Russell's Long Journey out of Mormonism

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Random

Re: Russell's Long Journey out of Mormonism

Post by Random » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:53 pm

Not Buying It wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:34 am
President Hinkcley and President Uchtdorf were better at giving you warm, happy feelings than Elder Bednar or Elder Oaks, but they did the same despicable things. Don't let the friendly smiles fool you - they would threaten to take away your family for eternity in a heartbeat if they thought you threatened them, and what kind of an evil person would do that?
That is very disturbing to contemplate.

No wonder "Beware the evil behind the smiling eyes," resonates with you so much.
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK

Random

Post by Random » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:55 pm

You put a slightly different spin on it than I had previously considered. Sounds nefarious, indeed.
Reuben wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:25 am
The kind that think they're charged with preserving everyone else's eternity. The kind whose identities are so entangled with an organization that a threat to it feels like a threat to their person. The kind who choose fear over faith because God hasn't seemed all that interested in helping people stay. The kind who worship an abusive god who will reject everyone who leaves and everyone who let it happen. The kind who don't realize that their god is actually Mormonism itself.

I can't bring myself to label the men themselves evil. I can say that ignorance, fear and shame have led them to do great evil in the name of God. I hope I would do better in their position, but I don't think I could have been selected.
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Fri May 17, 2019 8:41 am

This may have been expressed before, but it occurred to me that Pres. Nelson's emphasis on the sin of saying the "Mormon Church" instead of "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints" just gives TBM's one more thing to feel offended and persecuted by. Gnats and Camels. :roll:
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Fri May 17, 2019 9:17 am

deacon blues wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 8:41 am
This may have been expressed before, but it occurred to me that Pres. Nelson's emphasis on the sin of saying the "Mormon Church" instead of "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints" just gives TBM's one more thing to feel offended and persecuted by. Gnats and Camels. :roll:
Oh absolutely - the "#DezNat" crowd on Twitter loves to whine about the 'fake news' media still referring to the Mormon church as the Mormon church even though the Mormon church has clearly stated what the Mormon church would now like to be referred to as going forward.

Linked

Post by Linked » Fri May 17, 2019 1:11 pm

jfro18 wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 9:17 am
deacon blues wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 8:41 am
Oh absolutely - the "#DezNat" crowd on Twitter loves to whine about the 'fake news' media still referring to the Mormon church as the Mormon church even though the Mormon church has clearly stated what the Mormon church would now like to be referred to as going forward.
And RMN is either stupid or designed the naming scheme to be unuseable on purpose by requesting the mormon church initially be referred to by a name many don't recognize which is also very long. Then subsequently requesting the mormon church be referred to by a name that implies it is the only church, only christian church, or only correct christian church; all claims which would be disputed by billions of people.

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
the Church
Church of Jesus Christ
restored Church of Jesus Christ

mormon
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut