A new name

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
alas

Re: A new name

Post by alas » Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:56 pm

RubinHighlander wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:32 pm
wtfluff wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:23 pm
RubinHighlander wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:28 am
Who was the douche bag at the COB in charge of making up the list? You would think, in order to make TBMs feel special, they would have stuck to the names that were the awesome scriptural characters.
Well... We are talking about the "scriptures" here. The pool of female names isn't exactly massive. :?

In fact, I'm surprised they actually found 31 female names at all.
Truth!

I'm guessing the BOM mentions even less female names than the bible and how bout that D&C and POGP?

BOM: Sariah, Isabel, Abish, Eve, Sarah, and Mary - and one had to be a prostitute! And here's the thing, Mary and Eve don't count because they are duped from the bible. That's beyond pathetic!
When I had AP English back in high school, we were discussing some male author that I hated, and the teacher said something very insightful about how ONLY a make fiction author of a “certain mentality” would have a book with so few and such flat female characters. We discussed how some men were so totally self centered that they could not begin to see the humanity in women. She used Hemingway as a second example of great stories by and about and for men’s egos. Someone at the back of the class muttered, “Joseph Smith” as a third example. That was when I first realized that the BoM was fiction written by a self centered male jerk.
Last edited by alas on Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:15 pm

alas wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:56 pm
RubinHighlander wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:32 pm
wtfluff wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:23 pm

Well... We are talking about the "scriptures" here. The pool of female names isn't exactly massive. :?

In fact, I'm surprised they actually found 31 female names at all.
Truth!

I'm guessing the BOM mentions even less female names than the bible and how bout that D&C and POGP?

BOM: Sariah, Isabel, Abish, Eve, Sarah, and Mary - and one had to be a prostitute! And here's the thing, Mary and Eve don't count because they are duped from the bible. That's beyond pathetic!
When I had AP English back in high school, we were discussing some male author that I hated, and the teacher said something very insightful about how ONLY a make fiction author of a “certain mentality” would have a book with so few and such flat female characters. We discussed how some men were so totally self centered that they could not begging to see the humanity in women. She used Hemingway as a second example of great stories by and about and for men’s egos. Someone at the back of the class muttered, “Joseph Smith” as a third example. That was when I first realized that the BoM was fiction written by a self centered male jerk.
Reminds me of the old crappy unofficial dogma as to why we hear nearly nothing about a heavenly mother: because she's too sacred and god wanted to protect her. I'll bet apologist would use that same weak argument if you hit them up about why there are so few specific mentions of women in LDS scriptures. It all boils down to male dominated tribalism yo, and it's time we evolved past that $hit! No matter your view on if god created man or vice versa, the misogynistic nature of that god across cultures and history remains the same.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

Arcturus

Post by Arcturus » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:35 pm

RubinHighlander wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:28 am

Mahonrickster
Ammo
Moredickguy
:lol: :lol: :lol:
“How valuable is a faith that is dependent on the maintenance of ignorance? If faith can only thrive in the absence of the knowledge of its origins, history, and competing theological concepts, then what is it we really have to hold on to?”
D Brisbin

Kishkumen

Post by Kishkumen » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:57 pm

Mine is Aaron or Benjamin, I'm not sure which

My.wife Lucy. I'll never forget it because when I took her through the veil I seared her new name into my brain. I didnt want to be sans wife in eternity just because I couldn't remember her name.

Even as a TBM I thought Lucy was an odd new name. I thought ' Lucy Smith, thats strange...'

IT_Veteran

Post by IT_Veteran » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:26 am

Maybe heaven is like Warren Jeff’s compound. There’s only actually 30 or so people that make it to exaltation. All of the women named Lucy are given to one guy, all the Ruth’s to another, etc.

Women don’t need to know their husband’s new name because it’s irrelevant. They’re going to be given to someone else anyway.

slavereeno

Post by slavereeno » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:41 am

Red Ryder wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:10 am
If temple names were celebrities I would be named after a Super Bowl winning quarterback and the wife would be named after a Supermodel!

Yes, we have beautiful kids!

Anyone want to guess?
David? Rebecca? Showersheba?

slavereeno

Post by slavereeno » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:45 am

I share mine with a famous friendly bullfrog.

Funny, how there is some fear with the new name still. I don't believe the endowment means Jack squat, but it stillakes me nervous to discuss it. That's some serious mind games they played on me. I guess I am a little nervous my family would discover I divulged and things would get worse.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:13 am

I just realized my eternal companion secret new name remembrance cue is totally going to make Brigham Young rollover in his shallow grave.

Looks like it's death on the spot for us.

“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Cnsl1

Post by Cnsl1 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:23 pm

That linked list was accurate on my wife's new name, but wrong on mine.

I don't remember what day I received my endowment, but my name is not in the vicinity of possible dates. Maybe I was special. Hah