Shoot the messenger

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Hagoth

Shoot the messenger

Post by Hagoth » Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:53 am

Is the shoot-the-messenger approach the church is taking with its latest round of excommunications a viable and sustainable tactic for them? It seems like, if enough decent people get hacked down in their prime for simply challenging verifiably problematic issues, it could eventually catch up with the church and backfire.

What the church might want to consider is that when you chop off the head of a Sam Young or a Bill Reel they sprout another thousand heads.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

dogbite

Re: Shoot the messenger

Post by dogbite » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:29 am

They don't want the members verifying anything the brethren didn't tell them. Follow the prophet is the mantra

Most members haven't heard of sam young or bill reel and don't care about their issues.

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:34 am

Beyond that, I think its a show of just how out of touch they are with the modern world. You can't keep secrets today. Secrets have a way of becoming public.

Of course, there is the whole thing about why would they need to keep secrets in the first place? I think it all comes down to one thing:
The wicket take the truth to be hard.
1 Nephi 16:24

Deep down they know there are issues and problems. However, fixing them takes effort, money, and above all humility. Like any good business, they want to minimize the effort and money loss. But above all, they are so caught up in their own pride that they can't see the problems right in front of their own face. They have become the very people that Christ preached against.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:45 am

I was thinking about this last night as well. Chopping off these heads may offer some benefit to TBMs, giving them false confidence in the COBs authority. On the other side it acts as a catalyst for a bunch of NOMs to go ahead and resign. Look for the uptick spikes on https://quitmormon.com/.
Making these NOMs ExMos, gives them additional media attention, which provides more support for NOMs to witness bad behavior by the COB.

Maybe this is the separation of the wheat from tares from the COBs view. Maybe the COB doesn't care about the numbers as much anymore. They just want a leaner cleaner TBM membership that falls exactly inline with their old man conservative ignorant bigoted thinking. This year Cook changed the truth claim narrative from growth to the few zealots vs. the wicked. Obviously RSM had no worries about the millions the COB will spend on rebranding sans Mormon, why would he care if they lose a few outspoken doubters? They have so much in the bank now, with interest growing, that a dip is tithes probably doesn't matter anymore.

Watch for the the next round of GC talks to include something about the wheat and tares and or mentions the small righteous vs. the big bad wicked world.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:54 pm

There will always be a long list of disaffected Mormons who vocally complain about the church and it's leaders.

It seems you can't develop a media product that publicly opposes, publicly exposes, and publicly supposes the church and Q15 are complete idiots.

More importantly they don't want anyone to develop a following that takes allegiance away from them.

Just thinking out loud here about the grassroots efforts to change the church and what may come next?

Attempts and result:
Mormon stories - exed
Snufferites - exed
Rock Waterman - tithing - exed
Kate Kelly - Ordain Women - exed
Sam Young - Youth interviews - exed
Bill Reel - Middle Way - exed
Red Ryder - ban daily wear and push garments to temple only (if needed at all) - exed?

I think that's going to be my calling in life! The Lord has visited my bed and impressed upon my mind this revelation.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:34 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:54 pm
Red Ryder - ban daily wear and push garments to temple only (if needed at all) - exed?

I think that's going to be my calling in life! The Lord has visited my bed and impressed upon my mind this revelation.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:50 pm

If they shoot the internet, is it going to go away?

Nope!

Mr. Gore would never let that happen.

It doesn't matter how many people they throw overboard, the good ship Zion-mc-boaty-face is sinking. I doubt it will ever go completely under, but the number of folks who stay in the boat will continue to grow smaller.

The bigoted old guys at the top may never admit it, but the writing seems to be on the wall.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:15 pm

--Douglas Adams