SM Talk....

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Anon70

SM Talk....

Post by Anon70 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:28 pm

We moved into a new ward recently and I knew we'd be asked to speak. I'd been thinking about some of the advice on this board--stick to topics I can stomach--being a person of good character, service, etc. Well..guess what? my assignment is a recent GC talk that I HATED. I'm trying to think how to spin it. What would you do? Still faking it for everyone but spouse so while I'm probably considered "non orthodox" or "liberal" going NOM isn't an option yet.

Silver Girl

Re: SM Talk....

Post by Silver Girl » Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:48 pm

It's hard to offer suggestions without knowing which talk it is - can you share that info, or would it tip off people as to your identity?

For what it's worth - my strategy has been to find some small, hidden message of value in talks and focus on that - even the most odious talks usually have some type of normal platitude or good point hidden among the text.

The GC talks (at least in my area) are meant to be prompts rather than the basic theme of SM talks. Nobody will object if you grab one good (obscure or otherwise) point from the message and run with it. They are not going to yank you from the podium or chide you about it afterward. If you can't stand the person who gave the talk, I wouldn't even mention their name - i promise you, nobody will even notice.

One way to start a talk where you plan to dodge the theme of the GC message and go with your own thoughts is to pull out an innocuous phrase (the one you use as the hook) and say, "As I prepared for this talk, I was struck by the phrase, 'blah-blah-blah' and how important it is to our (happiness, family life, pick a thing)."

You can weave anything you want into the talk after that, as long as it doesn't blatantly slam the church. I quoted a famous Jewish philosopher and writer in the last talk I gave - the bishop loved it. I saw his eyebrows raise at first, but once he realized that the message had a point with universal merit, he was fine.

Good luck - let us know what you decide to do, and how it works out!
Silver Girl is sailing into the future. She is no longer scared.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:52 pm

Easy peasy!

The assigned topic never matters.

Just mention the talk you were asked to speak on then give the talk you want to give. Act as if the two are same. Nobody will know.

What's the worst that will happen? They never ask you to speak again?
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

moksha

Post by moksha » Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:06 pm

For a talk like that, strip out any woeful comments that may have been part of the original talk and replace them with positive, humanitarian thoughts.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

RGiles

Post by RGiles » Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:07 pm

Speak about whatever you want. No one in the audience will ever know and the bishopric won't care enough to stop your message unless you really go off the rails. If they question you about it afterwards, feign surprise and say you were so caught off guard to be asked to speak that you must've missed the GC topic.

FiveFingerMnemonic

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:25 pm

Those who assign conference talks as a subject for sacrament talks need at least 50 lashes with a bull whip.

Silver Girl

Post by Silver Girl » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:56 am

FiveFingerMnemonic wrote:Those who assign conference talks as a subject for sacrament talks need at least 50 lashes with a bull whip.
I agree - unfortunately, I think it's part of the major game plan of the church. At least one Sunday a month is supposed to be devoted to GC talks. After all - those words are the closest thing to hearing from God, right? Clinging to the words of a bunch of old men who are out of touch with the real world is so inspiring.
Silver Girl is sailing into the future. She is no longer scared.

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:14 am

When you get up to talk, say that you were assigned one conference talk, but the spirit moved you to ignore that one and to give a talk based off a completely different talk and then give a talk based on your favorite conference talk.

You are not having to lie about anything, you give a talk you want and the bishopric can't argue with your reasoning. You are following the spirit, they must not have been when they assigned that talk.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

Monomo

Post by Monomo » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:17 am

Silver Girl wrote: After all - those words are the closest thing to hearing from God, right? Clinging to the words of a bunch of old men who are out of touch with the real world is so inspiring.
This reminds me of when I was on my mission. We were told to recite the 6 discussions word for word, because who were we to change the words of the prophets? That changed later in my mission when we were told to use our own words, because how will people feel the spirit if we are just reciting words?

As far as your talk, I'd suggest doing what other people have said. Keep your talk loosely tied to the subject, but talk about what you want to talk about. That's going to make your talk so much better. Not many people, even the strongest TBMs really want to hear you recite a conference talk. That sounds absolutely ming numbing.

Korihor

Post by Korihor » Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:12 am

Red Ryder wrote:Easy peasy!

The assigned topic never matters.

Just mention the talk you were asked to speak on then give the talk you want to give. Act as if the two are same. Nobody will know.

What's the worst that will happen? They never ask you to speak again?
RR said it before me. Just talk about whatev's and if they say anything just play it cool
Reading can severely damage your ignorance.

Anon70

Post by Anon70 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:26 am

Thanks for the perspective everyone. I can't share the talk-still a little paranoid. But I did find one scripture in there that I felt good about and I'm basing my entire talk around it and I feel much better about it. NOM is the best.

LostGirl

Post by LostGirl » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:48 pm

I had to give a talk recently and I thought it was very nom-ish and was terrified it would out me, but couldn't just get up there and repeat the same platitudes we hear every week. Funnily enough I had several people seek me out to tell me they loved it. Maybe there are more of us out there than we think.

dispirited

Post by dispirited » Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:52 pm

In my ward there are lots of poleople who don't give talks. Anxiety of public speaking being the major reason. There is nothing wrong with when you are asked to politely say no thanks, I'm not convinced mfortable speaking in church. After a few times of getting asked, I was left alone. At least till the next Bishopric is installed...

moksha

Post by moksha » Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:03 pm

dispirited wrote: After a few times of getting asked, I was left alone.
I like my methodology of never being asked in the first place. :? Who knows what a penguin might say?
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Vlad the Emailer

Post by Vlad the Emailer » Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:31 pm

I think most NOM's are much more comfortable with this issue than I am. When we first moved into this ward and were asked to talk I immediately told the bishop's counselor that as a complete nonbeliever, I probably wasn't a very good pick for giving a talk. That was five years ago and I've not heard from any of them since.
When an honest man discovers he is mistaken, he will either cease being mistaken, or cease being honest. - Anonymous

Say what you want about the sweet miracle of unquestioning faith, I consider a capacity for it terrifying. - Kurt Vonnegut

Anon70

Post by Anon70 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:29 pm

Returning and reporting. Took the single topic I could feel good about in the GC talk and focused on it. Got more positive feedback than I've ever gotten after a talk. Was referenced in prayers, SS and RS comments. I think there are more of us out there than we realize...... :shock:

MerrieMiss

Post by MerrieMiss » Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:30 pm

Anon70 wrote:Returning and reporting. Took the single topic I could feel good about in the GC talk and focused on it. Got more positive feedback than I've ever gotten after a talk. Was referenced in prayers, SS and RS comments. I think there are more of us out there than we realize...... :shock:
Good job! I've spoken twice since my faith transition and both times it felt like the whole ward turned out to tell me how much they liked my talk. I do think people are aching for something. They really appreciate a talk on something other than correlated indoctrination.