John Larsen to return to Mormon podcasting

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Hagoth

John Larsen to return to Mormon podcasting

Post by Hagoth » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:20 pm

From a press release by the Sunstone Foundation:
In January 2019, the Sunstone Education Foundation will launch a new weekly podcast hosted by John Larsen. Previously the host of Mormon Expression, Larsen is a veteran podcaster who served as executive director for the Whitefields Foundation.

Following Sunstone’s motto, “More than one way to Mormon,” the podcast will cast a wide net, engaging with thought leaders throughout the Mormon tradition regardless of their affiliation or faith status. It will focus on ideas and movements that shape Mormon theology, history, and culture.

“Both Sunstone and I believe that the Mormon tradition draws its richness from its many flavors and iterations—from the L.D.S. Church Office Building in Salt Lake City, to the fundamentalist colonies in Mexico, to the ex-Mormons living throughout the world—and, of course, everyone in between,” says Larsen.
I'm looking forward to this.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Ghost

Re: John Larsen to return to Mormon podcasting

Post by Ghost » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:35 pm

Oh, this is good news. I'd hoped that he'd return to the scene one day.

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:16 pm

I know there are some that seem to really resent John Larsen, but I've gotten so much out of his podcasts over the last 6-7 months.

Glad to see he will be back doing more!

Stig

Post by Stig » Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:56 pm

Yeah...not a fan of John...too much effort expended by him to build a following. Same reason I have no use for John Dehlin.
“Some say he’s wanted by the CIA and that he sleeps upside down like a Bat. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

“Some say that he lives in a tree, and that his sweat can be used to clean precious metals. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:29 pm

I liked Larsen at his peak. Since then I banned myself from Mormon themed podcasts.

There’s just so much new and more exciting content in the world now that my eyes have been opened. Did you guys know there’s a really big population outside of Utah that doesn’t even know what the Word of Wisodom, Law of Chastity, or temple endowments are all about? Some of these people don’t even beleive in Jesus Christ!

I know crazy, huh?
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:48 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:29 pm
I liked Larsen at his peak. Since then I banned myself from Mormon themed podcasts.

There’s just so much new and more exciting content in the world now that my eyes have been opened. Did you guys know there’s a really big population outside of Utah that doesn’t even know what the Word of Wisodom, Law of Chastity, or temple endowments are all about? Some of these people don’t even beleive in Jesus Christ!

I know crazy, huh?
If DW left the church, I could walk away from all of this so quickly - especially the podcasts, reddit, etc. This board is just so much calmer that it's honestly way more constructive than anywhere else I've found online.

Until then I guess I feel like I'm stuck in this purgatory on earth with no end in sight, so some of the podcasts are nice to feel like I'm not crazy.

But at some point I'm sure I'll burn out on all of this and just move on - I can only hope anyway.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:26 pm

jfro18 wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:48 pm
If DW left the church, I could walk away from all of this so quickly - especially the podcasts, reddit, etc. This board is just so much calmer that it's honestly way more constructive than anywhere else I've found online.

Until then I guess I feel like I'm stuck in this purgatory on earth with no end in sight, so some of the podcasts are nice to feel like I'm not crazy.

But at some point I'm sure I'll burn out on all of this and just move on - I can only hope anyway.
Yup, me too! My 51% TBM/49% NOM spouse is the keystone to my mormon religion. The day she's out is the day I'm out. I've been down in the rabbit hole for way too long. I love it down here but sometimes I feel like disaffected Mormonism has become my religion hence the reason for stopping podcasts. I love the fun discussions and the creative outlet for my wacky mormon sense of humor.

Having said that, I hope John Larsen can find his groove again podcasting as I enjoyed his interview style. I just hope it doesn't add to the exmo cannibalism and infighting regarding podcast pay, and exmo celebrity compensation. That discussion has gotten really old!

Carry on my NOMs, carry on!
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg