A good thing about Mormonism

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Jinx

A good thing about Mormonism

Post by Jinx » Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:25 pm

So I guess many of you have heard about the recent stabbings at Mountain View High School in Orem. My son attends that school so we were thrown into the middle of the situation. (He was not involved but was shaken up.) But we didn't realize how "in the middle" we were.

At first I didn't know who the perpetrator was because the press isn't printing his name because he's a juvenile. But such things get around quickly in a smallish community. He's a boy in my neighborhood, right down the street. His parents are friends of mine. His sisters used to babysit my kids. My son used to play with him. I used to teach him in Primary.

There was no sign that anything like this would happen. He was a little odd, but a lot of us are "Aspy" (Asperger's syndrome) and just chalked it up to that. He was never mean or violent in any way. He and my son got along great and played all kinds of imaginative games together. He was home schooled because his mother is a very intelligent and creative woman and likes to give her children extra chances to be intelligent and creative. She has several children and they were all home schooled until high school.

As you might guess, the ward is in shock. Numb, I suppose, would be a good word. So our bishop brought us together Monday night for a special ward prayer. He spoke a few words about love and not judging and then turned the meeting over to a loved and well-respected older member of the ward who said a ten-minute prayer. He prayed for the entire family, but especially for the boy. He prayed for us that we would know what to do and how to help. His prayer was absolutely loving and sincere. There wasn't a dry eye in the place. Even my son was crying.

This is what I love about the church, the way it pulls us all together as a community, as a family. The parents were present at the meeting and they got to hear and see firsthand that they are loved and supported, and that their son is loved and supported. We cannot possibly understand why he did what he did, nor can we understand what they are going through. Some of us with mental illness in the family feel a kind of lingering dread, a "there but for the grace of God" feeling like a shadow on our lives. But all of us are saddened, sympathetic, and loving.

I read nasty horrible comments on the news stories written by people who don't know this kid, who don't know anyone who has been through a horror of this nature, and I feel doubly sad for their ignorance and their complacency. And in this instance I was very happy to have the community that is our ward family.
“This is the best part of the week!” – Homer Simpson
“It’s the longest possible time before more church!” – Lisa Simpson

MoPag

Re: A good thing about Mormonism

Post by MoPag » Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:48 pm

((Hugs))

Wow. I can't even imagine.

It sounds like you have a really nice ward. I'm glad you have that support system. I wondered when I first heard that story if any of the people involved were LDS. (I don't know why I always do that when I heard some news story coming out of Utah.) Anyways, your ward sounds wonderful. I hope you guys can continue to heal.
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

Liberated Me

Post by Liberated Me » Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:56 pm

Such a great example of a church community coming together with compassion for all involved, thank you for sharing.
“As I walked out the door toward the gate that would lead to my freedom, I knew if I didn’t leave my bitterness and hatred behind, I’d still be in prison.” ~Nelson Mandela~
"Judging others does not define them, it defines you ...."
~Wayne Dyer~

Mormorrisey

Post by Mormorrisey » Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:11 pm

As one of the chief perpetrators of snark on this site, I just want to say thank you for the reminder of the good that can exist in Mormonism. It CAN be a wonderful community that can come together in times of crisis, and can be gracious in the face of tragedy. Thank you for reminding me in particular and also for all of us, that the people can be just truly Christlike at times. I'm grateful you shared this today.
"And I don't need you...or, your homespun philosophies."
"And when you try to break my spirit, it won't work, because there's nothing left to break."

MalcolmVillager

Post by MalcolmVillager » Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:31 pm

We have some relatives at MVHS and we used to live there. We heard lots of gossip too, but the close stories were also very touching. Crazy happenings and sad for many. The LDS community can be great in these situations.

I am actually visiting Orem for the weekend and I will be doing a baptism here this weekend.

Newme

Post by Newme » Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:59 pm

I rarely watch the news, so this was news to me. In reading about how a class - which included various faiths and non-religious - decided on their own to pray while they were in lock down. That was inspiring to me. It gives me hope that that within all of us is some core goodness - we hope the best for others.

And I appreciate a balanced view. There are times to vent - we all need it. But there are times to consider the good of Mormonism too. Thanks.

SeeNoEvil

Post by SeeNoEvil » Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:26 pm

Thank you for sharing this with us. I have wondered about this boy and his family. This is the part of Mormonism I miss.
I could always count on incredible support when I needed it and am glad their ward has been there for this family.

I wonder what the experience would be for this boy and his family had they not been LDS. When I began to doubt and then left my ward was silent. They abandoned ship and were not there to support and lift when I desperately needed it.
I missed them when I needed help moving, missed them when I was in the hospital, missed them when my grand daughter died, missed them when I just needed someone to talk to. I have missed that sense of community.
"Every event that has taken place in this universe has led you to this moment.
... The real question is, what will you do with this moment?" - Unknown

"Never arrive @ a point where you know everything - Korihor57

Vlad the Emailer

Post by Vlad the Emailer » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:53 am

Mormorrisey wrote:As one of the chief perpetrators of snark on this site, I just want to say thank you for the reminder of the good that can exist in Mormonism. It CAN be a wonderful community that can come together in times of crisis, and can be gracious in the face of tragedy. Thank you for reminding me in particular and also for all of us, that the people can be just truly Christlike at times. I'm grateful you shared this today.
Yep, same here. I'm probably one of the more negative among us, but I have to agree that the local church and the members absolutely get it right when this stuff happens. A tragedy happened in my family over the summer and the ward could not have been more supportive and at the ready to do anything that needed done. It almost causes cog dis for me as a non-believer. Almost.
When an honest man discovers he is mistaken, he will either cease being mistaken, or cease being honest. - Anonymous

Say what you want about the sweet miracle of unquestioning faith, I consider a capacity for it terrifying. - Kurt Vonnegut