Coffee

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
didyoumythme

Coffee

Post by didyoumythme » Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:33 am

I enjoy a good cup of coffee, and prefer it black or with a little cream. Since I didn’t drink coffee for the first 30 years of my life, I don’t NEED it for the caffeine boost, but I am learning to enjoy decent coffee.

How do you heathens like your coffee? Or if you don’t, why not?

To make coffee at home, should I go for an aero press or pour over?
When an honest man discovers he is mistaken, he will either cease being honest, or cease being mistaken. - Anonymous

alas

Re: Coffee

Post by alas » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:01 am

It kind of depends on what you are going for. I have not tried a press, but I understand that the pour over or cold brew methods make for less bitterness. But then some people like or don’t mind the bitterness, so like I said, your method is going to depend on your taste.

I use coffee to medicate my ADD, and I hate the taste. So, my reasons for drinking coffee are very different than yours. I wanted something safer than the drugs they gave my daughter for her ADD. So, I take my coffee like medicine, because it kinda is. I think normal coffee tastes bitter and burned and smells like someone made refried beans and left the kitchen for six hours. So, I minimize the bitter taste as much as possible by using 100% Kona, and I minimize the burned flavor by not getting the dark or French roast. I get medium roast.

So, general rules.

1. Pour over is less bitter, but also less bold. Easy, quick, most popular as most coffee makers use it. Good all purpose method.

2. Press gets the most out of your beans. If you like a good strong espresso, go with this.

3. Cold brew is even less bitter than pour over, but takes the most time. You can buy the infusers at Bed, Bath, and Beyond. Also, doesn’t stink up the house if you have TBMs who don’t like the smell.

4. For the BEST no bitter coffee, go with 100% Kona. 100% Kona is hard to come by if you are not military (military commissaries stock it) or live in Hawaii. They do NOT export anything that is more than a 15% blend, which is not enough to dull the bitter taste. So, your “Kona” in the grocery store is 15%. You can order it online if you want to pay an arm and a leg. If you have a friend with commissary privileges, beg for some for Christmas. I can drink this black, where I gag on your Starbucks garbage. My daughter went to Hawaii and came back with a two year supply.

5. To get away from the burned taste, get medium or light roast. Many of your gourmet coffees or flavored coffees already come in medium, or only come in medium. Your cheaper coffee (Folgers) is dark or French roast, and probably lower quality beans.

6. Any kind of fat or oil helps kill the bitterness, so use creamer or even whole milk.

7. Added sugar helps with the bitterness, and also adds to the “high” that makes drinking caffeine fun.

Spicy McHaggis

Post by Spicy McHaggis » Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:48 pm

I've just been drinking coffee the last few years but I'm really enjoying it.

Some coffee is too bitter for me while some is delicious. I really like an Americano which is a watered down espresso.

My favorite is iced coffee and SToK a cold brew that is very good, not bitter at all.

https://www.stokbrew.com/cold-brew/

didyoumythme

Post by didyoumythme » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:36 pm

Yeah, I have been learning a lot about coffee brewing methods this past year. Now that it’s no longer forbidden I am intrigued for some reason. I don’t care about cheap coffees (gas station is never worth it), but I like good cafe coffee. Chik fil a has great iced coffee surprisingly as well.

I will probably get gear for pour over coffee. Not drip, I mean hand pour over fresh ground coffee. Either that or aeropress seem like great ways to make a fresh single cup of coffee.

Is it bad that I drink it to be rebellious? I’m not sure why, but I almost want to develop a coffee habit just to stick it to the Mormons. I do it for me though so it’s ok.
When an honest man discovers he is mistaken, he will either cease being honest, or cease being mistaken. - Anonymous

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:44 pm

You really can't go wrong with grinding the beans yourself, and either an Aeropress or pour-over.

More work, but definitely better than just pushing a button. (I'm an Aeropress person myself.)

And the studies that say that magic bean brew protects against Alzheimer's and dementia? I've got at least 20 years of non-coffee drinking to make up for. (Nasty degenerative brain diseases run in my family. :( )
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

didyoumythme

Post by didyoumythme » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:46 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:44 pm
You really can't go wrong with grinding the beans yourself, and either an Aeropress or pour-over.

More work, but definitely better than just pushing a button. (I'm an Aeropress person myself.)
Does the aeropress coffee taste more like an espresso/americano? Or is it still closer to a drip taste?

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:51 pm

didyoumythme wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:46 pm
wtfluff wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:44 pm

Does the aeropress coffee taste more like an espresso/americano? Or is it still closer to a drip taste?
You can make it either way. More grounds/less water to attempt to make it like espresso, or the opposite to make it closer to drip. Either way, for some reason Aeropress brew ends up smoother than either espresso, or drip. I guess actually "forcing" (pressing) the brew through the filter changes it in this way. The stronger version is not really espresso, as it's not actually produced using steam like espresso, but it's the closest thing you can get to espresso without an actual espresso machine.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

moksha

Post by moksha » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:17 pm

alas wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:01 am
My daughter went to Hawaii and came back with a two year supply.
Did the airlines complain at all about bringing a 500 lb bag on board?
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Reuben

Post by Reuben » Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:13 am

didyoumythme wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:36 pm
Is it bad that I drink it to be rebellious? I’m not sure why, but I almost want to develop a coffee habit just to stick it to the Mormons. I do it for me though so it’s ok.
It's easier to be hurt by a group if you identify as being part of it. In this case, drinking coffee is an easy way to prove to yourself that you're not.

Anyway, regarding the coffee itself, the thing I care about most is that it has chocolate in it. If it does, I like it to have a darker roast.
Learn to doubt the stories you tell about yourselves and your adversaries.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:29 am

Fresh ground and French press for me. I like it sweetened and with a little milk or creamer. The more bitter the blend, the more sweetener. Gotta hit that perfect "sweet" spot and then it's pure bliss, especially on cold days.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Dravin

Post by Dravin » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:39 am

I prefer my coffee black, I started on flavored coffees but I've moved away from those. I just have a cheap Mr. Coffee (but I let the water preheat to help get the water up to temp) with pre-ground beans. I have plans to get a Baratza Encore (probably for Christmas) and either move to a French Press or get a Bonavita Immersion Dripper. There is a part of me that wants to get a SCA (Specialty Coffee Association) certified automatic drip maker because I quite enjoy being able to get the pot started before my shower and have it ready for me with no intervention when I get out of the shower. That'll have to wait until after the grinder though as they tend to be expensive and I can get either the Bonavita Immersion Dripper or a French Press for cheapish for immediately after the grinder and then save up for an SCA certified automatic drip machine if the routine of the more manual methods get to me.
Hindsight is all well and good... until you trip.

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:40 am

I use a french press to make cold brew. May not be the traditional way, but it works well. I like cold brew in the summer. as the weather is getting colder, I use more drip style.

During the week, I use a Cusinart Grind & Brew coffee maker. It's a bit more complicated to setup than a normal drip system, but if you like fresh ground coffee, that's the way to go. I usually take cream and a bit of sugar. I have been decreasing my sugar addition over the last few years. It does help the waist line.

On weekend, I'll fire up the espresso machine. DW and I enjoy a nice home-made latte on Sunday mornings. I'm defiantly not a pro barista, but I'm slowly getting better. DW is fine with helping my education along.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

Dravin

Post by Dravin » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:00 am

Just This Guy wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:40 am
I use a french press to make cold brew. May not be the traditional way, but it works well. I like cold brew in the summer. as the weather is getting colder, I use more drip style.
My preferred way to make cold brew is a Coffee Sock. I do prefer cold brew in warmer weather and hot brew in colder weather.

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:36 pm

For us we started with a Kcup then moved to a Mr. Coffee. The best flavors and least bitter seem to be in the more expensive beans. We have a little grinder and also a little milk frother. We buy whole milk. DW prefers one packet of Truvia, I put one cub of regular sugar in there with the frothed milk. At work I just throw in a little of the Nestle french vanilla creamer. I really like walking from our office to some of the little coffee shops around SLC, like People's Coffee, who also has some of their own beans for sale and I've really enjoyed them. I drink one cup in the morning, don't need it for the caffeine. It's worth spending the extra on good beans.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

No Tof

Post by No Tof » Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:06 pm

Oh brothers and sisters. I never thought I'd become evangelical again but coffee...... ah that is something to share.

Sounds like everyone has gained some experience with the different tastes and methods. My journey of discovery has taken me from Tim Hortons and McDonalds to nice espresso shops to buying a few different types of extraction equipment. Heres what I have learned. (It is probably a lifelong education for nerds like me)

First of all, there is good coffee out there and lots of not so nice stuff.
Secondly, you don't have to know how to make good coffee to enjoy it but having a bit of understanding helps to know why it isn't as good as the last cup.

Oxidation is the enemy to most things. Thankfully coffee has an abundance of antioxidants to help our cells stay healthy longer. That being said, coffee beans oxidize more quickly when they are ground. Hence the idea of freshly ground beans which have been roasted not too long ago makes for better coffee.

Which ever method you use, it is helpful to understand that when you brew coffee, you are doing your "darnedest " to extract the best flavour and not the others. The hot water dissolves the flavours from the beans and the process is a bit more complicated then I first thought. You want to get the most flavour notes without the bitter parts that come out later.

In my experience, really bitter coffee is a product of over extraction, if you do everything else right. If you under extract you have a slightly sour taste.

Extraction depends on a few variables. Grind size..... if the particles are small, the water will dissolve out the coffee quickly, so if you leave it too long, it will tend to be bitter. Tricky cause it leaves a small window to get it extracted to the best point. Eg. Aeropress uses typically a fairly fine grind but a quick timing.
A French press or a deluxe esspro press does better with coarser grinds and a longer time. Water temp, being exact in your measurements, and understanding which temps affect which beans and roast types also are factors to try out. ( See why espresso shops do so well?)

Pour over systems require real determination and practice to become good at. My barista son told me I was crazy to buy the gear for my one or two cup habit. He says if you are doing it for a living and making lots of cups per day it is a nice way to dial in that perfect cup.

I have to admit, it is more finicky but I find the process a bit zen like and for the most part, I can get complements for my efforts. Plus for us nerds it is magical, in a primitive way.

All in all, coffee is that thing that you may love or hate, but when it's all said and done, is a fine way to socialize with good people.

In the name of Jesus (my coffee growing friend in Chiapas) amen.
Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and right doing, there is a field. I'll meet you there.
Rumi

Dravin

Post by Dravin » Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:11 pm

No Tof wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:06 pm
In my experience, really bitter coffee is a product of over extraction, if you do everything else right. If you under extract you have a slightly sour taste.
That's my understanding. A handy guide to troubleshooting your coffee is this.

The Beast

Post by The Beast » Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:56 pm

Ninja in the morning; cold brew in the afternoon. No sugar, but a little frothed International Delight Almond Joy creamer turns regular coffee into Nirvana.
Last edited by The Beast on Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Are you on the square? Are you on the level?

moksha

Post by moksha » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:20 pm

Dravin wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:00 am
My preferred way to make cold brew is a Coffee Sock.
I had to look up coffee socks.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Kishkumen

Post by Kishkumen » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:41 am

Morning Routine-
Grind some whole beans and brew a nice hot cup of coffee in my Yeti tumbler. Sip on my drive to work and while at work.
As cheesy as it sounds, we really like Starbucks whole beans, just the 1lb bags at the grocery store. Also, we buy a 1lb of freshly roasted whole beans from our local coffee shop.

No sugar. I add a little creamer or whole milk.

Afternoon
Sometimes I get a refill of cold brew from the nearby Circle K. Ice and couple creamer pods.

Sometimes just holding a cup of joe up to my nose and breathing in the aroma is soooo calming

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:00 am

I'll take my coffee black and unsweetened. Just like my soul.