm
Robert Kirby fiasco? Where do I go to find out about that?
Are you on the square? Are you on the level?

Random

Post by Random » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:35 am

The Beast wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:25 pm
This will give you an idea of what happened.

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/900 ... event.html
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

PK

Random

Post by Random » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:38 am

I hate to say this, but this
Kendrick wrote. "The truth is, I was still stunned and shocked, and inside me remained that voice, 'Just please him' and 'He's a big deal, you don't want to reject him.'"
makes me think it was her Mormon training, where a woman has to do what a man says, especially if he's a big deal/important.

PK

The Beast

Post by The Beast » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:29 am

Random wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:35 am
The Beast wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:25 pm
This will give you an idea of what happened.

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/900 ... event.html
Thanks for the link, and yikes!
Are you on the square? Are you on the level?