Dallin Oaks - a fantasy

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Hagoth

Dallin Oaks - a fantasy

Post by Hagoth » Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:05 am

This morning I woke up with this story in my head:

After a miserly meal of Manwich on dry toast Dallin Oaks makes his way upstairs and puts himself to bed dressed in seven layers of Mark E. Petersen approved bedclothes. Just as he is nodding off the bedroom door bursts open and the ghost of Boyd K. Packer shambles into the room, weighed down with the chains of shame that he had laid on decades of young men, and grimy from his endless afterlife of toil in the little factories of Hades.

Ghostly Packer warns Oaks that he will be visited this very night by three ghosts, and he vanishes into vapor just as the first ghost appears, the specter of a young gay man from Oaks' past who committed suicide after failing at conversion therapy. Oaks is then visited by the ghosts of a lesbian girl and a transgender woman who lead him on nocturnal journeys that open his eyes to what an arrogant bully he has been.

When he wakes in the morning he leaps out of bed and runs to the window. "You there, what day is it?"

"Today sir? Why today is Gay Pride Day!"

Oaks eagerly joins the parade, hugging people, laughing and apologizing to everyone, with a promise that from now on he will do his best to uplift, rather than shame the oppressed. At the end of the day he signs over all of his money to the new LGBTQ Encircle Center and goes to bed that night with a big smile on his face and, for the first time in his life, a heart full of love for everyone.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

stealthbishop

Re: Dallin Oaks - a fantasy

Post by stealthbishop » Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:34 am

Absolutely brilliant! No other words. Brilliant!
"Take second best
Put me to the test
Things on your chest
You need to confess"

-Depeche Mode

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:47 am

I like it. Kind of a cross between ebeneezer scrouge and JS story.
~2bizE

Mormorrisey

Post by Mormorrisey » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:10 am

Excellent, Mr. Hagoth Dickens.

In a couple of decades, I'm sure the story of how Elder Oaks was transfigured into the growly visage of BKP will make the rounds. People who live in Brigham City will claim that they were there in the conference centre when "the light rested upon Elder Oaks, he looked up in the sky, and lo! His countenance shined liked the noon day, when all of a sudden, grey, tangly hair appeared on his head as if by magic, his voice dropped an octave and sounded like he swallowed gravel. I knew then, that he took upon himself the very appearance of our dearly departed Elder Packer."

By the way, the Mormorrisey brood were horrified by Dallin's talk, and Sis M was not pleased at what she considered evil speaking of the Lord's anointed that took place. Lots of "cranky old man" comments. I sure heard about it when I got home.
"And I don't need you...or, your homespun philosophies."
"And when you try to break my spirit, it won't work, because there's nothing left to break."

dogbite

Post by dogbite » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:17 am

Ginsberg wrote my fantasy for Oaks in Howl, line 36.

A link since the moderators would not condone a quote as the content is, hmmmm, harsh.

https://www.shmoop.com/howl/section-1-l ... mmary.html

Quote that in conference.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:22 am

dogbite wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:17 am

A link since the moderators would not condone a quote as the content is, hmmmm, harsh.

Like!

Really like!!
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:41 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:22 am
dogbite wrote:

Like!

Really like!!
YUP!

The ENTIRE thread.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:43 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:41 pm
Red Ryder wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:22 am
dogbite wrote:

Like!

Really like!!
YUP!

The ENTIRE thread.
This made me smile. Can I just say that line 39 made me think of polygamy? Sorry if that's a threadjack and not really relevant.

dogbite

Post by dogbite » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:52 pm

It's a colorful section of the poem.