Utah North Conference

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
w2mz

Utah North Conference

Post by w2mz » Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:10 pm

Did anyone else have to suffer through the Utah North conference today with Russ Ballard?

Russell mentioned the gospel topics essays and plugged Saints, and he said it was okay to ask questions. He also said that there were answers. He said that the church is completely transparent. (rotflmao)

He was pushing the inoculation button hard and fast. He specifically mentioned not to listen to podcasts or visit internet sites that create doubts.

It was painful, but my TBM DW took pages and pages of notes so Somehow I must have missed the good stuff.

Anyone else?

Oh, not a single mention of the shooting at the Jewish synagogue.... you’d think an Apostle of the lord would convey some sorrow or sympathy to other faiths that experience true tragedy.
The church has engineered your eternal family into a commodity that can be purchased with an annual fee. The fact that full tithing payment is a requirement for saving ordinances is the biggest red flag imaginable. Hagoth

FiveFingerMnemonic

Re: Utah North Conference

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:30 am

w2mz wrote:Did anyone else have to suffer through the Utah North conference today with Russ Ballard?

Russell mentioned the gospel topics essays and plugged Saints, and he said it was okay to ask questions. He also said that there were answers. He said that the church is completely transparent. (rotflmao)

He was pushing the inoculation button hard and fast. He specifically mentioned not to listen to podcasts or visit internet sites that create doubts.

It was painful, but my TBM DW took pages and pages of notes so Somehow I must have missed the good stuff.

Anyone else?

Oh, not a single mention of the shooting at the Jewish synagogue.... you’d think an Apostle of the lord would convey some sorrow or sympathy to other faiths that experience true tragedy.
I somehow convinced my wife that I could stay home with the younger kids because they wouldn't sit still for it anyway. Glad I missed it.

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:34 am

w2mz wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:10 pm

WOW! :(
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:08 am

A common quote from Princess Leia continues to be relevant with these kinds of apostolic visits.
George Lucas, or his very talented editor, wrote:The more you tighten your grip, Tarkin [Oaks, Ballard, Nelson, Holland, Bednar, etc], the more star systems will slip through your fingers.
There are some Reddit posts about this also. It's an emotional burden to hear messages like Ballard delivered. Most NOMS and closeted unbelievers are simply never going to get an opportunity to have a serious discussion with any believer about these topics. Ballard puts it out in the open, but he's an apostle and your eternal soul is in jeopardy if you discuss his message with any attitude short of humble obedience.

Reuben

Post by Reuben » Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:18 pm

Corsair wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:08 am
A common quote from Princess Leia continues to be relevant with these kinds of apostolic visits.
George Lucas, or his very talented editor, wrote:The more you tighten your grip, Tarkin [Oaks, Ballard, Nelson, Holland, Bednar, etc], the more star systems will slip through your fingers.
There are some Reddit posts about this also. It's an emotional burden to hear messages like Ballard delivered. Most NOMS and closeted unbelievers are simply never going to get an opportunity to have a serious discussion with any believer about these topics. Ballard puts it out in the open, but he's an apostle and your eternal soul is in jeopardy if you discuss his message with any attitude short of humble obedience.
He basically says that. Apparently, he told a parable about doubt, relating it to a fungal infection that wiped out stand of trees at BYU. (I think I have those facts straight, anyway.) He told the same one in a Europe Area conference, which I had the misfortune to attend the broadcast of soon after my faith crisis.

Nobody stands up to these bullies.
Learn to doubt the stories you tell about yourselves and your adversaries.