The other shoe drops for Sam Young

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Hagoth

The other shoe drops for Sam Young

Post by Hagoth » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:02 pm

<sarcasm>The Christ-like love and brotherly concern here is truly heartwarming. <sarcasm>

https://invisiblescubit.wordpress.com/2 ... our-midst/
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Wonderment

Re: The other shoe drops for Sam Young

Post by Wonderment » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:17 am

That is absolutely- Orwellian. That sounds like some kind of dialog out of the novel "1984." I'm so sorry for Sam Young and his family, but he is now free of those "zombies." If anyone doubted the dysfunctionalism of the church leaders, it is there for everyone, the entire world, to see.
Thanks for sending this along. -- Wndr.

Rob4Hope

Post by Rob4Hope » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:38 am

Most of these "courts of love" are just controlled. The church lies out its face with this non-disclosure stuff. And its soooooo stacked. You have 16 men (usually) in those courts,...and unless they let you bring in someone on your side, its kindof lop-sided...would you say?

Its their turf. They are the ones who control it. Its crazy that we even involve ourselves in it. There needs to be more courts of LAW invoked that even the playing field against the church.

nibbler

Post by nibbler » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:57 am

They sure do like to waste a lot of people's time. Sam, the SP, and the former BP.

I guess they didn't want to pay for the postage for a letter on official letterhead that said:
No.

P.S. - Go away.
We don’t see things as they are, we see them as we are.
– Anais Nin

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:15 pm

That was a Kafkaesque scenario. It felt like church lawyers were involved who simply did not want any kind of legal material that Sam Young could retain afterwards. As it stands, any inquiry into Sam's status will be simply given the answer, "This is a private, ecclesiastic matter and we will not comment." Sam has nothing in hand that he can show to the press going forward and church lawyers like it that way.

I have heard of at least one other case largely like this. It seems to happen when the church is dealing with a PR situation. If adultery leads to excommunication then a fully signed letter will be provided because that's not newsworthy. But if making a principled stand against the institutional church is a possibility, then Kirton-McConkie does not want to provide any possible ammunition.

Kishkumen

Post by Kishkumen » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:12 pm

When I was a TBM, I was more afraid of a potential church court than any civil court.

So dumb.

Anon70

Post by Anon70 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:24 pm

His description of the meeting - it felt so insulting. No answers. No respect. No courtesy. So lacking in Christlike love and compassion.

Raylan Givens

Post by Raylan Givens » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:55 am

It's weird that they didn't just call him. Probably some manditory check off, I don't blame thr So and BP for putting him off on getting a copy of things. The whole process is pretty corporate and legal, no loose ends
"Ah, you know, I think you use the Bible to do whatever the hell you like" - Raylan Givens

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:47 am

On one hand it's very corporate and legal, but on the other hand it is the exact opposite.

When I resigned, I got a letter from the church, though the lawyer handling the case (quitmormon.org) stating that I had been removed from the rolls. Both sides have proof that I'm out. I can use it to keep the local leaders from bugging me, and the church can use it to prevent me from claiming I am still a member.

The fact that they refuse to put anything in writing is very odd. That is the opposite of how a legal entity operates. If Sam really wanted to push it, he could basically say that since they have never given him anything in writing, he has no proof he has actually been removed from the church and is still a member in good standing. Conversely, the church cannot keep him out of anything because they have for formally given him notice that he has been removed. If he has a TR, he could potentially still use it. Also the fact that they refuse to give him copies of the document he has to sign as part of the Ex process, like the NDA. For all he knows, the church has not actually ex-ed him, and it is only the SP who is trying to jerk him around.

This is something that a Lawyer could have a lot of fun with. The question is does Sam have the balls to really push on this or will he just roll over and take it? To me it seems like there is something else going on here.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:10 am

Just This Guy wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:47 am
If Sam really wanted to push it, he could basically say that since they have never given him anything in writing, he has no proof he has actually been removed from the church and is still a member in good standing.
The interaction in this thread is only in regard to Sam's "Appeal" to the first presidency. Sam has a letter from his original tribunal informing him he is no longer a member.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:42 am

Sam is delusional if he thinks he's going to:

A) win an appeal.
B) be taken serious in an appeal.
C) be given documentation to put on the internet.
D) ever be let back in to the Mormon church.

He's embarrassed the leadership of the church on a local level, a regional level, a national level, an international level, and a Kolobian level.

He's embarrassed the Q12, the FP, and even Heavenly Father himself. He's exposed the church as an organization ripe for sexual predator Bishops and counselors to roam freely among the most vulnerable youth in the name of worthiness interviews.

It's a shame the church doesn't see the obvious problems and make sweeping changes.

Why would Sam even want to file an appeal in the first place? To rejoin the organization that allows for abuse of children to continue? F that!

“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Reuben

Post by Reuben » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:11 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:42 am
Why would Sam even want to file an appeal in the first place? To rejoin the organization that allows for abuse of children to continue? F that!
He wants to lose the appeal and have proof that the First Presidency had reviewed and rejected it. Then nobody could honestly say it was only a local decision.

He wants to drag the FP into the fight.
Learn to doubt the stories you tell about yourselves and your adversaries.

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:08 pm

Reuben wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:11 pm
Red Ryder wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:42 am
He wants to lose the appeal and have proof that the First Presidency had reviewed and rejected it. Then nobody could honestly say it was only a local decision.

He wants to drag the FP into the fight.
And knowing this, TFP has refused, via his stake president, to give him a written notice of his appeal being denied.