Victory, BOM Musical on Broadway NYC

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
MalcolmVillager

Victory, BOM Musical on Broadway NYC

Post by MalcolmVillager » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:23 pm

DW and I are going to NYC for a quick (belated) 20th anniversary weekend. She bought us tickets for BOM musical. "I BELIEVE" I will enjoy it. I just hope she doesn't shout "Turn It Off" and leave early since I have heard there is a lot of language and it is pretty irreverent.

I will return and report.

Has anyone else seen it?

Wonderment

Re: Victory, BOM Musical on Broadway NYC

Post by Wonderment » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:47 pm

I have seen video excerpts of BOM and have listened to most of the songs. I like them ! It is irreverent, and it does have some language. But, it is still difficult to get tickets here in the Bay Area of Calif., because it is almost always sold out. You were fortunate to get Broadway tickets ( expensive !)-- what a nice gift. Someday I hope to go see it in person. Please report back to us ! :) - Wndr.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:14 pm

Congrats on the anniversary!

Haven't seen it yet but plan to eventually.

The rock in my hat tells me your wife and family will be out in the future.

PS. If you see Enough tell her I said hi and we miss her here.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Kishkumen

Post by Kishkumen » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:22 pm

MalcolmVillager

Post by MalcolmVillager » Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:23 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:14 pm
Congrats on the anniversary!

Haven't seen it yet but plan to eventually.

The rock in my hat tells me your wife and family will be out in the future.

MAYBE. WE ARE GOING SLOW FOR FAMILY, FRIENDS, AND THE KIDS. MENTALLY OUT FOR NOW.

PS. If you see Enough tell her I said hi and we miss her here.

WILL DO. SHE IS LAYING LOW RIGHT NOW I THINK.
On another funny note, we are walking around NYC killing time and we just happened to walk past the temple. We took a picture and joked about posting both thst and the BOM musical picture and then asking "guess which of these buildings we went into for the celebration of our 29th?!!"

It was funny but that post will not happen!

moksha

Post by moksha » Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:59 pm

MalcolmVillager wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:23 pm
I just hope she doesn't shout "Turn It Off" and leave early since I have heard there is a lot of language and it is pretty irreverent.
Reminds me of readers slamming the pages of the Bible shut and indignantly declaring, "Way too much begetting for me!" The proper response to this is the phrase “hasa diga eebowai” as revealed to the stalwart missionaries to Uganda.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

lostinmiddlemormonism

Post by lostinmiddlemormonism » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:14 pm

Like a light switch...

MalcolmVillager

Post by MalcolmVillager » Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:54 am

So here is my report.

I was extremely co cerned that DW would be offended at some point during the show. At the end of one specific song I was very cautious to clap, but DW led the way. I dont want to put any spoilers here.

Several of the songs, especially at the beginning, really could be done at a ward roadshow. A TBM crowd would think it was all serious (check them out on YouTube). A few of the songs are really pretty vulgar, profane, blasphemous, and over the top.

We both loved it. We laughed loud. Many of the Lords anointed were spoken evil of, and God was blatantly mocked over and over.

All that said, I cannot believe DW went, wasn't offended, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Years ago I laughed at Infants on Thrones in secret. Today DW is laughing along with me.

On a side note, we had the cheapest and furthest seats at the back. A few rows in front of us there was a lady who was fairly tipsy and extremely vocal the entire show. She laughed obnoxiously, yelled, stood and clapped at every joke (especially the stuff that was a bit of inside baseball for the average spectator). It seemed obvious she was and exmo celebrating loudly in freedom. I felt the same but she ruined the shoe for those around and behind her. Luckily that was very few since we were way in the back.

If you have a chance to see it and dont mind lots of F-bombs and some overtly vulgar jokes, I would say it is worth it for sure. The message at the end is actually pretty good.

Check out "I Believe" and "Turn It Off" on YouTube for some of the highlights without any spoilers.

stealthbishop

Post by stealthbishop » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:17 am

MalcolmVillager wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:23 pm
DW and I are going to NYC for a quick (belated) 20th anniversary weekend. She bought us tickets for BOM musical. "I BELIEVE" I will enjoy it. I just hope she doesn't shout "Turn It Off" and leave early since I have heard there is a lot of language and it is pretty irreverent.

I will return and report.

Has anyone else seen it?
Yes!

It's South Park so it is highly irreverent!

First half is better than the second>

Favorite songs of mine:

Hello
Turn it off!
I Believe

Have fun!

I took my orthodox spouse and she was mostly cool with it. Like I said the second half is more irreverent and not quite as good IMO other than I Believe which is a strong standout of course.
"Take second best
Put me to the test
Things on your chest
You need to confess"

-Depeche Mode

Wonderment

Post by Wonderment » Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:06 pm

A few rows in front of us there was a lady who was fairly tipsy and extremely vocal the entire show. She laughed obnoxiously, yelled, stood and clapped at every joke (especially the stuff that was a bit of inside baseball for the average spectator). It seemed obvious she was and exmo celebrating loudly in freedom. I felt the same but she ruined the shoe for those around and behind her. Luckily that was very few since we were way in the back.
Agree with you, and I can do without this kind of behavior. Just because someone's having a "cathartic moment" as an ex-Mo doesn't give her the right to ruin the show for those around her.

Thanks for the review -- glad your wife enjoyed the show. -- Wndr.

hmb

Post by hmb » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:03 pm

I saw it in SF. Can't say I loved it, but I have never been a fan of theater. While I didn't find it offensive, I could see how some would. I'll never look at frogs or balloons the same EVER again. I think the overall message was good. I think the typical TBM may be offended. To those who are open minded, I think the message is positive, but rough. It's pretty honest to those whose eyes are opened to the reality of of the LDS church.