We pray upstairs

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Kishkumen

We pray upstairs

Post by Kishkumen » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:40 am

Firstly - I love my parents and they are good people. I have a good relationship with them.

My Bro and his family recently stayed with my parents for about 5 weeks. He is in the military and they took advantage of a base re-assignment across country to stay in Utah for a while and visit family and friends as part of the move. My bro is ExMo and SIL is NeverMo. They visited us for a couple days as part of their cross-country moving trek.

My folks have a nice house. The main floor is the standard area and the basement is basically a self-contained apartment. By bro and family have their own space downstairs.

Some of the tid-bits shared were interesting, but the most fascinating to me what my little niece. She said "Upstairs we pray at dinner but downstairs we don't have to". My niece was relating what my mom told them and how they divide customs regarding something as standard as dinner time. IF they eat upstairs with Gpa and Gma, they gotta say the meal prayer. but prayers aren't necessary in the privacy of the heathen downstairs.

I get it. Their house their rules. It's just so bizarre hearing about it.

Recently, my mom stayed with us for a few days and we didnt pray at the onset of dinner. She took a couple moments to close her eyes, clasp her hands and silently pray as we were serving the food. It's fine, it just seems so silly to me now. Apparently, 'when in Rome' is only applicable to people visiting Rome. Romans in foreign lands still follow Roman tradition.

Also, I told my dad about D&C 89:17 - regarding barley based mild drinks. He said we need to remember context of the time it was written. :lol: :lol: :lol: I asked what other possible context is a barley based mild drink of the mid 1800's?

IT_Veteran

Re: We pray upstairs

Post by IT_Veteran » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:59 am

It's funny how long ago Mormons assume that was. I have to wonder, how different were mild barley drinks - really? How different was the whiskey ol' Brigham was producing than a modern whiskey?

Kishkumen

Post by Kishkumen » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:07 am

IT_Veteran wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:59 am
... I have to wonder, how different were mild barley drinks - really? How different was the whiskey ol' Brigham was producing than a modern whiskey?
In my limited experience with a variety of traditional brews and distilled spirits, the drinks of yesteryear are not nearly as enjoyable as modern offerings.

No Tof

Post by No Tof » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:09 pm

IT_Veteran wrote:
It's funny how long ago Mormons assume that was. I have to wonder, how different were mild barley drinks - really? How different was the whiskey ol' Brigham was producing than a modern whiskey?

I wish I could find some of the whiskey that brother Brigham distilled to compare it to our modern version. ;)

As far as praying goes in our house, when mom is there we always pray over the food, but when it is just dad and kids, it is Bon Appetite and eat.
Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and right doing, there is a field. I'll meet you there.
Rumi

Ho Lee Turtle

Post by Ho Lee Turtle » Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:17 pm

No Tof wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:09 pm
IT_Veteran wrote:

I wish I could find some of the whiskey that brother Brigham distilled to compare it to our modern version. ;)

For what it’s worth, I once saw a product that just might help you compare. Some time ago, I was researching the history of alcohol in Utah and found a website where a distillery in Park City makes a replica version of Brigham’s whiskey. The brew is called Valley Tan (just like Brigham’s was) and is made from wheat grown in Utah using similar historic methods as the pioneers did from about 1850 to 1870. You can find their details on the website here: https://www.highwest.com/products/valley-tan.php

If you try it, let us know how it compares.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:30 am

Ho Lee Turtle wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:17 pm
No Tof wrote:
IT_Veteran wrote:
For what it’s worth, I once saw a product that just might help you compare. Some time ago, I was researching the history of alcohol in Utah and found a website where a distillery in Park City makes a replica version of Brigham’s whiskey. The brew is called Valley Tan (just like Brigham’s was) and is made from wheat grown in Utah using similar historic methods as the pioneers did from about 1850 to 1870. You can find their details on the website here: https://www.highwest.com/products/valley-tan.php

Another FWIW: High West doesn't make "Valley Tan" all the time. It's made in limited batches, and is not currently available.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

No Tof

Post by No Tof » Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:52 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:30 am
Ho Lee Turtle wrote:
No Tof wrote:

Another FWIW: High West doesn't make "Valley Tan" all the time. It's made in limited batches, and is not currently available.
Rats. I was hoping to taste it on November 14th.
Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and right doing, there is a field. I'll meet you there.
Rumi

IT_Veteran

Post by IT_Veteran » Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:49 pm

No Tof wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:52 pm
wtfluff wrote:
Ho Lee Turtle wrote:

I was hoping to order some way out in California, but they don't show it available anywhere. They have plenty of others out here, including at the local Bevmo, but not this particular one.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:36 am

IT_Veteran wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:49 pm
No Tof wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:52 pm
wtfluff wrote:
I was hoping to order some way out in California, but they don't show it available anywhere. They have plenty of others out here, including at the local Bevmo, but not this particular one.
If I understand correctly, even when High West made Valley Tan, it was not in very large batches. It was quite expensive and not highly available. I don't know if they'll be making any more. (I guess you could contact them and ask.)

According to the "Info" page about Valley Tan, "Valley Tan" means: Homemade. Maybe you folks should make your own Valley Tan? It's made up of wheat and oat whiskey, so get yourself some Bernheim Original Wheat Whiskey, and some High West Silver Western Oat Whiskey and "Make your own" Valley Tan.

(For you whisk(e)y geeks: High West's Valley Tan most likely had MGP products in the blend, and it's quite likely that it was entirely made up of MGP products. Making your own "Valley Tan" blend really wouldn't be that much different than what High West did... :D )

Edit: Wow... I just realized what a turn this thread has taken from it's original "title." Oh well. Kish-Kori started it with his mild barley reference, eh?
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

moksha

Post by moksha » Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:47 am

Given that Valley Tan was made with wheat and oats, could we assume that barley and corn were in short supply for the early Utah Mormons? Malted whiskeys are made with barley and Kentucky whiskeys are made with corn. I would imagine the early Utah Mormons also tried making a distilled drink from sugar beets grown by the LDS company Utah-Idaho Sugar.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha