General NOMfrence Sunday Morning

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Random

Re: General NOMfrence Sunday Morning

Post by Random » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:56 am

SincereInquirer wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:52 am
For the next six months i.am going to make sure I use the word Mormon when referring to the church every chance I get.
:lol: :lol:
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK

Random

Post by Random » Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:00 am

You know, I've watched people going through anger at the church - here on the old and new NOM, and among my fellow believers (those who have listened to Denver Snuffer over the years), but I never felt that anger until this morning, watching conference. I had honestly thought I had no anger at that church, but I see that it was there all along, waiting until I could handle it boiling out. If I had a safe place to scream and yell at the top of my lungs, I would do it. And I'd bring a case of Strongbow's hard apple cider along.
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

PK

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:04 am

Random wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:00 am
You know, I've watched people going through anger at the church - here on the old and new NOM, and among my fellow believers (those who have listened to Denver Snuffer over the years), but I never felt that anger until this morning, watching conference. I had honestly thought I had no anger at that church, but I see that it was there all along, waiting until I could handle it boiling out. If I had a safe place to scream and yell at the top of my lungs, I would do it. And I'd bring a case of Strongbow's hard apple cider along.
It's good to acknowledge your anger. Sometimes I sit in my car and just scream.
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:06 am

Sunday Morning stats

Ballard +15
Cordon +45
Holland -5
Bowen 0
Anderson -30
Nelson -50

Feel free to continue adding or subtracting. :)

Cnsl1

Post by Cnsl1 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:07 am

Wow, Pres Nelson is really doubling down on this issue. Is he saying that Satan has a hold on Pres Hinckley for being pragmatic and sensible about our name? On Pres Monson for allowing the "I'm a Mormon" campaign to occur right under his nose? For Pres Benson to get up and sing "I'm a Marmin boy" in conference?

Or, is this about an old man who has had a bug up his butt for a long time? This is not the first time he's talked about this in conference. To me, he comes across as cranky and stubborn about it. I understand his argument, and I understand that he's saying this is God's will, but I'm just not feeling it.

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:08 am

Red Ryder wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:08 am
MoPag wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:03 am
Ugh! a talk within in a prayer!!

okay it was kind of a sweet prayer at the end
That was the love child of Elder Packer.

Did you notice the resemblance?
:lol: wow yep had to replay it...I see it!!

SincereInquirer

Post by SincereInquirer » Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:12 am

Random wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:00 am
I feel your pain! I don't know what it is about GC that brings out the anger so much for me. I think it is just the barrage of spin and BS that is spun as "inspired teachings to be followed". Or maybe the amount of emphasis that is put on a bunch of old men talking to an echo chamber. Or perhaps that my DW just laps it all up like it is so prophetic.

I don't know if it has gotten worse, but I have really noticed this time how they are only quoting each other, with emphasis on quoting even Rusty M Nelson. They are claiming backup and authority for what they say by quoting themselves! What a joke!

I wish I could just tune this all out, but with the family situation what it is, it is impossible. And that makes me angry.

Thanks to all for being here. The commentary helps me make it through...
"I don't need the Mormon church to be true, I just need it to not be verifiably false." - something I read somewhere...(help me give proper citation credit if you know where this came from)

w2mz

Post by w2mz » Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:14 am

The hardest thing for me about RMNs talk is that I can’t even politely say anything to my TBM wife that would hint at me questioning or not fully agreeing with the Prophet’s message.

Here’s a question: RMN basically said use of the nickname has snuck I over the years. Well, hasn’t god had a prophet that he speaks with every Thursday in the temple? Couldn’t god have nipped the nickname issue in the bud long before it became it became so offensive to him? I mean god doesn’t change right? So the first time one of his chosen few used it he should have removed them from their place. I mean yeesh, don’t piss of God, just ask Laban.

But, the prophet has spoken and his word to the entire world direct from Heaven is, “JC is offended that you are not using his name every time you say anything about the church.”

To quote the Hulk: “Puny God”
The church has engineered your eternal family into a commodity that can be purchased with an annual fee. The fact that full tithing payment is a requirement for saving ordinances is the biggest red flag imaginable. Hagoth

Random

Post by Random » Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:15 am

MoPag wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:04 am
It's good to acknowledge your anger. Sometimes I sit in my car and just scream.
Thanks. :) I think I do need to do something like that today.

PK

Random

Post by Random » Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:28 am

SincereInquirer wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:12 am
I feel your pain! I don't know what it is about GC that brings out the anger so much for me. I think it is just the barrage of spin and BS that is spun as "inspired teachings to be followed". Or maybe the amount of emphasis that is put on a bunch of old men talking to an echo chamber. Or perhaps that my DW just laps it all up like it is so prophetic.

I don't know if it has gotten worse, but I have really noticed this time how they are only quoting each other, with emphasis on quoting even Rusty M Nelson. They are claiming backup and authority for what they say by quoting themselves! What a joke!

I wish I could just tune this all out, but with the family situation what it is, it is impossible. And that makes me angry.

Thanks to all for being here. The commentary helps me make it through...
Thanks. I think it has to be the barrage of spin, and the preaching as though they were God's own holy men who see him face to face - but I know what they do. I know the policies. I know that they have told many local leaders to excommunicate people who "make them look bad." I know the ever-tightening stranglehold they have on the members. I know that some of them are unkind in person, and that nearly all have a sense of entitlement, a sense of "honor me/worship me".

I said on the old NOM that I believe JS translated the BofM, and that the book came from God. I have no problem with how much I believe and I have no problem with how much people on here don't believe. I think the thing we have in common is how despicable BY was and how despicable the current leaders are with their greed and hunger for more power and more money. It isn't enough to be one of the richest men on earth if you become prez of the corp, you've also got to have power over millions of people, to cast their souls into hell (as the peons believe) and to get them to believe anything you say, even anything you infer.

It makes me mad as hell. And it doesn't help that I have friends and relatives who believe this crap, who probably lap it up as God's own work.

I really feel for you with your immediate family, and can feel the frustration and anger. I have been blessed to not have that issue - single when I woke up sufficiently, and my kids - well, 2 of them have resigned and 1 of them doesn't consider themselves LDS and hasn't for a long time - but that doesn't make life any easier for you and others who are in a similar situation as you.)

PK

SincereInquirer

Post by SincereInquirer » Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:32 am

Cnsl1 wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:07 am
Wow, Pres Nelson is really doubling down on this issue. Is he saying that Satan has a hold on Pres Hinckley for being pragmatic and sensible about our name? On Pres Monson for allowing the "I'm a Mormon" campaign to occur right under his nose? For Pres Benson to get up and sing "I'm a Marmin boy" in conference?

Or, is this about an old man who has had a bug up his butt for a long time? This is not the first time he's talked about this in conference. To me, he comes across as cranky and stubborn about it. I understand his argument, and I understand that he's saying this is God's will, but I'm just not feeling it.
The funniest thing I saw about this issue was from r/exmormon where someone pointed out that Rusty's original talk on the name of the church was from April 1990 GC, and then in the October 1990 GC Hinckley basically came over the top and said the Mormon nickname was fine to use and to use it as a brand. Kind of a RMN smackdown.

Rusty has had to wait 28 years for all of those prior guys to die off before he could have his way. And now it is the great day of his power, so all of his pet peeves will be addressed through revelation so he gets what he wants.

He is a classic example of an out of touch academic doctor...he does what he wants without any thought of the cost or practicality of what he is prescribing as a remedy. He is literally throwing away an entire brand that has been built up for decades and the tens of millions of dollars that has been spent on doing so.

Real inspiration would have been to say, you know, it really doesn't matter if we are called Mormon and we don't need to spend money on our Mormon brand anymore. Instead, we are going to take the tens of millions of dollars we spend on advertising the Mormon brand and we are going to use that money to build clean water wells in Africa and build hospitals that provide free medical care in less fortunate countries. And the kids that go on missions to proselytize now are going to be retrained and sent to volunteer to do the work to help make it happen.

Out of touch. Those three words describe the prophets, seers, and revelators of the Mormon church.
"I don't need the Mormon church to be true, I just need it to not be verifiably false." - something I read somewhere...(help me give proper citation credit if you know where this came from)

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:38 am

So have I missed something, yet. We were told that we better hold onto our hats cause things were going to get wild this conference. We have a schedule change for Sunday meetings and a scolding for following our previous prophets on the use of our nickname. Has there been something more I missed?

SincereInquirer

Post by SincereInquirer » Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:44 am

Random wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:28 am
I really feel for you with your immediate family, and can feel the frustration and anger. I have been blessed to not have that issue - single when I woke up sufficiently, and my kids - well, 2 of them have resigned and 1 of them doesn't consider themselves LDS and hasn't for a long time - but that doesn't make life any easier for you and others who are in a similar situation as you.)
Thanks. We are all in different places and in different situations. The people.of NOM are awesome because of the support for each other regardless of where anyone is at in their journey.

The best thing about this GC so far is that my oldest is talking to me about things like the ridiculous DHO talk from last night where he is basically saying get married earlier and have more babies. I have talked with her a lot, and I do think at a minimum she has been empowered to think about what is being said and is willing to challenge it. That gives me hope.

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:12 pm

blazerb wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:38 am
So have I missed something, yet. We were told that we better hold onto our hats cause things were going to get wild this conference. We have a schedule change for Sunday meetings and a scolding for following our previous prophets on the use of our nickname. Has there been something more I missed?
I"m equally confused. Two hour church is an improvement although I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop when official church homework gets assigned. Doubling down on the name of the church is an annoying and amusing change, not a substantive change. I suppose they could drop a final bomb in the last session.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:24 pm

Sometimes it's hard to see the circle jerk when you're sitting in the middle of the circle.

The sweet irony is RMN is adamant about the name change because Jesus was pushed out of the Church name yet he can't even see that Jesus has been pushed out of the leadership in the church, the narrative of the church, and the focus of the church!

Jesus went missing long ago from Mormonism.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

SincereInquirer

Post by SincereInquirer » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:34 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:24 pm
Sometimes it's hard to see the circle jerk when you're sitting in the middle of the circle.

The sweet irony is RMN is adamant about the name change because Jesus was pushed out of the Church name yet he can't even see that Jesus has been pushed out of the leadership in the church, the narrative of the church, and the focus of the church!

Jesus went missing long ago from Mormonism.
Exactly right. Instead of bringing up Jesus, Mr. Anderson uses a story of Rusty and the loss of his daughter.

Jesus is out. The most Jesus you get in the Mormon church is being told to read the Book of he who must not be named and highlighting every time it talks about Jesus. Jesus is just a name to use your highlighter on.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:49 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:44 am
MoPag wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:40 am
You're just trying to steer everyone away from Mormon Stories Podcasts.
Mormon Stories
Mormon Discussions
Mormon Think
Mormon Expression
Mormon History
New Order Mormon
Etc.
Etc.
Etc.

Nelson just declared them poisonous tools of Satan, thus making even the mention of their names scary and taboo.
I'm a Mormon
Meet the Mormons

And how many more billions of dollars did (former) Mormons spend being poisonous tools of Stan?

Edit: Sorry, I replied before I had completely read the thread, and I've re-iterated what everyone else has said a few times...

Continuing with the edits:
w2mz wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:14 am
To quote the Hulk: “Puny God”
Perfect! I hope my tiny brain can keep that quote in it's "Quote-Bank."

blazerb wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:38 am
Well, there was DHjOaks doubling down on the bigotry and hatred toward anyone who isn't exactly like him.

Oh, yeah, that's nothing new. :(
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...