Vote Yes Prop 2

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Hagoth

Vote Yes Prop 2

Post by Hagoth » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:40 pm

“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

A New Name

Re: Vote Yes Prop 2

Post by A New Name » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:43 pm

quote.jpg
quote.jpg (30.06 KiB) Viewed 10363 times

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:58 am

That's an awesome billboard!!!!
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:04 pm

A New Name wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:43 pm
Imagequote.jpg
That's an awesome quote!!!!
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:33 pm

The COB has $1.3 billion worth of stocks in seven different pharmaceutical companies.
Maybe if they had invested in MJ it would be a completely different story in the UT legislature!

https://www.nasdaq.com/symbol/mj
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

moksha

Post by moksha » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:01 pm

Even if this passes, it will still be hard to convince the State Elders to issue a medical marijuana card for some people. How many people with a high rate of epileptic seizures will be able to reliably recite all verses of Come, Come Ye Saints at the State Health Department registration window every six months? Plus the value added State sin tax (not to be mistaken for syntax) will be hefty.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

stealthbishop

Post by stealthbishop » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:18 am

Hagoth wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:40 pm
I saw that! So awesome!!!!!!
"Take second best
Put me to the test
Things on your chest
You need to confess"

-Depeche Mode

DPRoberts

Post by DPRoberts » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:04 am

There is this little thing called the constitution that the Mormon MJ blitz is blatantly trying to violate. Oh wait, they're a corporation, not a church./S

TempleCapitol3.png
TempleCapitol3.png (192.83 KiB) Viewed 10207 times
When an honest man discovers he is mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or cease to be honest. -anon
The belief that there is only one truth, and that oneself is in possession of it, is the root of all evil in the world. -Max Born

Kishkumen

Post by Kishkumen » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:15 pm

DPRoberts wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:04 am
There is this little thing called the constitution that the Mormon MJ blitz is blatantly trying to violate. Oh wait, they're a corporation, not a church./S

TempleCapitol3.png
If Trump is a RINO , then Mormonism is a ChINO

DPRoberts

Post by DPRoberts » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:27 pm

To the OP, it looks like this billboard is targeted toward the disaffected. And it may succeed in persuading even some ultra conservative Mormons as well. I am thinking of the Snuffer leaning believers who will likely notice that the current leadership is clueless about their own scriptures. This may motivate them to vote opposed to church leaders by voting for prop 2.
When an honest man discovers he is mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or cease to be honest. -anon
The belief that there is only one truth, and that oneself is in possession of it, is the root of all evil in the world. -Max Born

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:53 pm

I want a sign like this for my yard.
~2bizE

sundancegt

Post by sundancegt » Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:42 pm

Is this not the perfect night for me to post on a topic here on NOM?

There is a discussion of legalized pot, and I'm sitting high as fcuk, in a state where it is fully legal. Yeah me.

Anyway...

I do have a question for everyone there. I'm having a rolay time typing this. My brain, works through my finger to make the words work. Holy smokes this is fun. There is a typo in the line above me. I wrote rolay and mean to write royal... Hah. I almost misspelled again.

My question.
Why does the church not care about this in any of the other states? I don't get what Mormons living in legal states must think of the church figthing so hard. there.

Anyway. hey everyone. I'm having a blast tonigh!

DPRoberts

Post by DPRoberts » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:10 am

Kishkumen wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:15 pm
DPRoberts wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:04 am

TempleCapitol3.png
If Trump is a RINO , then Mormonism is a ChINO
Good thought, Kish. We should add that to the NOM lexicon. Goes well with terms like TSCC and ziontology.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:25 am

sundancegt wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:42 pm
Is this not the perfect night for me to post on a topic here on NOM?

There is a discussion of legalized pot, and I'm sitting high as fcuk, in a state where it is fully legal. Yeah me.

Anyway...

I do have a question for everyone there. I'm having a rolay time typing this. My brain, works through my finger to make the words work. Holy smokes this is fun. There is a typo in the line above me. I wrote rolay and mean to write royal... Hah. I almost misspelled again.

My question.
Why does the church not care about this in any of the other states? I don't get what Mormons living in legal states must think of the church figthing so hard. there.

Anyway. hey everyone. I'm having a blast tonigh!
I hope you brought enough for everyone!

DPRoberts

Post by DPRoberts » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:39 am

sundancegt wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:42 pm

My question.
I am not sure that God Herself can divine where these guys are coming from, but I can speculate. It may partially have to do with the perception that Utah is synonymous with Mormon (ETCOJCOLDS). Couple that with a very misinformed group of men (see the leaked video Mormon Leaks: In Which They Fret Over the Growing Popularity of Marijuana) who still believe the nonsense we were taught in the 70's about MJ as a gateway drug, and who associate MJ with the lifestyle of hippies. From a PR sense they have a (perhaps irrational) aversion to how outsiders might view the chINO if MMJ is legalized.

The other issue is turf and control. The thing that has stalled legislative adoption of MMJ in Utah is opposition from the church. If you listen to the Radio West interview with the MMJ proponents they mention how the church lobbyists (known on capitol hill as the "home teachers") have been obstructing MMJ legislative efforts from the start. And how in the beginning they had no coherent reasons for their opposition. They have learned a few things along the way, but I think (and this is just me) the real issue now has become the waning influence of the chINO over Utah political affairs. Notwithstanding our State Constitution the church has always tried to dominate certain issues in Utah. Their current laments over religious freedom are really about the loss of the privileged place they have enjoyed in the public sphere, especially in their own back yard. The unprecedented and in my view, unconstitutional, steps they have taken to oppose MMJ really shows how desperate they are to reclaim that influence at home.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:01 pm

DPRoberts wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:39 am
The other issue is turf and control.
Absolutely. I have a feeling that the real concern for the church is making sure that its political branch (i.e. the state government) realizes the same kind of control and profitability that it has enjoyed with alcohol.