NPR broadcast this Saturday

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
crossmyheart

NPR broadcast this Saturday

Post by crossmyheart » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:11 pm

This American Life program tomorrow morning on National Public Radio will be about bishops interviews and crazy sex questions.

I heard the ad this evening on my way home from work and loved the angle. A woman described telling her boyfriend about her family singing around the piano and he told her that wasn't exactly normal and then she compares that to describing sitting in a bishops interview talking about sex and how that is definitely not normal.

I seriously can't believe I used to think that bishops interviews about chastity were normal and acceptable.

Warms my heart to know Sam Young is keeping up the campaign.

Red Ryder

Re: NPR broadcast this Saturday

Post by Red Ryder » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:25 am

“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

FiveFingerMnemonic

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:21 am

Just listened to the episode on This American Life. I took great pleasure in the producers questioning of Eric Hawkins and the discomfort caused when she kept pressing him about whether the former practices were wrong and he had to keep dodging them. It was a well done program.

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:40 pm

FiveFingerMnemonic wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:21 am
Just listened to the episode on This American Life. I took great pleasure in the producers questioning of Eric Hawkins and the discomfort caused when she kept pressing him about whether the former practices were wrong and he had to keep dodging them. It was a well done program.
I cheered when Elna Baker told Brother Hawkins about the importance of admitting what you did wrong in order to start making up for it. Then he responded that he had conversations with his wife about that. The silence afterward was incredible.

Kishkumen

Post by Kishkumen » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:18 pm

i'm only 25 minutes in. I plan to listen to the remainder on my drive home.

Pretty good so far.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:30 pm

Great job Elna!

It's great to see this issue bubbling up to the level that the church is no longer to simply sweep it under the rug. I hope there are people at the top feeling very uncomfortable right now and that we'll continue to see this kind of visibility until they realize they have a bleeding wound that needs to be healed. It becomes more and more obvious that no positive change comes from inside.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Raylan Givens

Post by Raylan Givens » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:01 am

I listened to this. I was surprised when I heard it, I wasn't expecting it. I agree the whole idea of adults questioning kids is weird. I would never go that way with any kid I coach or teach. I would prefer that the church take an open door policy. No forced yearly interviews. Like most Church pastors take.
I also think parents should have the choice to decide if interviews happen. Maybe parents feel that is best, what is creepy to me is sacred to others.
"Ah, you know, I think you use the Bible to do whatever the hell you like" - Raylan Givens

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:43 am

A weird thing happened to me when Elna was talking about how growing up in the church has ruined her sex life because of the tally of sins-second-only-to-murder that is always running in her head. The TBM on my shoulder started yelling, "well good! That's how it's supposed to be. Repent and come back to the fold!"
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:25 am

Hagoth wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:43 am
A weird thing happened to me when Elna was talking about how growing up in the church has ruined her sex life because of the tally of sins-second-only-to-murder that is always running in her head. The TBM on my shoulder started yelling, "well good! That's how it's supposed to be. Repent and come back to the fold!"
Does the TBM on your shoulder look like Elder Bednar? He's a jerk!!
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:49 am

Red Ryder wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:25 am
Hagoth wrote:
Worse, Kimball! Sometimes I have Nelson on one shoulder throwing rocks at Monson and Hinkley on the other. Much collateral damage ensues.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:29 am

Hagoth wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:49 am
Red Ryder wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:25 am
Hagoth wrote:
Worse, Kimball! Sometimes I have Nelson on one shoulder throwing rocks at Monson and Hinkley on the other. Much collateral damage ensues.
Nelson throwing rocks: Giggle!

KeyStoneThrow.jpg
KeyStoneThrow.jpg (44.34 KiB) Viewed 6133 times
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

MerrieMiss

Post by MerrieMiss » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:01 pm

I listened. And then I cried.

crossmyheart

Post by crossmyheart » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:24 pm

MerrieMiss wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:01 pm
I listened. And then I cried.
This was more traumatic than I expected. It brought up memories I hadn't even remembered.

My Bishop was my first introduction to sex ed. I was a child. The same age as my daughter. So innapropriate.

Then the full out confessional of every private make out session. I was so innocent and believed I HAD to confess my private, intimate encounters. I was a grown ass adult telling a 70 year old stranger things I wouldn't even say to my own father.

Looking back it truly was insanity. How could I have been so gullible to believe this was a good thing?

I really appreciated the prologue all about gaslighting. The church is gaslighting everyone with this. Sam Young is my hero.

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:34 am

Radio West is doing a follow up interview with these folks today. I just caught the first part of it this morning on the commute.

http://radiowest.kuer.org/post/who-wort ... -and-shame

I'll catch the rest on the way home. Seems like a good listen to get even more insight into this topic.

One thing that really struck me about listening to how all those interviews negatively impacted the sex lives of those women is that I reflected on how it impacted mine as well. Even after I was married if my first wife wanted to explore more creative experiences, I would feel this guilt that those were the ways of the world and I should stay away from them. My experience with bishop interviews was very similar to those talked about on this program. Now I'm thinking the church had way more impact on my sex life than I ever admitted before.

One thing I've always wondered about Doug Frabrizio is if he's an active member of The Church. He's probably the most well read person in radio or even TV. He's done programs on nearly all the controversial church topics. One reveal in the interview this morning is that one of the women said he was in her mother's ward. Now that doesn't show how active he is, but it is a tell. With all that Doug knows, how can he not be a NOM? He's like the most objective interviewer I know and even seems to push for the controversial side, asking probing questions.

What do you think?
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

crossmyheart

Post by crossmyheart » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:04 pm

RubinHighlander wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:34 am
Radio West is doing a follow up interview with these folks today. I just caught the first part of it this morning on the commute.

http://radiowest.kuer.org/post/who-wort ... -and-shame

I'll catch the rest on the way home. Seems like a good listen to get even more insight into this topic.

One thing that really struck me about listening to how all those interviews negatively impacted the sex lives of those women is that I reflected on how it impacted mine as well. Even after I was married if my first wife wanted to explore more creative experiences, I would feel this guilt that those were the ways of the world and I should stay away from them. My experience with bishop interviews was very similar to those talked about on this program. Now I'm thinking the church had way more impact on my sex life than I ever admitted before.

One thing I've always wondered about Doug Frabrizio is if he's an active member of The Church. He's probably the most well read person in radio or even TV. He's done programs on nearly all the controversial church topics. One reveal in the interview this morning is that one of the women said he was in her mother's ward. Now that doesn't show how active he is, but it is a tell. With all that Doug knows, how can he not be a NOM? He's like the most objective interviewer I know and even seems to push for the controversial side, asking probing questions.

What do you think?
Thanks for sharing- it was like he just picked up where they left off and continued the conversation.

As for Frabrizio- another clue is he said Spencer Kimball. Not Spencer W. Kimball. A true dyed in the wool Mormon would have included the W!