The Story of My Weird Garment Dream

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
profit_seizer

The Story of My Weird Garment Dream

Post by profit_seizer » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:07 pm

Once upon a time (like 2006 ish?) I was living in The Elms, which is an apartment complex in the South of Campus part of Provo. I was a grad student at BYU. Anyhow, one night, I had a dream. It's pretty light on the details, but it felt like I was being trapped, like my garments were suffocating me. And this dream must have been vivid at the time, because I woke to the sound of ripping fabric. That's right, I had taken the collar of my T-shirt style garment top and pulled, in my sleep, hard enough to rip the thing about a third of the way down the middle. The next day I was shook as all get out. What did that mean? Had I desecrated my G's? I was experienced enough at that point to not think it needed a visit to the bishop, but it was WEIRD. Was I a secret apostate? I spent the rest of the week convincing myself I wasn't a secret apostate. Turns out I was a secret apostate. The End.
"The history of human thought recalls the swinging of a pendulum which takes centuries to swing. After a long period of slumber comes a moment of awakening." —Peter Kropotkin

Hagoth

Re: The Story of My Weird Garment Dream

Post by Hagoth » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:54 am

I think your problem was that you only did half of the ritual. You also needed to sit in ashes.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Reuben

Post by Reuben » Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:13 pm

I had a nightmare once set in the chapel I attended church in while growing up. There was something huge and terrible living under the center of it, and nobody I talked to about it cared.
Learn to doubt the stories you tell about yourselves and your adversaries.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:24 pm

I dreamt that I once attended a professional training event where we were supposed to bring a change of clothes for some outdoor team games and team training. I suddenly found myself in a hotel lobby bathroom having to change clothes in front of 30 other guys. Every one just started changing clothes. I was the only weirdo in fundamentalist polygamy panties.

Only I wasn't dreaming.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:10 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:24 pm
I dreamt that I once attended a professional training event where we were supposed to bring a change of clothes for some outdoor team games and team training. I suddenly found myself in a hotel lobby bathroom having to change clothes in front of 30 other guys. Every one just started changing clothes. I was the only weirdo in fundamentalist polygamy panties.

Only I wasn't dreaming.
You were representin'.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

græy

Post by græy » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:20 am

Oh! Weird dream time!?

Just a few weeks ago I had a dream about attending church with my family. Except, when we got to church the chapel was outdoors. There were pews, a stand, podium, piano and organ, the whole nine yards, but there were no walls around it. The "chapel" was surrounded by trees, like a small forest. As I got up to conduct the meeting a thick fog came rolling in. It was so thick that we couldn't see from one end of the outdoor chapel to the other. People panicked and screamed. Everyone started to leave. I left the stand to find my family, but they were already gone and I had no idea where. Then the dream ended.

I have no idea what this meant, and I'm kind of scared to think about it too much. I probably shouldn't eat whatever it was I had for dinner that night.
Well, I'm better than dirt! Ah, well... most kinds of dirt; not that fancy store-bought dirt; that stuff is loaded with nutrients. I can't compete with that stuff. -Moe Sizlack

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:13 am

græy wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:20 am
Oh! Weird dream time!?

Just a few weeks ago I had a dream about attending church with my family. Except, when we got to church the chapel was outdoors. There were pews, a stand, podium, piano and organ, the whole nine yards, but there were no walls around it. The "chapel" was surrounded by trees, like a small forest. As I got up to conduct the meeting a thick fog came rolling in. It was so thick that we couldn't see from one end of the outdoor chapel to the other. People panicked and screamed. Everyone started to leave. I left the stand to find my family, but they were already gone and I had no idea where. Then the dream ended.

I have no idea what this meant, and I'm kind of scared to think about it too much. I probably shouldn't eat whatever it was I had for dinner that night.
Fortunately I have a gift of interpreting dreams.

In your dream, the church with no walls represents your new found world view. There you will find beauty, love, and heartache as you see the world in a new way! The fog represents your disaffection from the familiar church you were raised in where pews, the stand, and burlap walls represent the tedious boredom of your old testimony. As you searched for your family you realized they were scared and ashamed of your new found world view and unbelief. They were supportive but ran from you as a result of the nasty farts that enraged your body after eating that frozen Stouffer's Lasagna brought over by the ward Relief Society President last Thursday.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

alas

Post by alas » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:33 am

I still have dreams about the church. One recurring one is that I am trapped in the building and can’t find a way out, and can’t find my family that is still in. I hear my grandson, who sounds exactly like his dad, so I am not sure how I know it is my grandson rather than my son, but I go to where I heard his voice and he isn’t there. But the building has endless halls, of course covered in burlap, that twist and turn, with no exits.

Dreams like this are a symptom of PTSD.

græy

Post by græy » Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:22 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:13 am
They were supportive but ran from you as a result of the nasty farts that enraged your body after eating that frozen Stouffer's Lasagna brought over by the ward Relief Society President last Thursday.
It was the lasagna's fault? I don't even remember eating lasagna.
Well, I'm better than dirt! Ah, well... most kinds of dirt; not that fancy store-bought dirt; that stuff is loaded with nutrients. I can't compete with that stuff. -Moe Sizlack

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:34 pm

Why do y'all keep typing about dreams?

These are all NIGHTMARES!

NIGHTMARES I tell ya!

NIGHTMARES!!!
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...