My first public drink

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Thoughtful

My first public drink

Post by Thoughtful » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:40 pm

I'm traveling and went out with people from work. Everyone on this trip significantly "outranks" me, and many have known my family for years and years. On the elevator a colleague suggested if everyone gets drunk, I can help them find their rooms, "since you don't drink."

I ordered a glass of rose during happy hour. My boss was delighted and asked If I'm also a rose fan. She said she has a few bottles of moscato at home that she doesn't care for as they are too sweet, and she will give them to me and my husband to enjoy. She said, "sweet wines are a great gateway drug." No one else noticed or cared. I'm sure they noticed, especially the one colleague, but I think it may be a relief for them that I'm not holier than thou.

I didn't order anything else with my dinner. One drink. I felt a little swimmy, but managed to act sober. (Funny how I'm definitely NOT used to this yet.)

Spouseman is having a beer at home tonight.

crossmyheart

Re: My first public drink

Post by crossmyheart » Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:35 am

How fun!
Sounds like a great experience. It is so nice to just be normal and blend in and enjoy a nice glass of wine with a meal.

Moscato was definitely my gateway drug!

IT_Veteran

Post by IT_Veteran » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:42 am

Congrats! I just had (on Saturday) a neighbor I've never met call across the alley (our garages face each other) "hey neighbor, want a beer?" It was great to just accept and get to know him a bit.

The first public drink was a hard one for me, especially among people that knew I didn't drink previously. The fear of them thinking I was a hypocrite was very real. Turns out, none of them care and are just glad I don't belong to a cult anymore.

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:49 am

Sweet!

We still prefer Moscoto and have been unable to find any enjoyment in wines other than the sweet ones. I keep trying but I can't find anything I like. White wines are a bit less vinegary, but the reds elude me. We have been enjoying whiskies, tequilas, vodkas, gins and many other hard liquors and I love a variety of local brewery flavors, hoppy, dark and creamy, sour, smooth, wheat hefe, fruits, lagers, so many to choose from!
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

IT_Veteran

Post by IT_Veteran » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:00 am

RubinHighlander wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:49 am
Sweet!

We still prefer Moscoto and have been unable to find any enjoyment in wines other than the sweet ones. I keep trying but I can't find anything I like. White wines are a bit less vinegary, but the reds elude me. We have been enjoying whiskies, tequilas, vodkas, gins and many other hard liquors and I love a variety of local brewery flavors, hoppy, dark and creamy, sour, smooth, wheat hefe, fruits, lagers, so many to choose from!
It's like a whole different world out there!

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:04 am

Rubin say it isn't so!!!

You just need to find the right red to complement a wonderful steak and conversation with friends!

Sigh...
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:59 am

Red Ryder wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:04 am
Rubin say it isn't so!!!

You just need to find the right red to complement a wonderful steak and conversation with friends!

Sigh...
I haven't given up and I never refuse red wine when they offer it. I've probably tried a dozen or more different ones, even ordered up an expensive one at Ruth's Chris steak house on our anniversary last year. It wasn't terrible, but I would have traded it for a pint of Red Rock Eliphino, given the choice.

Cheers!
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:31 pm

I'm pretty ambivalent about alcohol. I never got much beyond the sweet wines, Johannesburg Riesling being the best in my utterly unqualified opinion.

p.s. Rum and Coke!
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:40 pm

I really feel there's a whole world of flavor and socialization that I was completely unaware of. I feel like a child stop much of the time, being in my 30s and completely naive to deal life. Oy vey.

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:17 pm

Went out tonight to a bar, a colleague bought me a few drinks. I guess I'm escalating quickly. A few colleagues that just joined us at the conference asked questions--and then congratulated me.

Not for drinking, for getting out of the Mormon church. One looked visibly relieved.

Friends don't want friends in cults y'all.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:03 am

It's a slippery slope, Thoughtful. Your next post will probably be from the serial killer wing of the heroine recovery clinic.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

moksha

Post by moksha » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:37 am

Hagoth wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:31 pm
Johannesburg Riesling being the best in my utterly unqualified opinion.
Hagoth once again exhibits superlative taste and unflinching correctness.

Did you know that the muscat grape from which Moscato is made has been around for thousands of years? It might have even been served during a certain wedding in Canna. My first experience with this type of grape came when I was a teenager. Muscatel was at that time considered so sacred that drinkers would cover the bottle with a paper bag.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

lostinmiddlemormonism

Post by lostinmiddlemormonism » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:42 am

Two words:

Pimms cup

BringEmYoung

Post by BringEmYoung » Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:01 pm

I didn't like non-sweet wines much until I had a (red) Cabernet Sauvignon a few times. Now it's about the only wine I'll drink and it just makes me feel good, unlike a lot of other drinks.