Chaos Reigns

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Hagoth

Chaos Reigns

Post by Hagoth » Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:34 pm

Are we Mormons or not? Do we love or hate gay people? These guys need to get their story straight.
MorGay.jpg
MorGay.jpg (74.54 KiB) Viewed 3487 times
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

SincereInquirer

Re: Chaos Reigns

Post by SincereInquirer » Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:45 pm

This is easy...they love the sinner, hate the sin!

Not that they are really saying that being gay is a sin, just acting on it is. Gay people just have to live alone and celibate for their entire lives until they can get an audience with Sky Dad and he can explain why he created them with that "trial". Or they can check in with DHO and see if they can try the old electro shock therapy to cure the gay out of them. Or maybe they should just suppress it all and try to enter into a good heterosexual relationship to see if that cures it.

The Mormon church and its prophets, seers, and revelators do not love gay people.
"I don't need the Mormon church to be true, I just need it to not be verifiably false." - something I read somewhere...(help me give proper citation credit if you know where this came from)

EternityIsNow

Post by EternityIsNow » Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:56 pm

I think the whole issue stems from the church leaders feeling attacked by the fact that LGBT is incompatible with the core ideas Joseph had for the afterlife. If they acknowledge LGBT are normal people with feelings and the right to pursue their happiness in this life, they have to provide a salvation concept for LGBT, they would have to be able to enter the highest heavens.

Joseph Smith would have found a way to work the LGBT community into his fantasy afterlife doctrines. For example, Joseph said children who die will be saved in the CK because they were not accountable (using the modern church vocabulary). The brethren should be able to figure this out, they really lack creativity.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:37 pm

But the site is called Mormon and gay, so it must be the work of Satan, right? I'm so confused!
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

SincereInquirer

Post by SincereInquirer » Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:21 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:37 pm
But the site is called Mormon and gay, so it must be the work of Satan, right? I'm so confused!
Yeah...I get it. Don't worry, just remember that they will get around to updating it when Sky Dad sees fit, but don't hold your breath as the gays are really the last people the prophets, seers, and revelators think about.

They will eventually update the website with all the rebranding to be:

www.membersofeventhechurchofjesuschristoflatterdaysaintsandpeoplethatstrugglewiththeafflictionofsamesexattraction.org
"I don't need the Mormon church to be true, I just need it to not be verifiably false." - something I read somewhere...(help me give proper citation credit if you know where this came from)

Reuben

Post by Reuben » Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:24 pm

EternityIsNow wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:56 pm
I think the whole issue stems from the church leaders feeling attacked by the fact that LGBT is incompatible with the core ideas Joseph had for the afterlife. If they acknowledge LGBT are normal people with feelings and the right to pursue their happiness in this life, they have to provide a salvation concept for LGBT, they would have to be able to enter the highest heavens.
The weird thing to me is that what Joseph taught is more compatible with same-sex marriage than current doctrine. Sealings weren't always husband-wife, parents-children. He taught that spirits aren't created, but have always existed, so there's no procreative purpose to biological sex in the afterlife.

All the crappy baggage in Mormon metaphysics came after Joseph died, to justify polygamy. They really wanted more wives to mean more glory. How could that work? Joseph had given them a convenient phrase: "eternal lives." So Brigham taught weird space doctrine about spirit babies being born to heavenly parents. More children means more glory (see Moses x:y). More wives means more children. Voila!

Test tube spirit babies would allow same-sex heavenly parents? Blasphemy! I'm 100% certain that God is disgusted by exactly the same things I am.
Learn to doubt the stories you tell about yourselves and your adversaries.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:59 pm

Anyone looking in from the outside who knows anything about the history of the Mormon church must think it's hysterically ironic that this particular church imagines that they have the last word telling people what a normal marriage should look like.