2 Hour Church = 10 Hour Home Church

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Red Ryder

2 Hour Church = 10 Hour Home Church

Post by Red Ryder » Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:41 am

Everyone was so excited about 2 hour church they didn’t realize they were just handed 10 hours of home study.

Get one hour back but give up 10 more hours?

Bait and switch!

My poor wife came home with a full load of added expectations to weigh her down. Mormon mom shaming just sucks, no wonder she feels like she was run over by a steamroller.

Last edited by Red Ryder on Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

2bizE

Re: 2 Hour Church = 10 Hour Home Church

Post by 2bizE » Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:44 am

I didn’t watch conference, but only listened to about 10 minutes of Cook. I didn’t understand there would be 10 hours of home study, which likely 99 percent of TBMs wouldn’t do anyway.
~2bizE

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:51 am

2bizE wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:44 am
I didn’t watch conference, but only listened to about 10 minutes of Cook. I didn’t understand there would be 10 hours of home study, which likely 99 percent of TBMs wouldn’t do anyway.
10 hours is my estimate after listening to all the ideas and expectations from RMN.

Read BOM by end of year
Attend temple more
Etc.

I realized they just conned everyone into doing more by having 1 less hour.

2 Hour church isn’t less, it’s more!
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:59 am

I'm of course cynical to the leaders, but I think they went to two hours for a few main reasons:

1. It saves $$ - they know they don't have to pay as much to expand buildings for a church that is at the tipping point of shrinking, and they can now fit more wards in a single building

2. They're losing members in part because the weekly church demands are too high including the 3 hour block.

I don't think many members will do more than they were already doing at home. Some will, but most won't. I just think that's the way the church tries to exert authority over members so that members don't feel like this is some sort of reward, but they have to know deep down that they have just given up a prime hour every week to indoctrinate members about their false history.

Just my two cents... I am sure members will double down in those first weeks and months, but it will fade just as so many of the other commandments to do more have in the past.

nibbler

Post by nibbler » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:33 am

Is there going to be a test to see whether people did their home studies?

I'll save you time. Here's the answer key.

1) Follow the prophet.
2) Attend church each Sunday.
3) Ordinances.
4) Priesthood.
5) Follow the prophet.
6) Tithing.
7) Joseph Smith.
8) Follow the prophet.
9)The Book of Mormon.
10) Follow the prophet.
11) Follow the prophet.
12) Follow the prophet.
13) Follow the prophet.
We don’t see things as they are, we see them as we are.
– Anais Nin

Mormorrisey

Post by Mormorrisey » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:02 am

But isn't the bait and switch the entire point of the exercise? When your children go inactive, or find out that Joseph Smith married 14 year olds behind his wife's back, and you don't straighten them out, whose fault is it? "Well, we had 3 hours to smarten your brood up, and now it's your job. You must suck at home churching."

Like the carny sideshows, the game is rigged against the members, even with two hour church.
"And I don't need you...or, your homespun philosophies."
"And when you try to break my spirit, it won't work, because there's nothing left to break."

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:25 pm

Mormorrisey wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:02 am
But isn't the bait and switch the entire point of the exercise? When your children go inactive, or find out that Joseph Smith married 14 year olds behind his wife's back, and you don't straighten them out, whose fault is it? "Well, we had 3 hours to smarten your brood up, and now it's your job. You must suck at home churching."

Like the carny sideshows, the game is rigged against the members, even with two hour church.
Before 1980 we had two sessions of church each Sunday and took the sacrament twice. In older building there is a sacrament table in the Primary room to accommodate this. We also had Primary on Tuesday. Obviously the new version of accusations towards apostasy have been birthed this weekend. But this is simply more reasons that we much continue to be indifferent towards the encroaching silliness of the demands upon members made by the Mormon church.

The burden of proof is not on us. It's on the fifteen guys who literally claim to be prophets, seers, and revelators in communication with the One God of the universe. This is the semi-annual doubling down upon us and there continues to be virtually nothing that provides a compelling reason to fully commit to the meandering policies, practices, and doctrine of the LDS church.

SincereInquirer

Post by SincereInquirer » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:43 pm

When it came up with my daughter yesterday, I told her that I really enjoyed the pilot program I was on for zero hour church. She gave me the "Daaaddd..." look in response. :D

I then asked why they had to wait until January to start it if they were so excited about it. I suggested our family should just do it now...that was still met with resistance. They can't start going to less church until the Morg gives the OK. To receive the reward of 2 hour church, everyone must suffer through for another 12 Sundays of 3 hour church first... :roll:
"I don't need the Mormon church to be true, I just need it to not be verifiably false." - something I read somewhere...(help me give proper citation credit if you know where this came from)

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:10 pm

SincereInquirer wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:43 pm
When it came up with my daughter yesterday, I told her that I really enjoyed the pilot program I was on for zero hour church. She gave me the "Daaaddd..." look in response. :D
I saw some believing friends post stuff on social media to the tune of: "Prayers have been answered!" I was very tempted to reply with something along the lines of: "Were you really praying for 2-hour church? 0-hour church is two hours more awesome, why weren't you praying for that?"

I resisted poking them...
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Not Buying It

Post by Not Buying It » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:33 am

The move to 2 hour Church actually really pisses me off. Why? Because for literally decades of my life I have been spending that excruciating extra hour in Church that clearly isn’t necessary. For almost a decade that hour was spent babysitting kids in Primary. And now after decades of three hour Church someone happens to outlive all other contenders for the role of Prophet and suddenly two hours is just fine?

The past Conference weekend hasn’t demonstrated the Church is lead by revelation - it has demonstrated how capricious and arbitrary Church practice and policy is, and how dependent it is on who happens to outlive who.
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph

AdmiralHoldo

Post by AdmiralHoldo » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:46 am

Good thing I'm a woman and am incapable of presiding in my own home. Responsibility for making sure that this happens falls on my husband, even a righteous priesthood holder. (In his absence the responsibility still doesn't fall on me, it goes to my 13 year old son next.) Therefore, when we do 'church homework' with the exact same frequency that we do FHE and family scripture study (ie., never) it can't possibly be MY fault!

Reuben

Post by Reuben » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:13 am

AdmiralHoldo wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:46 am
(In his absence the responsibility still doesn't fall on me, it goes to my 13 year old son next.)
It might surprise you that President Oaks disagrees.

https://www.lds.org/general-conference/ ... h?lang=eng
When my father died, my mother presided over our family. She had no priesthood office, but as the surviving parent in her marriage she had become the governing officer in her family.
I really can't say whether you should tell your husband this...
Learn to doubt the stories you tell about yourselves and your adversaries.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:03 pm

I can't feel happy about this change, since I've been averaging 1 hour or less for the past year anyway. They could have made it a 6-hour block or a 1-hour block and it would still have had no effect on me. Now the garment rumor, that would have been different.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

slk

Post by slk » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:01 pm

I liked how a member on reddit exmo asked his TBM in-laws the question....Revelation = Less church?

Makes a lot of sense. Like could too much revelation and worshiping be harmful to us?

"We will demand less church if you spend that extra hour a week in the temple. Of course, keep paying your tithing so we don't have to give up our six figure income."