Wheat & Tares Series on Middle Way Mormonism

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
orangganjil

Wheat & Tares Series on Middle Way Mormonism

Post by orangganjil » Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:24 pm

The blog Wheat and Tares is running a series of posts discussing the feasibility of middle way Mormonism. Figured it might be interesting to everyone here.

https://wheatandtares.org/2018/11/02/th ... -traveled/
https://wheatandtares.org/2018/11/02/mi ... mormonism/
https://wheatandtares.org/2018/11/03/ou ... mormonism/
https://wheatandtares.org/2018/11/03/co ... iddle-way/

Ghost

Re: Wheat & Tares Series on Middle Way Mormonism

Post by Ghost » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:32 am

I find it interesting how much variety there is in motivation and perspective among those in the "middle way." I suppose there's just as much variety between believers, but perhaps it's not as noticeable there.

Although I find myself firmly in the middle-way camp, I rarely see a take that I can relate to. For example, they kind of lose me in these articles as soon as they start using the word "spirituality." That word has a wide range of meanings, of course, some of which probably apply to me. But I've developed something of an aversion to it.

It's always nice to see this type of approach discussed, so that people know that it's an option. Though many believers and nonbelievers would probably say that people are better off not considering it as an option. Or at least getting past it as quickly as possible.

Mormorrisey

Post by Mormorrisey » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:51 am

I've been out of the bloggernacle loop for so long I haven't checked in with W&T for a while. Thanks for highlighting this!

I too am struck in reading this by how much these are all individual journeys for middle-way Mormons; and you're correct, Ghost, and I agree that it's a similar journey for TBM's, exmos and NOMs alike. I also agree that for most, the middle way is at best a stepping stone to other things - I've lived this way for several years now, and it's only getting harder. In fact, I don't even consider myself middle-way anymore. I've made my choice, and I'm sticking with it for a variety of other reasons, other than "belief." It's a strange way to live, there is no doubt about that, and very hard. I can't remember who said it, but one of the posters talks about getting hit from all sides - you're not a "believer" enough for the TBM's, and you don't want to burn it down like the radical exmo crowd, even if you recognize the challenges. Personally, I think it takes a strong personality, one who truly doesn't care what other people think, to pull it off. But I'm such an introvert that being isolated and shunned is actually kind of a blessing, so it doesn't work for everybody.

What a great little series, and always good to hear others' experiences with trying a middle way.
"And I don't need you...or, your homespun philosophies."
"And when you try to break my spirit, it won't work, because there's nothing left to break."

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:25 am

I'm no longer a middle way Mormon. Not sure if I really ever truly was. Looking back I now consider myself on a long slow journey out of the church but kept pulled in to the orbit of Mormonism by family.

This probably best represents by current philosophy.

My belief is outside of the Mormon belief circle as represented by point A. I interact with family and friends as represented by points B, C, D, and E. I prefer to stay on the outside edge of Mormonism looking in and laughing at but sometimes I have to walk through directly as represented by line BD or CE.

For me the middle way doesn't exist and just creates a lot of anxiety.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:10 pm

I have spent far too much time worrying about Middle-Way Mormonism over the past decade. The one common thread I continually see is that the mainstream, institutional LDS church really does not engage in this conversation. I certainly appreciate(?) some thoughtful people like Patrick Mason, Richard Bushman, and Tyrell and Fiona Givens. Uchtdorf's 2013 talk "Come Join With Us" was kind of nice, although unfulfilling.

But local bishops and stake presidents remain largely disengaged and often hostile to this conversation. I wil openly admit to you fine folks that I openly lie to my local leaders to retain my temple recommend. I almost don't care if I get caught and I know that my dear and believing wife is bothered with my ongoing abuse of the truth. She does appreciate that I don't try to upset the beliefs and testimony of everyone around me. But we all know that a hostile response from a local leader can result in profound social costs if your temple recommend is lost due to your honest appraisal of LDS truth claims and practices. It's not worth the family and social fallout for me. You can't participate in temple events but you are still welcome to clean the church.

I only grudgingly accept "Middle Way Mormonism" as a description of my church activity. I'm simply showing up at the same building as my family each weekend lazily wondering if this will finally be the weekend that the hammer falls on my church activity. In the meantime I pursue my own goals with general detachment from whatever the church might want.

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:27 pm

Another post responding to those posts: https://bycommonconsent.com/2018/11/06/ ... mormonism/

Author: We're all middle-way Mormons.
Commenters: No, we aren't.

If you equate "middle-way" with "cafeteria" then I'd agree with that statement. And, of course, you argue that everything is on the same spectrum of belief and activity.

Good thing we have our less ambiguous term "New Order Mormon," strange as it sounds the first time you hear it. I spent my first few years in the NOM forums telling myself that the term didn't apply to me. And it probably didn't, at the time. But I eventually found that the label (and forums) fit me better than any other I'd come across.

In real life, though, I just stick to the word "heterodox" on the very, very rare occasion that I get a chance to discuss such things.