Conference is Hard

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Linked

Conference is Hard

Post by Linked » Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:29 am

I got a new job and am keeping my internet browsing down, so I haven't been able to post as much lately. But I wanted to post about conference.

Conference time is hard in a mixed faith marriage. I want to be supportive of my wife's faith journey so I try to make her feel like she is welcome to listen as much as she wants. But then I walk in a room Saturday and hear Oaks say "Gender is eternal" and can't hold in the comment that that guy really must hate gay and trans people to keep pounding that in. That got a cold stare from my wife as she plugged in her headphones.

Then on Sunday we had one session we watched as a family for our church time and Russell says the name change is not a rebranding, and it is too much for me so I argue with the tv. Then my wife leaves the room for the talk of her prophet. I want to support her, but these issues are very real to me and she can't even see them. Bleh.

Anyway. Conference is hard.
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut

jfro18

Re: Conference is Hard

Post by jfro18 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:13 am

Yeah it sucks.

My wife and I went away for the weekend with our kid, which I think was in part because she didn't have to be at church.

But she was on her phone nonstop during each block and was texting with her family nonstop during it. I'm sure she knew I was aware she was following along, so what are you going to do?

And I know her family was squealing with joy at the 2 hour church, but if I said a word about it I'd be satan himself, so I just bite my tongue.

I try to make a lot of notes about how horribly gays are treated and how wrong it is without the context of the church... that's about as good as I can bash the church these days around here.

Conference is hard... this church is hard... and no matter how clear it is to those who have left, trying to get spouses to see it is just incredibly painful for everyone.

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:40 am

I’ve found not watching it is so much easier, and I’m happier.
~2bizE

Wonderment

Post by Wonderment » Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:39 pm

Conference is hard... this church is hard... and no matter how clear it is to those who have left, trying to get spouses to see it is just incredibly painful for everyone.
It sure is ! I cringe at the toxic remarks that are made every time conference rolls around. I especially cringe at statements like "Gender is eternal." That's just a way to rationalize oppression.

And I cringe at the insistence of staying off the internet for 10 days, or whatever. That's far too intrusive and controlling.

Very difficult in a mixed-faith relationship, where the TBM believes that s/he is hearing the words of the Lord, and the other partner knows that the words are just toxic bull****, meant to control and oppress people. - Wndr.