Behold! The Fruits of E Oaks' Oct 2018 Talk Begin to Ripen!

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
achilles

Behold! The Fruits of E Oaks' Oct 2018 Talk Begin to Ripen!

Post by achilles » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:19 pm

Today I came on this Letter to the Editor in the Herald Journal, the major newspaper of Cache Valley where I grew up. It was so...well, you'll see...that I had to reproduce it here in its entirety.

https://www.hjnews.com/opinion/letters_ ... 5fb8f.html
To the editor:

Homosexuality is not natural. All living things demonstrate that male and female perpetuate the species. No scientific research has found any homosexual genes that lead to particular sexual practices, asserting “a-homosexual-is-always-a-homosexual” excuse for homosexuals. Sexual perversions are learned behavior through combinations of experimentation and instruction.

Consequently, homosexual orientation emerges in developmental stages associated with all manner of “coming-out-gender-identities” presented as a civil rights platform. The homosexual movement uses propaganda “in-your-face” assaults to spread its deceptive ideology and further its agenda on a massive, societal scale. They saturate churches, schools, communities, businesses, homes, and the media, trumping truth, morality, and facts. They desire acceptance of a practice that destroys the natural family and ruins lives, fraying apart the moral fabric of society. Machiavellian in nature, sugarcoated catch-phrases such as “friends accept friends for who they are” are employed by homosexual drama kings/queens to deliberately beguile us into adopting a homosexual lifestyle as acceptable. Blind acceptance of homosexuality to radically transform American society is their goal.

Propaganda is an art and a science: “... it’s always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it’s a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders” (Herman Goehring at Nuremberg trials). Mind warfare designed to program us to “normalize” homosexual practices can be recognized in numerous ways, such as “Bandwagon” and “Name-Cal|ing” techniques, among others that cloud our judgment and emotions. A negative label such as “homophobic” is a classic example of using pejorative names and loaded words to arouse emotion. Thus, homosexuals sow fear, confusion, and prejudice to achieve their ends. We begin to lose all sense of rationality when our emotions are manipulated by propagandists exploiting us to their advantage. Tactics include: how to divide and conquer, pit small groups against each other, pander to the masses (‘dumb it down’), make grandiose and loud statements — the bigger the lie, the more people will believe it.

“The Overhauling Straight America” by Marshall Kirk and Hunter Madsen guides the homosexual campaign to sweeping social engineering changes, using techniques originated in communist China. The meat of the blueprint for applying sophisticated psychological strategies includes desensitization. jamming, and conversion.

By interweaving the fraying threads together to restore the moral fabric of our nation, we can thwart their runaway radical transformation of our American way of life and culture, protecting future generations from destructive forces of the homosexual movement. We should always be steadfast and vigilant, resisting “Manchurian Candidate” propagandistic tools that bombard us and reveal a sinister attempt to convert the psyche of the American people in a covert takeover of America.

Sara Kitchen
I left her name because she deserves credit for her missive into the darkness of the "decaying moral fabric" brought upon by people who just want to have companionship and family (like I imagine Sara also does for herself...)

♫Sara! Sara! Storms are brewing in your eyes...♫
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.”

― Carl Sagan

IT_Veteran

Re: Behold! The Fruits of E Oaks' Oct 2018 Talk Begin to Ripen!

Post by IT_Veteran » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:46 pm

I don't say this often in this particular venue because I know I'm in polite company, but that lady can fuck right off.

I hope to be one of the elements of society (not LGBTQ+ myself, but they need support from all kinds of people) that tears down and destroys those awful elements of the culture. I truly wish I could look her in the eye and tell her how insane that all sounds. My wife didn't choose to be bisexual. She's been attracted to men and women her entire life - it was only my apostasy that made our home a safe space for her.

IT_Veteran

Post by IT_Veteran » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:49 pm

Credit where it's due though, the paper seems to be letting her spew this bullshit solely to point out the idiocy of it, judging by the editor's note:
Editor’s note: Many readers will find the following letter to the editor offensive. The Herald Journal is publishing it in the interest of fostering community dialogue. We believe publishing the letter in our print and online forums is in keeping with a tenant in the Society of Professional Journalists’ Code of Ethics, which states “Journalists should support the open and civil exchange of views, even views they find repugnant.” We welcome a robust reader response to the opinions expressed in this letter.

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:59 pm

I read a quote once that was something to the effect of "The good news is that when you wake up tomorrow, there will be less bigots alive than there were today."

Reading nonsense like this makes me cherish that idea all the more. And the idea that studies aren't showing that there are genetic differences with gay people is beyond insane - study after study are showing that it's not a choice but how people are born.

This is what you have to believe to make this church work, which tells you all you need to know about the truth of this abomination of a religion.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:44 pm

I had to google to see what this crazy homophobic lady looked like and came across this. I wonder if the paper will have to post another clarification. I tried to find her "Nothing Sweet about Chocolate Festival" letter but didn't have any luck because I quickly lost interest and got sidetracked by dark chocolate pudding recipes.
Clarification: Don't confuse letter writer Sara Kitchen with Logan resident who has similar name.
Mar 21, 2012

The author of a March 11 letter to the editor, “Nothing Sweet about Chocolate Festival,” was Sara Kitchen of Logan. She should not be confused with another Logan resident with a similar name, Sara Kitchens.
Seems she has a habit if writing controversial letters to the editor.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Mormorrisey

Post by Mormorrisey » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:47 pm

That was...unbelievable. Here's what kills me.

In her epic rant, this "sister" calls LGBTQ persons all sorts of horrible epithets, and I quote directly from her piece, and it's quite a list: they are unnatural, perverted, immoral, deceptive, destroying families and ruining lives, drama kings/queens, as well as sowing fear, confusion and prejudice.

And then this precious snowflake is flabbergasted that people have the audacity to call her a "homophobe." Absolutely astounding, the cognitive dissonance.

That was one of the more painful pieces of nonsense I've read in a while. Sorry you had to read that, achilles.
"And I don't need you...or, your homespun philosophies."
"And when you try to break my spirit, it won't work, because there's nothing left to break."

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:57 pm

This lady is nuts!
And the paper has published about 5 or 6 of her rants.

Here's her letter to the editor regarding birth control, abortion, and other concerns.

https://www.hjnews.com/allaccess/birth- ... ecab8.html

Here's her Chocolate festival rant.

https://www.hjnews.com/opinion/nothing- ... 3ce6c.html

It gets even crazier..

Locals to feast on aborted babies.

https://www.hjnews.com/opinion/article_ ... 963f4.html

Constitution under attack:
https://www.hjnews.com/allaccess/consti ... f887a.html
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Evil_Bert

Post by Evil_Bert » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:00 pm

That lady is bat-shit crazy. The funny thing is that the banner ads on the letters was for the USU diversity awards.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:23 pm

I for one welcome our new homosexual overlords. I offer my assistance in helping them round up my fellow heterosexuals for imprisonment in their reeducation gulags.

Maybe once that is accomplished people like Sara can begin to relax and accept that those strange and scary feelings they have been suppressing for so many decades aren't as dangerous as they feared.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

stealthbishop

Post by stealthbishop » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:22 am

I think the paper who publishes this crazy talk is really to blame for giving an extremist a platform. She quotes Nazis in her argument when Nazis put LGBTQ people in concentration camps! Pink triangle. Why on earth would a local newspaper in 2018 give voice to such insanity? My landlord in my office building believes that the government secretly creates all the hurricanes. I can't imagine my local paper giving him a platform.
"Take second best
Put me to the test
Things on your chest
You need to confess"

-Depeche Mode

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:24 am

Red Ryder wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:57 pm
This lady is nuts!
And the paper has published about 5 or 6 of her rants.

Here's her letter to the editor regarding birth control, abortion, and other concerns.

https://www.hjnews.com/allaccess/birth- ... ecab8.html

Here's her Chocolate festival rant.

https://www.hjnews.com/opinion/nothing- ... 3ce6c.html

It gets even crazier..

Locals to feast on aborted babies.

https://www.hjnews.com/opinion/article_ ... 963f4.html

Constitution under attack:
https://www.hjnews.com/allaccess/consti ... f887a.html
Holy Sh!t Snacks!!!!! She is scary crazy!! :shock:
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

IT_Veteran

Post by IT_Veteran » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:07 am

stealthbishop wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:22 am
I think the paper who publishes this crazy talk is really to blame for giving an extremist a platform. She quotes Nazis in her argument when Nazis put LGBTQ people in concentration camps! Pink triangle. Why on earth would a local newspaper in 2018 give voice to such insanity? My landlord in my office building believes that the government secretly creates all the hurricanes. I can't imagine my local paper giving him a platform.
Personally, based on the editor's note, I think they're trying to show just how batshit crazy the extreme right has become. It was clear from the editor's note that they found it abhorrent. I've even wondered if they wanted to publish such an extreme point of view because they were pretty confident that the comment section would go crazy with it. LGBTQ+ people already know this kind of belief exists - maybe the comment section is the actual redeeming value of it.

I don't know.

Arcturus

Post by Arcturus » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:16 am

stealthbishop wrote:
I think the paper who publishes this crazy talk is really to blame for giving an extremist a platform. She quotes Nazis in her argument when Nazis put LGBTQ people in concentration camps! Pink triangle. Why on earth would a local newspaper in 2018 give voice to such insanity?
Seriously, my thoughts exactly.
stealthbishop wrote:
My landlord in my office building believes that the government secretly creates all the hurricanes. I can't imagine my local paper giving him a platform.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
“How valuable is a faith that is dependent on the maintenance of ignorance? If faith can only thrive in the absence of the knowledge of its origins, history, and competing theological concepts, then what is it we really have to hold on to?”
D Brisbin

alas

Post by alas » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:29 am

IT_Veteran wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:07 am
stealthbishop wrote:
Personally, based on the editor's note, I think they're trying to show just how batshit crazy the extreme right has become. It was clear from the editor's note that they found it abhorrent. I've even wondered if they wanted to publish such an extreme point of view because they were pretty confident that the comment section would go crazy with it. LGBTQ+ people already know this kind of belief exists - maybe the comment section is the actual redeeming value of it.

I don't know.
If I can contain my nausea while I write that newspapers have a responsibility to provide a platform for even the nutcases. It is called the First Ammendment. Once they open up a “letters to the editor” section the first amendment says they have to treat all writers equally. All writers are treated equally, but the editor CAN say, this letter is offensive when he/she prints it. It is part of what makes this country great, we allow the certifiably crazy to blab their garbage and call it freedom of speech. It is the same for me as it is for this homophobe. So, I celebrate my first amendment rights to say this lady is as bad as my sister in law who I finally had to unfollow because she is batshit crazy.

She sites just enough science to say it is not carried on the chromosomes. Well, that isn’t the only way something can be inborn. Lots and lots of things are not carried on the chromosomes, but they are still hardwired into our brains. Oh, and we can’t even find where other things we know are hereditary are on chromosomes, such as the instincts that make mothers and fathers love their babies. Partly instinctive, partly hormonal. But how we respond to the hormones is hard wired. Who we are attracted to also seems to be hardwired.

My daughter is bi, but leans strongly lesbian. She divorced the man because of problems that are much smaller than what she deals with in her wife. She just didn’t love her husband enough to get through any difficulties. And what is odd, is that I wondered if she was more attracted to women than men because of the type of man she dated. They were very effeminate.

If it is learned, then she should have learned to be straight by being married straight. But she didn’t. All she learned was that she can’t love a man any deeper than friendship, but she can love a woman deeply and fully.

This woman needs to get off the Faux news and get a real education in the science behind all LGBTQ issues.

I hope the newspaper is snowed in by letters saying how wrong this homophobe is.

IT_Veteran

Post by IT_Veteran » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:32 am

alas wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:29 am
IT_Veteran wrote:
stealthbishop wrote:

I don't know.
If I can contain my nausea while I write that newspapers have a responsibility to provide a platform for even the nutcases. It is called the First Ammendment. Once they open up a “letters to the editor” section the first amendment says they have to treat all writers equally. All writers are treated equally, but the editor CAN say, this letter is offensive when he/she prints it. It is part of what makes this country great, we allow the certifiably crazy to blab their garbage and call it freedom of speech. It is the same for me as it is for this homophobe. So, I celebrate my first amendment rights to say this lady is as bad as my sister in law who I finally had to unfollow because she is batshit crazy.

She sites just enough science to say it is not carried on the chromosomes. Well, that isn’t the only way something can be inborn. Lots and lots of things are not carried on the chromosomes, but they are still hardwired into our brains. Oh, and we can’t even find where other things we know are hereditary are on chromosomes, such as the instincts that make mothers and fathers love their babies. Partly instinctive, partly hormonal. But how we respond to the hormones is hard wired. Who we are attracted to also seems to be hardwired.

My daughter is bi, but leans strongly lesbian. She divorced the man because of problems that are much smaller than what she deals with in her wife. She just didn’t love her husband enough to get through any difficulties. And what is odd, is that I wondered if she was more attracted to women than men because of the type of man she dated. They were very effeminate.

If it is learned, then she should have learned to be straight by being married straight. But she didn’t. All she learned was that she can’t love a man any deeper than friendship, but she can love a woman deeply and fully.

This woman needs to get off the Faux news and get a real education in the science behind all LGBTQ issues.

I hope the newspaper is snowed in by letters saying how wrong this homophobe is.
Thank you for sharing this.

I should note one thing though: the newspaper doesn’t have a responsibility under the 1st amendment to print this. The first amendment guarantees the rights of a free press and free speech, but that only extends to government intervention. Private news organizations have no legal responsibility to publish anything whether they agree with it or not. The first amendment only prevents the government preventing them from doing so.

That said, I think the journalists in this instance chose to do so not because they agree, but because they’re lifting her up as an example of the craziness.

alas

Post by alas » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:40 am

IT_Veteran wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:32 am
alas wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:29 am
IT_Veteran wrote:

I don't know.

Thank you for sharing this.

I should note one thing though: the newspaper doesn’t have a responsibility under the 1st amendment to print this. The first amendment guarantees the rights of a free press and free speech, but that only extends to government intervention. Private news organizations have no legal responsibility to publish anything whether they agree with it or not. The first amendment only prevents the government preventing them from doing so.

That said, I think the journalists in this instance chose to do so not because they agree, but because they’re lifting her up as an example of the craziness.
My mother was a newspaper person, and very old school, when it was considered and WAS a legal responsibility. I forget sometimes that law got repealed and newspapers are no longer bound to balance and stay as objective as possible, but can put their editorial opinion as front page news. Newspapers no longer have to identify their slant as their opinion and can twist things into lies with no consequences. So, yeah, my bad on that. But I guess I am still old school journalist myself. I think newspapers should be willing to print both sides.

Perhaps this newspaper is also old school.

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:42 pm

This woman is clearly extreme and probably no fun at dinner parties. How common do you think this attitude actually is around the church? Has the Oaks talk encouraged his fundamentalist allies to speak up? This woman seems to think so.

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:48 pm

Corsair wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:42 pm
This woman is clearly extreme and probably no fun at dinner parties. How common do you think this attitude actually is around the church? Has the Oaks talk encouraged his fundamentalist allies to speak up? This woman seems to think so.
Absolutely that talk has emboldened people to speak up.

The church is currently teaching members that being gay is an evil that the word can not take. They try to soften that by saying those who are gay aren't evil themselves but will have to live in a lesser kingdom for acting on their natural impulses. It's pretty clear if you read between the lines that the soft tone of their voice is anything but.

But look at some of the apologists/defenders on social media since that talk - they have doubled down and are antagonistic towards people who question it. They were probably awful people to begin with, but this has given them a voice to cling to... much like our current political climate.

Wonderment

Post by Wonderment » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:56 pm

stealthbishop wrote:
Completely agree . Why amplify and give oxygen to the views of this bigot? If she wants to stand on the street corner and preach, then she can do that alone - that's one thing. But for the newspaper to willingly spread this hatred is another. I wish they wouldn't amplify the hate speech. That's horrible, vicious, and completely un-Christ-like. I'm so tired of hatred and bigotry justified in the name of religion. Just stop it. - Wndr.

achilles

Post by achilles » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:29 pm

jfro18 wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:48 pm
Corsair wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:42 pm
But look at some of the apologists/defenders on social media since that talk - they have doubled down and are antagonistic towards people who question it. They were probably awful people to begin with, but this has given them a voice to cling to... much like our current political climate.
Never underestimate the power of permission to commit terrible acts when conferred by a revered leader.
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.”

― Carl Sagan