Sunday Assembly

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
DPRoberts

Sunday Assembly

Post by DPRoberts » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:29 pm

I had mentioned on Hagoth's thread on the Oasis Community that my daughter was involved in a similar group. I attended with them today and they seemed to be doing fairly well. They have a new meeting place in one the teaching auditoriums at the U (of Utah for those outside of the area). I am guessing they had around 50 people there. A little bit about them. Apparently there is a parent group that was started by two British comedians in London.
Sunday Assembly wrote:Think of it as the best parts of church, but with no religion, and with awesome pop songs.
Sunday Assembly...
• Is 100% celebration of life. We are born from nothing and go to nothing. Let’s enjoy it together.
• Has no doctrine. We have no set texts so we can make use of wisdom from all sources.
• Has no deity. We don’t do supernatural, but we also won’t tell you you’re wrong if you do.
•Is radically inclusive. Everyone is welcome, regardless of your beliefs, orientation, nationality, age, or ability – this is a place of love that is open and accepting.
• Won’t tell you how to live, but will try to help you do it as well as you can.
https://sites.google.com/view/sundayassemblyslc

DD recruited me to help with one of the "awesome pop songs" that needed a bass voice.

They have one main meeting each month while doing other activities on other Sundays. They are doing a service project with Habitat for Humanity next month. I think I will look into whether they can use the few building skills I have.

They started with a mixer, which was helpful for meeting a few people. The main speaker was a PhD clinical variant scientist who spoke on Zombie Science. They also had one couple talk about flying private airplanes. There was also the usual housekeeping and upcoming events announcements.

They were kid-friendly. They had toys and books and things at the back of the auditorium during the main meeting, then had the kids go to Funday School during while the main speaker presented. The kid activity fit in with the theme of the meeting and they came back with little crafted viruses.

Anyway, I enjoyed the more relaxed and inclusive attitudes. This is another group worth checking out and/or helping with a donation.
When an honest man discovers he is mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or cease to be honest. -anon
The belief that there is only one truth, and that oneself is in possession of it, is the root of all evil in the world. -Max Born

Hagoth

Re: Sunday Assembly

Post by Hagoth » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:11 am

Thanks for the return-and-report, DPR.

I attended Oasis yesterday. It sounds like there are a lot of similarities. They seem to average about 50 people too but I think there were more like 70 yesterday. The music is usually folksy but this time we had a rock band. They open with a couple of songs followed by a 10-minute mingle with coffee and snacks before the keynote speaker. This week's speaker was a nutritionist talking about "intuitive eating." Good stuff. They also have a kids class and a teen activity.

I'm planning to attend their burrito-making charity activity this week too.

The Oasis values are:
  • People are more important than beliefs
  • Reality is known through reason
  • Human hands solve human problems
  • Meaning comes from making a difference
  • Be accepting and be accepted
It sounds like we have two good non-religious community options in SLC. Good for us.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."