A new name

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Arcturus

A new name

Post by Arcturus » Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:17 pm

The other night, I shared my "new name" with my DW and a good friend who is a gentile, but who knows a lot about Mormonism including the endowment. My DW then shared her new name with our gentile friend (I of course knew it already), and then we just talked about how odd the whole endowment is, etc.

I didn't feel an ounce of regret, shame, anguish, despair, or what have you after sharing this information. For the most part, I live a very "Mormony" lifestyle, except for coffee consumption. So for all intents and purposes, my daily walk has not significantly changed since stepping way into inactivity, so if the gift of the Holy Ghost is a real thing, real to Mormonism, overall I don't think I've offended the spirit. I'm a happy person and I'm very fortunate.

Of all things that should offend the spirit, disclosing the new name should be pretty high on that list, right? Just an interesting observation after doing some self introspection and first-person observation that nothing really happened inside. And don't feel any regret. Interesting the power that an "unhealthy organization" has in instilling fear into a committed individual, into fearing something that isn't even real and from the outside looking in, is pretty silly to say it nicely.

On another note, I've always disliked my new name. Even on the first day I got it in the temple, and whenever I thought about it throughout my TBM days. Its common usage today, which you may hear from time to time, is akin to "idiot." I actually had a sense of relief being able to vent the frustration of my new name, having kept it to myself for almost 15 years, as a TBM should, or risk mocking God.
“How valuable is a faith that is dependent on the maintenance of ignorance? If faith can only thrive in the absence of the knowledge of its origins, history, and competing theological concepts, then what is it we really have to hold on to?”
D Brisbin

wtfluff

Re: A new name

Post by wtfluff » Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:43 am

18th day of the month eh? ;)

FWIW, I think its' a cool name... :D
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:55 am

Arcturus wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:17 pm
The other night, I shared my "new name" with my DW and a good friend who is a gentile, but who knows a lot about Mormonism including the endowment. My DW then shared her new name with our gentile friend (I of course knew it already), and then we just talked about how odd the whole endowment is, etc.

I didn't feel an ounce of regret, shame, anguish, despair, or what have you after sharing this information. For the most part, I live a very "Mormony" lifestyle, except for coffee consumption. So for all intents and purposes, my daily walk has not significantly changed since stepping way into inactivity, so if the gift of the Holy Ghost is a real thing, real to Mormonism, overall I don't think I've offended the spirit. I'm a happy person and I'm very fortunate.

Of all things that should offend the spirit, disclosing the new name should be pretty high on that list, right? Just an interesting observation after doing some self introspection and first-person observation that nothing really happened inside. And don't feel any regret. Interesting the power that an "unhealthy organization" has in instilling fear into a committed individual, into fearing something that isn't even real and from the outside looking in, is pretty silly to say it nicely.

On another note, I've always disliked my new name. Even on the first day I got it in the temple, and whenever I thought about it throughout my TBM days. Its common usage today, which you may hear from time to time, is akin to "idiot." I actually had a sense of relief being able to vent the frustration of my new name, having kept it to myself for almost 15 years, as a TBM should, or risk mocking God.
Do you ever use your new name when you order coffee?
~2bizE

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:10 am

That's evidence of your mental progress out. I couldn't seem to talk about it or tell anyone mine for quite some time. Not sure why? Fear wasn't necessarily a factor but perhaps maybe I felt like some sacred cows weren't ready for the BBQ.

If temple names were celebrities I would be named after a Super Bowl winning quarterback and the wife would be named after a Supermodel!

Yes, we have beautiful kids!

Anyone want to guess?
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Arcturus

Post by Arcturus » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:41 am

wtfluff wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:43 am
18th day of the month eh? ;)

FWIW, I think its' a cool name... :D
The character is cool right? As a TBM though, I always wondered if I was less faithful or something because I shared the name of the great hunter who opposed God :lol:
“How valuable is a faith that is dependent on the maintenance of ignorance? If faith can only thrive in the absence of the knowledge of its origins, history, and competing theological concepts, then what is it we really have to hold on to?”
D Brisbin

Arcturus

Post by Arcturus » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:41 am

2bizE wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:55 am
Arcturus wrote:

Do you ever use your new name when you order coffee?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Awesome idea 2bizE. I may start doing that.
D Brisbin

Arcturus

Post by Arcturus » Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:36 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:10 am

If temple names were celebrities I would be named after a Super Bowl winning quarterback and the wife would be named after a Supermodel!

Anyone want to guess?
Oh man, you could be a few. Elijah, Andrew, Aaron, Stephen, Phillip, John, Joseph. As or your DW - no clue. I'd guess the classic female biblical names, starting with Rebecca.
D Brisbin

Arcturus

Post by Arcturus » Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:38 pm

Red Ryder wrote:

Anyone want to guess?
There's some $ to be made in creating a new-name trivia game. Could be popular amongst ex-Mo's :lol:
D Brisbin

Reuben

Post by Reuben » Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:18 pm

My first act of rebellion was registering for StayLDS under my new name. I use the same one here.

My wife doesn't want to know it. So, because she read my posts there for about a year, she knows it, but she doesn't know she knows it. She probably suspects that she knows it, but doesn't want to know for sure.

I'm sure there's a parallel with some other churchy thing, but I just can't put my finger on it...
Learn to doubt the stories you tell about yourselves and your adversaries.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:14 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
That's evidence of your mental progress out. I couldn't seem to talk about it or tell anyone mine for quite some time. Not sure why? Fear wasn't necessarily a factor but perhaps maybe I felt like some sacred cows weren't ready for the BBQ.

Anyone want to guess?
Your wife's (new)name is Abish, isn't it! No? OK then: Huldah! :mrgreen:

My wife got her (new)name from an actress. Mine? Well, I'm (new)named after a pillar of the temple in Jerusalem.

My kids are LUCKY they got their looks from their mom... :P

ETA: Figured out my daughter will get a supermodel (new)name! So lucky! :roll: Somehow I've got to figure out how to drop it in "normal conversation" before the big day... [we still need a puking smiley]
Last edited by wtfluff on Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

Stig

Post by Stig » Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:47 pm

My new name was that of a certain fellow who, when told to preach to a group of people he did not like, instead ended up going for a ride inside a large swimming mammal.

At the time, I was a little bothered about having picked up the name of such a recalcitrant and prejudiced preacher of God's word. Of course, now I realize that he was just a myth, too...like the whole damn thing. Fitting, really.
“Some say he’s wanted by the CIA and that he sleeps upside down like a Bat. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

“Some say that he lives in a tree, and that his sweat can be used to clean precious metals. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:29 pm

There is a different name for each day of the calendar. They are repeated over and over. If you forget your new name, they can look it up by the day of your endowment. So, they are not unique for each person. There is a list of names and dates floating around the inter web. You can probably google it.
~2bizE

Hermey

Post by Hermey » Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:18 pm

Moses.

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:07 pm

Hermey wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:18 pm
Moses.
You received your endowment on the last days of a month. Between days 23-29 of the month.
~2bizE

Brent

Post by Brent » Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:51 am

Reuben wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:18 pm
My first act of rebellion was registering for StayLDS under my new name. I use the same one here.

My wife doesn't want to know it. So, because she read my posts there for about a year, she knows it, but she doesn't know she knows it. She probably suspects that she knows it, but doesn't want to know for sure.

I'm sure there's a parallel with some other churchy thing, but I just can't put my finger on it...
One of the all time great sandwiches!!!

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:53 pm

Arcturus wrote:

I know exactly what you mean. I also went though on the 18th of the month and got the same one. The "Great Hunter" from the bible is defiantly not used that way today.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:28 am

I got Ammon, which I thought was pretty cool when I was TBM. Poor DW got Leah, which she never liked. Here's the Genesis description:
Now Laban had two daughters; the older was named Leah, and the younger was named Rachel. Leah had no sparkle in her eyes, but Rachel was shapely and beautiful.
Who was the douche bag at the COB in charge of making up the list? You would think, in order to make TBMs feel special, they would have stuck to the names that were the awesome scriptural characters. I mean, if it wasn't deliberate with no real thought put into it, (just dump out all the names from the scriptures, throw them in a bucket) folks would end up with names like "Jezebel", "Laban" or "Judas"! There had to be some thought put into this.

If they were more forward thinking, like we all hie to Kolob someday where we do the special handshakes, then we would have cool futuristic Kolob names, like the goofy ones TBMs in Utah make up for their kids these days:
Tazley
Oaklie
Raelyn
Koltyn
Zayla
Ridger
Finnley
Jayci
Brynnlee
Kyson
Kylee
Kylynn
Addilyn
Hadlee
Adley
Braxton
Jaxten
Mahonrickster
Ammo
Moredickguy

I just made up the last three in there.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:23 pm

RubinHighlander wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:28 am
Who was the douche bag at the COB in charge of making up the list? You would think, in order to make TBMs feel special, they would have stuck to the names that were the awesome scriptural characters.
Well... We are talking about the "scriptures" here. The pool of female names isn't exactly massive. :?

In fact, I'm surprised they actually found 31 female names at all.

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:32 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:23 pm
RubinHighlander wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:28 am
Who was the douche bag at the COB in charge of making up the list? You would think, in order to make TBMs feel special, they would have stuck to the names that were the awesome scriptural characters.
Well... We are talking about the "scriptures" here. The pool of female names isn't exactly massive. :?

In fact, I'm surprised they actually found 31 female names at all.
Truth!

I'm guessing the BOM mentions even less female names than the bible and how bout that D&C and POGP?

BOM: Sariah, Isabel, Abish, Eve, Sarah, and Mary - and one had to be a prostitute! And here's the thing, Mary and Eve don't count because they are duped from the bible. That's beyond pathetic!
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

Rob4Hope

Post by Rob4Hope » Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:48 pm

I wonder if the Danites would do some throat slitting in them there olden days if someone let their name slip?