Ex-Mormon Discrimination

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Arcturus

Ex-Mormon Discrimination

Post by Arcturus » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:13 pm

Just curious, have any of you experienced employment discrimination because you are known publicly as an ex-Mormon? If so, is there much you can do to work with the problem, get around it, mitigate it, whatever..., absent going back to church?

I got wind that news of my DW and I leaving the church has leaked out and is spreading across a relatively small network of Mormons in a very specific trade/occupation. Hope it won't hurt me when/if I need to move.
“How valuable is a faith that is dependent on the maintenance of ignorance? If faith can only thrive in the absence of the knowledge of its origins, history, and competing theological concepts, then what is it we really have to hold on to?”
D Brisbin

Just This Guy

Re: Ex-Mormon Discrimination

Post by Just This Guy » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:15 pm

I have not seen it at all. However,I'm very far from the MorCor. I think people in my part of the country would be more hesitant to hire if I said I was Mormon and more likely if I said I was ex. Yeah Christian fundamentalism!

In general, if the business is an equal opportunity employer, it is actually illegal for them to bring up religion and to use it in their hiring decision. However, proving it could be difficult.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

Corsair

Re: Ex-Mormon Discrimination

Post by Corsair » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:26 pm

The only Ex-Mormon discrimination in my life comes from how I assiduously make sure that as few people as possibly know where I attend church on Sunday.