Ordained minister

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
2bizE

Ordained minister

Post by 2bizE » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:54 pm

I found a website where you can become an ordained minister for free. You can then officiate weddings. I have no real desire to do weddings, but thought it might be fun to be electronically ordained a minister.
Anyone else done this? Thoughts?
~2bizE

Kishkumen

Re: Ordained minister

Post by Kishkumen » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:15 am

I've done it. Long story short - I was asked to officiate a 'secular ceremony after the couple had been sealed in the temple. The brides family was not Mormon and the Groom's family was. So, to keep it fair, they got married/sealed in the temple in the early AM and no one else attended. They had a secular ceremony for everyone that afternoon.

So, I didn't actually legalize a marriage, but I got my online ordained minister certificate just in case. It was awesome.

Also, I have a TBM cousin that go his online ordained minister certification. He was threatened by his bishop with Excommunication. He was asked by his brother to officiate their wedding. What an honor! My cousin was not a bishop, etc. so he didn't have legal authority to officiate a wedding as an ordained Mormon minister. Not knowing what to and needing to get authorization from Salt Lake County to do the marriage, he got his online ordained minister certification.

Just before the wedding, his bishop found out he had the online ordained minister card and threatened him with a disciplinary court for apostasy of formally joining another church. At this point, he found out he could get a special "1 time use" permit to officiate a wedding as a regular LDS Elder. Ultimately, there was no formal church disciplinary hearings for him, but it was quite the BrewHaHa. When my cousin explained to his Bishop the circumstances, the Bishop didn't care and reported it to the SP.

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:17 am

2bizE wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:54 pm
I found a website where you can become an ordained minister for free. You can then officiate weddings. I have no real desire to do weddings, but thought it might be fun to be electronically ordained a minister.
They are legally real and I have two different friends who have done this who subsequently officiated in weddings. It usually takes an additional fee to get registered with a local government records office, but the average government is largely just interested in making sure that marriages are recorded accurately. They are happy to hand out this kind of authority in most cases.

alas

Post by alas » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:23 am

My daughter got hers because the state of Utah refuses to recognize that being a pagan priestess is an ordained minister. Rather than a legal fight about religious discrimination (which it most certainly WAS) so that she could perform marriages within the group she heads. Before that, she was doing the religious hand fasting and they had to find someone to do the legal marriage paperwork. Just last month she did the wedding for her sister. It was beautiful, to have one daughter do the ceremony for my other daughter.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:56 am

FWIW, that was the technicality they used to excommunicate John Dehlin. The fact that he was an ordained minister for non-LDS entity made him an apostate.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:21 am

Corsair wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:17 am
They are legally real and I have two different friends who have done this who subsequently officiated in weddings. It usually takes an additional fee to get registered with a local government records office, but the average government is largely just interested in making sure that marriages are recorded accurately. They are happy to hand out this kind of authority in most cases.
Yep, you can literally become an ordained minister for the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

(I could see a state like Utah not wanting to actually let an ordained Pastafarian register to perform marriages, but the Pastafarian credentials are just as real as as any other internet-ordained minister...)
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:24 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:21 am
Yep, you can literally become an ordained minister for the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.
You told me I can, so I did. As of 30 seconds ago I am an ordained minister. Anybody need counseling, blessings, exorcism, baptism in marinara, counterfeit marriage? Just let me know.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:48 pm

I want to do this, I have a bucket list item of officiating a wedding.

MalcolmVillager

Post by MalcolmVillager » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:01 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:24 pm
wtfluff wrote:
You told me I can, so I did. As of 30 seconds ago I am an ordained minister. Anybody need counseling, blessings, exorcism, baptism in marinara, counterfeit marriage? Just let me know.
Bwahahaha.

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:18 pm

I have heard of people becoming ordained ministers for Church of the Latterday Dude.

Ordination looks pretty easy. Fill out a form and they will e-mail you the certificate, and your good to go.
https://dudeism.com/ordination-form/
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:43 pm

Just This Guy wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:18 pm
I have heard of people becoming ordained ministers for Church of the Latterday Dude.

Ordination looks pretty easy. Fill out a form and they will e-mail you the certificate, and your good to go.
Excellent. Now I'm an ordained minister of two churches. I guess I have a new hobby

moksha

Post by moksha » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:03 am

wtfluff wrote:
But is that really equivalent to what you get at the Wizard Training Center in Provo, Utah? If you are super lucky you might even get your hands on the legendary Mission President's Stone found in a locked room in the basement corridors.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

DPRoberts

Post by DPRoberts » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:32 am

Hagoth wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:24 pm
wtfluff wrote:
You'll need a pirate costume to do it right.
When an honest man discovers he is mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or cease to be honest. -anon
The belief that there is only one truth, and that oneself is in possession of it, is the root of all evil in the world. -Max Born

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:56 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:43 pm
Just This Guy wrote:

Excellent. Now I'm an ordained minister of two churches. I guess I have a new hobby
When you do the process online, do you have to declare a religion or a name of what you are to be called once ordained?
~2bizE

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:57 am

2bizE wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:56 pm
Hagoth wrote:
Just This Guy wrote:

When you do the process online, do you have to declare a religion or a name of what you are to be called once ordained?
You just give them your name as you want it to appear on the certificate. FSM mails you a certificate for $25, Dudism let you print one for free with option to buy a nicer one.

Random

Post by Random » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:47 pm

2bizE wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:54 pm
Yep. I was an ordained minister while I was still LDS. I was afraid to do it because brainwashing, but I did. I've never performed weddings, baptisms/christenings, or funerals, but I have a legal certificate on my wall saying I'm an ordained minister.
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK

Random

Post by Random » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:52 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Two? I've wanted to do that, but wondered if it was legal.

Hagoth wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:57 am
You just give them your name as you want it to appear on the certificate. FSM mails you a certificate for $25, Dudism let you print one for free with option to buy a nicer one.
I have a friend who is an ordained priest in Dudism. He got the certificate so he could marry a couple of friends.
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK

crazyhamster

Post by crazyhamster » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:55 am

Hey, now I'm a Dudeist Priest, too! That was so much easier than, you know, that other kind.

Does this now make me officially (more) apostate?

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:09 am

Well, technically the church could excommunicate you for officially joining another church now. If you haven't already resigned. If you are still on the rolls, you could start waving this around and see how long until the call you in.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:17 am

Just This Guy wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:09 am
Well, technically the church could excommunicate you for officially joining another church now. If you haven't already resigned. If you are still on the rolls, you could start waving this around and see how long until the call you in.
I would LOVE to be called into a court of sweet sweet lovin' to be punished for membership in the Church of the Latter-Day Dude. For my defense I would show them The Big Lebowski and see if I could pick up any converts. If not I also have the power to call down noodles of death from heaven.